The Official Book of Souls Tour 2017 Thread (Warning: Spoilers Within)

Guitar news. Jan's sunburst reliced Sandberg is back (used on Trooper). So it seems that Janick is carrying 8 guitars with him on this tour (including the acoustic), which is by far the most ever.

There is still one question about the setlist. Will they play Trooper in Dublin?

We saw them in Dublin in 2010 and they didn't play it then, although the setlist was drawn mostly from the "reunion" albums which may have been the reason and nothing to do with Bruce waving the Union Flag around.

Having said that afterwards in the bar people were complaining because they didn't play all the classics. I guess the band can't really win can they?

We saw them in Dublin in 2010 and they didn't play it then, although the setlist was drawn mostly from the "reunion" albums which may have been the reason and nothing to do with Bruce waving the Union Flag around.

Having said that afterwards in the bar people were complaining because they didn't play all the classics. I guess the band can't really win can they?
Yup. That is true. But the last time they played Trooper (2003 I think) they were boooed. The next two times they played Dublin, Trooper wasn't in the set (2006 and 2010). They played Belfast (which is also a place where the song can cause some problems) in 2011 they simply dropped it. My bold prediction for Dublin is that the same is gonna happen and we will have a 14 song setlist. Or maybe Hallowed can return for 1 night, since it was rehearsed.

They didn't play The Trooper in 2010 at all.
I know. I just wrote that (se the post above yours). They played Dublin in 2006 (the full AMLOAD set) and 2010 (the reunion set). The only instance where Trooper could cause some trouble was in Belfast in 2011 and they simply dropped it.

"Most of us" actually would care. Unfortunately, "most of us" are not posting on message boards and discussing setlists. 80-90% of Maiden fans don't hang out and dissect their music the way we do and actually are there to see pyro, big inflatables, and hear Run to the Hills. It's sad, but true.

How did you come up with 80%+ number? That's just your conjecture.

How did you come up with 80%+ number? That's just your conjecture.

Yes of course it is. But I doubt that I'm too far off.

Maiden gigs in every U.S. city have an average of 10,000 people at them (more in Europe and South America). Let's just do the math from the Las Vegas gig, which had capacity of almost 12,000 people, probably had 11,000 tickets sold. I met up or saw people from these message boards, totaling less than 10 people. In Vegas, we went to a bar holding the "Official Maiden Fan Club" meetup and there were probably 150-200 people in there. These are all people actively talking on Maidenfans and the official Maiden message board. Now, let's throw in an extra 300 people just to be on the high end and count things like reddit or even Facebook, that gives us 510 that went to the Vegas show who actively participate in internet discussion with other Maiden fans and probably have a lot of comments about the setlist...and we're still at less than 5% of the people that attended the gig.

Sure this is all made up science, but I really don't think I'm wrong that most people who go to a concert don't care as much about setlists as we do.

Guitar news. Jan's sunburst reliced Sandberg is back (used on Trooper). So it seems that Janick is carrying 8 guitars with him on this tour (including the acoustic), which is by far the most ever.
Damn. I can't even make snarky comments about all of them being copies of the exact same Stratocaster because he actually plays a Les Paul on Eternity. It's like he's always one step ahead of me!

Last edited:
Yes of course it is. But I doubt that I'm too far off.

Maiden gigs in every U.S. city have an average of 10,000 people at them (more in Europe and South America). Let's just do the math from the Las Vegas gig, which had capacity of almost 12,000 people, probably had 11,000 tickets sold. I met up or saw people from these message boards, totaling less than 10 people. In Vegas, we went to a bar holding the "Official Maiden Fan Club" meetup and there were probably 150-200 people in there. These are all people actively talking on Maidenfans and the official Maiden message board. Now, let's throw in an extra 300 people just to be on the high end and count things like reddit or even Facebook, that gives us 510 that went to the Vegas show who actively participate in internet discussion with other Maiden fans and probably have a lot of comments about the setlist...and we're still at less than 5% of the people that attended the gig.

Sure this is all made up science, but I really don't think I'm wrong that most people who go to a concert don't care as much about setlists as we do.

That's not the point. I interpreted your post as 80% of the audience want nothing more than pure classics sort of stuff. Based what kind of feedback Blood Brothers had at the last show, I couldn't disagree more.
Your thesis allows for huge margin of error, because of non-community-member -> play classics relation which can't be proven, add in the regional differences (Maiden plays worldwide after all, USA is just a minority of audience), and it's quite moot I'm afraid.

That's not the point. I interpreted your post as 80% of the audience want nothing more than pure classics sort of stuff. Based what kind of feedback Blood Brothers had at the last show, I couldn't disagree more.
Your thesis allows for huge margin of error, because of non-community-member -> play classics relation which can't be proven, add in the regional differences (Maiden plays worldwide after all, USA is just a minority of audience), and it's quite moot I'm afraid.

No, no, I agree with you. I'm not saying that the people I'm talking about are strictly the "play classics" crowd, I'm simply saying that I think a good majority of people who go to the shows don't put as much thought or care into the setlist as we do.

They might even be right. I don't remember anything as clearly as the energy at the shows. Maybe due to shit sound at the venue. Maybe it's hard to follow a certain band member do a certain part at your favourite song when everyone is going haywire around you.
This forum gets a bit anal about the setlists. Shows will always be 100% spectacular. Now when I care about setlists, it's because of the live DVDs, where I can appreciate the sound. A live DVD of classics only is not a good thing, so you need setlists that have some flavour to them.

Back