The Official Book of Souls Tour 2017 Thread (Warning: Spoilers Within)

Time for the first GIF of the tour:
giphy.gif

I think they might rotate the set on this tour. Hallowed was rehearsed and probably dropped due Bruce's cold (assuming that he had cold last night, it sounded like that, especially on TBOS). The Gary Moore LP isn't the only guitar that didn't make it to the show. There was also the Vintage White Floyd Rose Classic Stratocaster next to it on the stand on the rehearsals photo, but not on the one taken before the show. Let me listen through SOTV and I'll tell ya.

Result: No. That solo requires Floyd Rose.

So there's still a chance he might use it tomorrow?

I think they might rotate the set on this tour. Hallowed was rehearsed and probably dropped due Bruce's cold (assuming that he had cold last night, it sounded like that, especially on TBOS). The Gary Moore LP isn't the only guitar that didn't make it to the show. There was also the Vintage White Floyd Rose Classic Stratocaster next to it on the stand on the rehearsals photo, but not on the one taken before the show. Let me listen through SOTV and I'll tell ya.

Result: No. That solo requires Floyd Rose.
Thank you! I guess we'll have to wait and see- tomorrow's setlist should bring us the answer! Normally I'd say no, but the past few years have been full of strange out-of-the-ordinary set changes from them- (starting with the exclusion of Hallowed in 2012-14)

Thank you! I guess we'll have to wait and see- tomorrow's setlist should bring us the answer! Normally I'd say no, but the past few years have been full of strange out-of-the-ordinary set changes from them- (starting with the exclusion of Hallowed in 2012-14)
I'd say we need to see today's and tomorrow's setlist to be sure for the European leg. They could still be hit with the axe of madness before the US leg.

Last edited:
Since when do unused guitars, unused during ONE gig, mean that other songs will still come into the setlist. Ever heard about spare guitars? Don't want to be pessimistic but on which basis is this hypothesis founded? Any previous examples? A guitar set during rehearsals has nothing to do with a setlist. The guys just try different things.

Also, I find it hard to imagine to drop a major song in the setlist on the first gig, for one day (or for as long as it is needed) because of a cold. Unprecedented.

Colds and guitars, interesting matters, but I yet have to be convinced they are important for a setlist. Let's wait and see.

If they change anything on a second or other early gig of a leg, it was always because it didn't feel or go right.

@Lego I thought The Mercenary was played at every BNW tour gig. Meaning no rotation. Please say so if you find examples to contradict me, then I need to adapt the Songs that were played live topic. If I'm right, this line-up hardly rotated apart from a while in DOD and Paschendale in 2010. After four or five rotations they stuck with DOD.

Last edited:
That does not mean The Mercenary was not played. Fallen Angel sometimes came in and out the setlist but I thought it did not rotate with another song, or at least not with The Mercenary.

I will have a look as well. My sources on these gigs were mostly two websites with bootleg info.

But can you find all other songs? Perhaps TFAngel was shared or filmed because it was rare.

EDIT:
@TheTalisman and @Lego thanks, it indeed looks -also according to bootleg info-, that The Mercenary was not played on these two gigs. Will try to check that for all other concerts as well, later. And change into the topic accordingly. :ok:

Last edited:
I will have a look as well. My sources on these gigs were mostly two websites with bootleg info.

But can you find all other songs? Perhaps TFAngel was shared or filmed because it was rare.

@TheTalisman and @Lego thanks, it indeed looks -also according to bootleg info-, that The Mercenary was not played on these two gigs. Will try to check that for all other concerts as well. And change into the topic accordingly. :ok:
I spoke with a lot of people that were at the Izola gig and all of them said that Mercenary was not played

Yeah, I know. I just felt it was a good idea to point out that hearing protection is mandatory if you like your hearing, even at a Maiden gig which aren't that loud (I mean, you can make out the music just fine on a shitty phone video shot from the gig. Try the same thing for a vid shot at a Metallica gig and it's usually just noise) in comparison to other bands.
I'm willing to protect my ears, and I had plugs during the painful gig of Shinedown, but Maiden's sound level was not high enough saturday night. From where I was (on the left), the sound was rather bad, and Bruce was too high in the mix. Anyway, that was a fantastic gig, with a great setlist; my only regret is Tears of a Clown being dropped. I can do without Hallowed, I've heard many times, but ToaC is a fantastic song I fear we will never get to hrear live again. Wrathchild is great, but Bruce can't sing it properly.

The problem I have with Wrathchild today (aside from boringness and shortness of the song itself) is that it lacks the punch and rawness that this song needs. Bruce lost some of that due to aging (the high notes are still there). Comparing to the DOTR version, it seems to be a bit too polished. If they would play BNW instead of it, it would be a massive upgrade and it would sound better.

Songs that they could rehearse during soundcheck, that would suit the "older" Maiden would be: BNW (rehearsed last year), TOAC (played last year), Revelations (played 2014), 2MTM (played 2014), TETMD (played 2014), CIPWM (played 2014) and even Prisoner (played 2014). They would all be a better fit. I don't even want to think what they could play (Killers, FOI, SIASL, 22AA...)

The problem I have with Wrathchild today (aside from boringness and shortness of the song itself) is that it lacks the punch and rawness that this song needs. Bruce lost some of that due to aging (the high notes are still there).
For me, this song needs Clive's punchy beat and Paul's agressive voice. Nagoya's recording, when is voice is almost fucked, is perfect in that respect.

Can BNW really be considered older Maiden? I would have thought it didnt really tick the 'classics' box (ie 80s), and my guess is that's a major reason why Wrathchild is there. Madness would have fitted nicely, even if it got done to death on Maiden England, same with Evil.

Totally agree that Wrathchild isn't a great match for Bruce's voice, though.

Can BNW really be considered older Maiden? I would have thought it didnt really tick the 'classics' box (ie 80s), and my guess is that's a major reason why Wrathchild is there. Madness would have fitted nicely, even if it got done to death on Maiden England, same with Evil.

Totally agree that Wrathchild isn't a great match for Bruce's voice, though.

I'm just thinking what could be a better song in that spot. They don't need to play a classic there.

They would have been great yes, but are not realistic options. They haven't played those songs in ages (the most recent, Wildest Dreams 2010). We know that they weren't rehearsed, so no chance of getting those.

Dear Iron Maiden, if you are doing soundchecks, can you please give Revelations and CIPWM a go, and replace this lifeless version of Wrathchild with one of them (or better, rotate them).

They would have been great yes, but are not realistic options. They haven't played those songs in ages (the most recent, Wildest Dreams 2010).

Fair enough, I was going more on the vocal difficulty than how frequently they were played. I wonder if they remember ATSS?

Back