The Official Book of Souls Tour 2017 Thread (Warning: Spoilers Within)

I feel like after SBIT was such a huge success, ME was doomed from the start. I think the temptation to make the most predictable "classics" setlist possible to appeal to the casual fanbase and maximize exposure just became too big to resist for the band. They could've pulled in deep cuts, but realistically it would've meant leaving out some of the hits to avoid the set length getting out of hand, so they didn't. Plus picking out proven live songs they've done a hundred times before probably was somewhat appealing at first since 2010 was mostly all reunion era stuff and 2011 had a fair amount of new songs to deal with.

Afraid to shoot strangers was actually what replaced Infinite Dreams. Rod said the band rehearsed Infinite Dreams but chose ATSS instead... I can't understand why they would be willing to pull a deep cut from a relatively unpopular album but not from Somewhere in Time... Don't get me wrong, ATSS is a great track and was pleasant to hear but I would have much preferred Infinite dreams or something from SIT by miles.. I agree with the Still Life comment too. That song has never made it to the states. They dropped it back in 83 when they came to the states and didn't add it to Maiden England in 88 till after they left... it's a track we've never heard here.. Same with Sea of Madness from SIT... and The Loneliness.... but that was only heard once in history which baffles me to this day

ATSS is a great track and was pleasant to hear but I would have much preferred Infinite dreams or something from SIT by miles..
Wasn't it Bruce that asked for another song than Infinite, because he came to the conclusion that it would be too demanding to perform on a long tour?
And I can fully understand that, because the set already had lots of difficult songs to sing: Moonchild, The Trooper, Run to the Hills, Seventh Son, The Clairvoyant, Aces High and The Evil That Men Do etc.

Last edited:
Yep, most definitely Infinite dreams was too hard to sing. That also being the case with Loneliness for sure.

I just hope they get rid of TRATB. It’s the only stinker in the setlist.
I would rather have Virus then that song.

Last edited:
The mediocre bass intro to TRATB is
Definitely my cue to head to the beer stand. Maybe Steve would replace it with two of HIS other songs?
Perhaps the aforementioned Still life and another from BOS... shadows.. or the great unknown..? Seems this song comes up a lot as a potential replacement for leg 2 but ends up with "Steve wants his song in so forget it" .. really hope he does the right thing and makes the change.

Say what you want about TRATB but the last 4mins are a cert to be a big highlight.
I vote for a medley; Wrathchild-Last 4mins of TRATB- Wrathchild

The only scenario in which I can see TRATB being replaced is if Bruce is struggling with it in rehearsals. Otherwise it will stay.

The song was the Paschendale of this tour, I'm sure on numerous dates, the band couldn't keep time and kept losing where they were in the song. Now like Paschendale, I hope it's dropped.

The band nailed it in Vegas, and it actually sounded better than the studio. IMO the problem isn't how the band performs it live, it's the fact that it is being played at all.
Maybe they have Paschendale down perfectly and can swap it out.:D IMO the bands finest achievement (PFD!) of the reunion era. Traded in for their most regrettable , TRATB .

My neighbour's mate's postman's brother works for Robinsons and delivered a crate of Trooper to the rehearsals and he saw a scrap of paper detailing the forthcoming tour setlist;

If Eternity Should Fail
Speed of Light
Infinite Dreams
Prodigal Son (with surprise guest vocalist)
Invaders
Flash of the Blade
Women in Uniform
To Tame a Land
Alexander The Great
Iron Maiden
Mother Russia
Unchained Melody (cover)
The Apparition
Weekend Warrior
2 A.M. (With surprise guest vocalist)
Age of Innocence
Isle of Avalon
Tears of the Dragon (acoustic)
Empire of the Clouds

I take it with a pinch of salt myself, it's entirely possible that might just play the same setlist as last year.

Wasn't it Bruce that asked for another song than Infinite, because he came to the conclusion that it would be too demanding to perform on a long tour?
And I can fully understand that, because the set already had lots of difficult songs to sing: Moonchild, The Trooper, Run to the Hills, Seventh Son, The Clairvoyant, Aces High and The Evil That Men Do etc.

At least two of those songs (Aces High and RTTH, both of which were later in the set than Infinite Dreams would've been) didn't have to be, and shouldn't have been included in the set IMO.

There's no way Steve's letting TRATB fall from the set, he's too stubborn for that.

Yep, unless by some miracle he's persuaded to replace it with another one of his modern epics

When The Wild Wind Blows would be a good replacement for it.

I would love to see Sign of the Cross, but it has been been 16 years since they performed it the last time and I don't think they want to put it together again.

Back