The Official Book of Souls Tour 2017 Thread (Warning: Spoilers Within)

Wait, do we even have confirmation that there's a SotV shirt? I thought it was just speculation based on what somebody reported.

The Great Unknown over Tears of a Clown is a big upgrade for me. Wratchchild over Hallowed is a massive downgrade but if it means Bruce survives the tour I'm all for it. Can't see them rotating songs - only time that was done was for the first few US shows in 2010 before they finalized what worked best.

Sad to lose Hallowed, but it is hard on vocals. Very pleased with Great Unknown, I thought this was one they'd never do live. Also glad to keep COTD.

I refer you to the SIASL shirt from 2013
Yes I know, I actually own the 2012 version :p

I'm just saying it's odd they'd pick TWO totally different songs to put on a single shirt when neither are showing up.

At least half of the Powerslave/Ghost of the Navigator shirt from last year made sense.

It's cool they added a new song, but dropping Tears of a Clown for Wrathchild is a real kick in the nuts. And I'd take Hallowed over Powerslave, Wasted Years or Blood Brothers. This adds to the disappointment of not having seen them last year.

Maiden official setlist confirmation
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTM5162gdBM/
Oh boy I love the comments on that one. Particularly the all-caps, poorly spelled "what about Run to the Hills, it's the only song I like". Why are you even commenting on the band's social media if you literally like one song in their entire catalog?

Sad to see Hallowed go, but if it's necessary for Bruce's sake then there's not much you can say. I'd rather not have another candidate for worst Hallowed ever. That 1986 one is good enough, thanks.

Set is exactly what they said it would be - a few changes. I'm fine with it even if it feels one song short.

Very disappointed to see Hallowed go, but at least Powerslave, COTD and Wasted Years stayed on. Silver linings and all that.

I'm just saying it's odd they'd pick TWO totally different songs to put on a single shirt when neither are showing up.

At least half of the Powerslave/Ghost of the Navigator shirt from last year made sense.

I see where you're coming from, my guess is that dropping Hallowed was a last-minute decision. Funny you should mention the Powerslave/GotN shirt, I've got it

Oh yeah, now it makes perfect sense. Hallowed was dropped last-minute so they didn't have time to rehearse anything different from the usual, so Wrathchild it is. Damn, though. Only two songs from NotB and only one of them is one of the usual suspects. That's literally never happened before, has it?

Oh yeah, now it makes perfect sense. Hallowed was dropped last-minute so they didn't have time to rehearse anything different from the usual, so Wrathchild it is. Damn, though. Only two songs from NotB and only one of them is one of the usual suspects. That's literally never happened before, has it?
The only time we got close was 2012-14: RTTH, NOTB and... The Prisoner. But that was still 3 NOTB tunes.

Well, I'm definitely on minority here, because I just love TOAC, it's one of the best short-songs Maiden done after the reunion (right there with Rainmaker, Coming Home and Wicker Man for me). Heavy, amazing solo, catchy riff and chorus. Great Unknown is a nice song, yes, but it's just...grey. I mean, I like to hear it, but it's definitely not the song that stands out in an album. It's like BTOATS: a cool song, it's cool to hear, but it's not the best thing made since the wheel. In my experience (this is completely subjective), it's just a meh song: good if there, I wouldn't shed a tear if it wasn't. SOTV I don't like, though. It's not my most "unfavorite" song of TBOS because of the uninspired Men of Sorrows.

Not a word against Hallowed being better than Wrathchild, though. But, hey, it's the band's call, they are the ones that'll need to sing and play the same song more than 20 times, not us. And I get the hate on Wrathchild here (it's a band's forum, obviously everyone here'll have a thing for B-side and obscure songs. I'm no exception on this), but think it out: it's a catchy song. You bang your head, you jump around, you scream the chorus, it's a metal concert in a nutshell. Easy for the band, enjoyable for 95% of the fans. I totally support they playing it, it's a better stamp than stamps from other bands (I'm looking at you, Nothing Else Matters).

Overall, I don't care about this setlist too much, since I'll not hear it. But it's a coin toss if I actually had tickets for a concert: I love Hallowed, but I understand the drop; no one can actually be bored with Wrathchild, except if you set your mind for it. Wrathchild is Early NWOBHM 101; I don't like or dislike TGU, so I would just stay there and enjoy the beautiful new backdrop; I would be upset about TOAC being dropped (my 1C song in TBOS, 1A being TRATB and 1B being IESF). And y'all must understand something: this is a summer tour. Quick leg, far from being a world tour (although some bands seems to call a tour World Tour if it includes just the US and western Europe), it was clear that they wouldn't make a revolution in the stage. It could've been worse. Our british friends are up to a great experience, this stage is one of the best of the last times.

Now, if you excuse me, I'll prepare a prayer for a late 2018 World Tour that don't limit itself to São Paulo and Rio. Or that it does, whatever, I'll attend anyway.

When you look at it from the perspective of albums represented, this setlist sure is weird. The debut, Killers and PoM are all as usual, but we actually have six songs from the latest album (and one previously unplayed one, now, on the second year of touring), two songs off of NotB but no Hallowed or RTTH, one song from SiT on an album tour (and it's not flippin' HCW, celebrations), nothing from SSOASS and just one reunion-era track. Oh yeah, and one Powerslave tune, but not the one you'd expect. Honestly, I'd say the setlist is still pretty good.

e: I forgot about Davey's new Les Paul. Was it used for TGU? Because if not (and assuming it didn't appear anywhere else either), that could still hint at the possibility of that spot rotating.

Back