The Official Book of Souls Tour 2016 Thread (Warning: Spoilers within!)

Exactly, which is fair. I'm not in a hurry to hear Flight of Icarus live.

I find it more disappointing when it affects songs like Isle of Avalon or Paschendale being played.

Yeah, Avalon was a song I really wanted to see ... my favorite on that album.
Paschendale, I thought was really good live, but is one of the songs I think is better on the album .. where it is just fucking awesome

They don't use any click track or anything like that, do they? I've read something about them having problems with some of the songs live, do you think that might be the reason? That is, 'Arry wanting to play it faster and getting impatient and H holding back?
That's definitely the reason I think, if you have a guitarist who doesn't lock in with the rhythm section you're going to have major problems. Especially when doing a song with a lot of starts and stops and tempo changes. There's a video on youtube somewhere (it could also be a DVD) where they play Wasted Years, H does the intro at a slow comfortable tempo and then once Nicko and Steve come in the tempo increases a ton.

And AFAIK Maiden has never used a click track.

Stuff like A Real Live Dead One is pushing the tempo to ridiculous extremes
I for one think that these versions are played the way they should be played. "Fear of the Dark" on ARLO (the record with which I discovered the band) is the best live version of the song in my opinion, to such extent that its "fast" part sounds ridiculous on Rock in Rio.

However, on earlier tours, they did play some songs too fast according to some of the musicians (I think both Clive and Nicko had complained about that).

I'm pretty sure if Adrian wasn't such a perfectionist like that they would've played IOA and/or Starblind on the TFF tour. At least one of the two. They usually get to most of the epics, on TFF they only did two. On TBOS they only missed one (two if you want to count Shadows of the Valley), which are songs Adrian had nothing to do with writing.

Yep. I seem to remember an interview where they specifically mentioned the song, but my mind may be making things up.

Also remember, Bruce Dickinson was playing the song with H live right before the reunion tour. Check out the tempo, no way Steve and Nicko would keep it this slow:

And Bruce is nailing it btw, no question that he can still do it.
Amazing! Could Bruce still pull off that endless high note at the end? It's such a shame this incredible song has been out of the setlist since 1985. It's so powerful, and Adrian's solo is classic.

OK, i need to organize this on topics.

* RavenAge is good. The vocalist is a nice frontman, the songs got the crowd going pretty well and, well, it was good songs, really. I'll listen to their debut on Spotify tomorrow, that's for sure. And it was cute to see Steve watching his son on the backstage, even recording the crowd reaction to a song (The Angel in Disgrace, or something like that. I can't remember correctly, thanks to Maiden). It was a nice surprise.

* Anthrax were great, but, i can't say why, it dissapointed me a little. The songs were great, Belladonna was on fire and they closed the set with Indians, my favourite song. Then again, i could be dissapointed because i wanted to see Maiden as quickly as possible. But it was a hell of a warm up.

* And, the main event...i expected a great show, an amazing, nearly flawless. Well, i got a completely flawless show. I'm completely broken physically, i can't feel my ankles until now (they finished the concert around 90 minutes ago, i just took a shower and ate some pizza leftovers), but i wanted to stay there for another whole hour. I can't see how any other concert will be better than this one. Anyway, i was around the 5th or 6th row, considering the barrier, when Doctor Doctor started. After this, everything went down on If Eternity Should Fail, i never jumped AND got lifted like that in my whole life. Thanks to this, i actually haven't saw IESF, just heard it. In the middle of Speed of Light, i was still being pushed and i realized that i was on the THIRD BLOODY ROW to the barrier. I was pushed closer to the stage, not further. Well, the crowd eased on Children of the Damned and Bruce's small speech (Nicko was screaming about a problem on his drums, so Bruce talked to us for a few seconds). What a song is Children, and WHAT A SONG IS TEARS OF A CLOWN. Oh my, i was expecting a nice live version, but what i heard crushed Coming Home's executions. Not going down, The Red and the Black. This is a song to be played live, absolutely. Heavy, an amazing instrumental, a giant crowd participation (you could see Bruce and Steve smiling when everyone took over the vocals). That last instrumental part, with the crowd singing along...giant. The Trooper was very special to me, since this is my first and main favourite song from Maiden, it was a personal dream to sing it live. And to see Bruce with the red jacket, running closer to you, the Three Amigos on the middle, it was freaking magical. Death or Glory is executed differently live, or my ears fooled me, because i heard a different melody. Cool song, but definitely the low point of the night. Powerslave (or it was Powerslave before Death or Glory? I can't remember TBH), omg, i felt the flames in my face when Bruce rose up singing "Into the abyss i'll fall, the eye of Horus". This song live is powerful, i jumped around all the song, and so did the crowd. Scream for me, Belo Horizonte! And then, The Book of Souls. There Bruce showed us why he won the battle against cancer. What a performance, perfect, perfect song, flames everywhere, and then, Eddie. Participation with the crowd, inviting Dave for a fight, being beated by Janick, scratching his ass and being beated by Bruce. Theatrical Maiden at it's best. Hallowed was another personal dream being fulfilled, specially the end, perfect execution. Fear of the Dark, i don't know if you guys actually influenced me, or if i was deadly tired by then, but i didn't liked THAT much. It was an amazing song, but not The song of the night, like i thought it wold be. Iron Maiden, that one i enjoyed a lot. I don't like to hear it on live albuns, but it was so damn fun to hear it in person, with the giant Mayan Eddie. Then, encore, NOTB was a spetacle. Bruce was on fire, the stage was on fire, i thought that i would be on fire, with the force of the flames. Blood Brothers were emotional, as usual, considering that all of my friends (and some strangers) were singing the chorus hugged. Wasted Years was the last surprise, considering how i expected a cool song and got in answer a giantly powerful finisher. Perfect end to a nerfect song.

I'll post some pics and videos (in spoiler tag), but i think this one deserves to be posted here. To symbolize how special and unique this gig was:

View attachment 4646

Everyone lifted this guy on the wheelchair, so he could see the stage on the last song. Dave threw a pick on his lap and Bruce nearly stopped the song, applauding the crowd and saying "Wheel chair crowd surfing. You are f**king awesone". I can only imagine how emotional this man was on those last minutes. For me, i think i still don't believe that i saw Maiden live. The best night of my life.

P.S.: Bruce said at the end of the gig "We'll return, my friends". So, it'll be a 2nd leg or Bruce says this to everyone?

Attachments

• a3c0250e-30de-464e-8e43-40cf4b3656d0.jpg
    a3c0250e-30de-464e-8e43-40cf4b3656d0.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 115
OK, i need to organize this on topics.

* RavenAge is good. The vocalist is a nice frontman, the songs got the crowd going pretty well and, well, it was good songs, really. I'll listen to their debut on Spotify tomorrow, that's for sure. And it was cute to see Steve watching his son on the backstage, even recording the crowd reaction to a song (The Angel in Disgrace, or something like that. I can't remember correctly, thanks to Maiden). It was a nice surprise.

* Anthrax were great, but, i can't say why, it dissapointed me a little. The songs were great, Belladonna was on fire and they closed the set with Indians, my favourite song. Then again, i could be dissapointed because i wanted to see Maiden as quickly as possible. But it was a hell of a warm up.

* And, the main event...i expected a great show, an amazing, nearly flawless. Well, i got a completely flawless show. I'm completely broken physically, i can't feel my ankles until now (they finished the concert around 90 minutes ago, i just took a shower and ate some pizza leftovers), but i wanted to stay there for another whole hour. I can't see how any other concert will be better than this one. Anyway, i was around the 5th or 6th row, considering the barrier, when Doctor Doctor started. After this, everything went down on If Eternity Should Fail, i never jumped AND got lifted like that in my whole life. Thanks to this, i actually haven't saw IESF, just heard it. In the middle of Speed of Light, i was still being pushed and i realized that i was on the THIRD BLOODY ROW to the barrier. I was pushed closer to the stage, not further. Well, the crowd eased on Children of the Damned and Bruce's small speech (Nicko was screaming about a problem on his drums, so Bruce talked to us for a few seconds). What a song is Children, and WHAT A SONG IS TEARS OF A CLOWN. Oh my, i was expecting a nice live version, but what i heard crushed Coming Home's executions. Not going down, The Red and the Black. This is a song to be played live, absolutely. Heavy, an amazing instrumental, a giant crowd participation (you could see Bruce and Steve smiling when everyone took over the vocals). That last instrumental part, with the crowd singing along...giant. The Trooper was very special to me, since this is my first and main favourite song from Maiden, it was a personal dream to sing it live. And to see Bruce with the red jacket, running closer to you, the Three Amigos on the middle, it was freaking magical. Death or Glory is executed differently live, or my ears fooled me, because i heard a different melody. Cool song, but definitely the low point of the night. Powerslave (or it was Powerslave before Death or Glory? I can't remember TBH), omg, i felt the flames in my face when Bruce rose up singing "Into the abyss i'll fall, the eye of Horus". This song live is powerful, i jumped around all the song, and so did the crowd. Scream for me, Belo Horizonte! And then, The Book of Souls. There Bruce showed us why he won the battle against cancer. What a performance, perfect, perfect song, flames everywhere, and then, Eddie. Participation with the crowd, inviting Dave for a fight, being beated by Janick, scratching his ass and being beated by Bruce. Theatrical Maiden at it's best. Hallowed was another personal dream being fulfilled, specially the end, perfect execution. Fear of the Dark, i don't know if you guys actually influenced me, or if i was deadly tired by then, but i didn't liked THAT much. It was an amazing song, but not The song of the night, like i thought it wold be. Iron Maiden, that one i enjoyed a lot. I don't like to hear it on live albuns, but it was so damn fun to hear it in person, with the giant Mayan Eddie. Then, encore, NOTB was a spetacle. Bruce was on fire, the stage was on fire, i thought that i would be on fire, with the force of the flames. Blood Brothers were emotional, as usual, considering that all of my friends (and some strangers) were singing the chorus hugged. Wasted Years was the last surprise, considering how i expected a cool song and got in answer a giantly powerful finisher. Perfect end to a nerfect song.

I'll post some pics and videos (in spoiler tag), but i think this one deserves to be posted here. To symbolize how special and unique this gig was:

View attachment 4646

Everyone lifted this guy on the wheelchair, so he could see the stage on the last song. Dave threw a pick on his lap and Bruce nearly stopped the song, applauding the crowd and saying "Wheel chair crowd surfing. You are f**king awesone". I can only imagine how emotional this man was on those last minutes. For me, i think i still don't believe that i saw Maiden live. The best night of my life.

P.S.: Bruce said at the end of the gig "We'll return, my friends". So, it'll be a 2nd leg or Bruce says this to everyone?

Very cool, sounds like a great show. That part with the wheelchair is cool. Sounds like you had a great time

OK, as i said, here's my physical recordings of this amazing gig. In spoiler tag, so it'll not interrupt the flow of posts (and no, i didn't recorded the wheelchair end. My cellphone was almost out of battery, and i was so damn surprised :D)

956879f.jpg

9cbf2a1.jpg

1bbc40b.jpg

2082063.jpg

b39dccd.jpg

b4d94d7.jpg

d5556c3.jpg

d9a04b2.jpg

b58fc28.jpg
b88152f.jpg

b8cde0c.jpg

c417898.jpg

c6d36d2.jpg

c69e57c.jpg

Now that the adrenaline are lower, i can make some complementary comments:

* Adrian is a monster. Wow. I always liked Dave more, but after this concert, Adrian is my favourite guitarrist. His solo in Tears of a Clown and TRATB were from other world. Giant.

* TRATB works live. Works perfectly. The only reason to stop it to became a live stample is the lenght (although you just don't see the 13 min passing live. It felt like the song lasted only 5 or 6min).

* The band is flying. Bruce is singing perfectly, and running around the stage like usual. Maybe they'll be able to pull a 3 tour cycle, if the solo moment doesn't take too long.

Does anyone know why Dave plays rhythm guitar only on The Red And The Black live (except for his solo, of course)? After countless listens to the studio version I was convinced that he played lead under the "whoa-whoa-"chorus, as well as "The Red And The Black"-chorus and also that he played a duelling guitar against H/Janick towards the end (that up tempo part which shifts between this catchy, "aggressive" riff by H/Janick and then that smooth melody that sounds like something only Dave could do). I was so surprised to see that was Janick all the way, live. Anyone knows if it is in fact the same on record, or if this was something they did live only?
I can only say Kudos to Janick, though, he did nail that one.

Does anyone know why Dave plays rhythm guitar only on The Red And The Black live (except for his solo, of course)? After countless listens to the studio version I was convinced that he played lead under the "whoa-whoa-"chorus, as well as "The Red And The Black"-chorus and also that he played a duelling guitar against H/Janick towards the end (that up tempo part which shifts between this catchy, "aggressive" riff by H/Janick and then that smooth melody that sounds like something only Dave could do). I was so surprised to see that was Janick all the way, live. Anyone knows if it is in fact the same on record, or if this was something they did live only?
I can only say Kudos to Janick, though, he did nail that one.

These days Dave plays a lot of rythm parts, while Jan and H play harmonies and yes this is the way it's on the album (if we talk TFF and TBOS). Usually it's Dave-Rythm, H-Low parts and Jan-High parts. There are of course exceptions like The Talisman. Another interesting thing is that Dave and H have switched roles on melodies after Dave's solo on Blood Brothers. On RIR Dave was playing the melody and now he plays rythm and H vice versa.

Back