The Official Book of Souls Tour 2016 Thread (Warning: Spoilers within!)

If Children was swapped I would only accept Infinite Dreams in it's place, it would work just as well and this song is well over due in a set.

Actually, some other songs could work if they are looking forward to replace Children: Remember Tomorrow, Revelations, Ghost of the Navigator, Breeg, even Coming Home.

If they didn't played Infinite in the ME tour, they'll never play it again. I see this as a fact

About FOI, Steve doesn't like the song live. He's the boss, it's his band in the end. They forgot the song at both Early Days and SBiT tour.

If they play it again, it'll be in the Farewell Tour. I see it in the same scenario of Caught Somewhere in Time

If they didn't played Infinite in the ME tour, they'll never play it again. I see this as a fact
I agree with this to some degree, but I still wouldn't rule out Infinite Dreams ever being played. They did some weird things on those History tours, like not playing Children of the Damned or The Prisoner on The Early Days tour, but bringing them out on subsequent history tours.

What makes me lose hope about them ever playing it isn't so much that it wasn't played on Maiden England, but more that they said they rehearsed it and it didn't work.

FOI is apparently a point of friction between H and the rest of the band, they probably just want to avoid a fight over it.

Well, of course Bruce is singing great nowadays... but I think hitting the high notes in FOI would pose a great challenge to him (to anyone, really). Just to mention a few difficult passages in the song: "IN THE NAME OF GOD MY FATHER I FLY!", "FLY AS HIGH AS THE SUUUUN!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH"

Tough.
This is from the second half of 1999, sure that is 17 years ago but still with Bruce with his "current" voice (from Accident of Birth onward). He seems to pull it off nicely. ;) (by the way, this is with the whole Angra band, not just with André Matos).

This is from the second half of 1999, sure that is 17 years ago but still with Bruce with his "current" voice (from Accident of Birth onward). He seems to pull it off nicely. ;) (by the way, this is with the whole Angra band, not just with André Matos).
Nice!! I'd never seen this performance before. Is it in the same key as the original version? It sounds to me like it was moved down a half step, but I don't have a good ear, really.

I'm pretty sure if Adrian wasn't such a perfectionist like that they would've played IOA and/or Starblind on the TFF tour. At least one of the two. They usually get to most of the epics, on TFF they only did two. On TBOS they only missed one (two if you want to count Shadows of the Valley), which are songs Adrian had nothing to do with writing.

Because Steve wants to play it faster, and H thinks it has to be played at the exact speed it was recorded at.
Yep. I seem to remember an interview where they specifically mentioned the song, but my mind may be making things up.

Also remember, Bruce Dickinson was playing the song with H live right before the reunion tour. Check out the tempo, no way Steve and Nicko would keep it this slow:

And Bruce is nailing it btw, no question that he can still do it.

I have to agree with Adrian on this ... I expect songs to speed up a bit live and that is cool, but Maiden went way overboard with that at points.I think he said something like "it sucked the soul out of the songs" and he was right.

I have to agree with Adrian on this ... I expect songs to speed up a bit live and that is cool, but Maiden went way overboard with that at points.I think he said something like "it sucked the soul out of the songs" and he was right.
I think there's a happy middle ground the band hasn't really explored. Stuff like A Real Live Dead One is pushing the tempo to ridiculous extremes, but that recording of Flight of Icarus seems a bit draggy. They've managed to work out a reasonable tempo for Wasted Years though.

I think there's a happy middle ground the band hasn't really explored. Stuff like A Real Live Dead One is pushing the tempo to ridiculous extremes, but that recording of Flight of Icarus seems a bit draggy. They've managed to work out a reasonable tempo for Wasted Years though.

For sure there is a middle ground, I think it is just a case of two people entrenched in their positions on that song and rather than argue about it, just said "we have plenty of songs to play, let's just let this one drop"

Exactly, which is fair. I'm not in a hurry to hear Flight of Icarus live.

I find it more disappointing when it affects songs like Isle of Avalon or Paschendale being played.

They don't use any click track or anything like that, do they? I've read something about them having problems with some of the songs live, do you think that might be the reason? That is, 'Arry wanting to play it faster and getting impatient and H holding back?

I don't see how some of the songs couldn't be performed faster live, however I also don't see how some of them couldn't be performed slower.
I sometimes get the feeling 'Arry's being this Energizer bunny on cocaine and Nicko gleefully tags along... however FOI is one of the songs I would definitely apprectiate being played faster live. The original plods along way too brontosaurically for the live setting, IMHO

Back