The Official Book of Souls Tour 2016 Thread (Warning: Spoilers within!)

The only critique I will have on the setlist is that it's light on post reunion material, but hey, we've got Children of the Dammned, Powerslave and Blood Brothers, so I'm not complaining!
It is funny how some people will consider "Blood Brothers" a 'classic' -along with the other two tracks mentioned - and how others will consider that it is (still) a 'new' track.

For my part, I'd rather see it replaced by what to me is a real classic (like "Heaven Can Wait" or "Killers" for example). Hopefully, I don't except everybody to agree on this. ;)

Still, I admit it is good that they use a post-reunion song in the encores (only time apart from "Journeyman"in 2003/04 I think?). I just wish they would choose something else.

Last edited by a moderator:
For my part, I'd rather see it replaced by what to me is a real classic (like "Heaven Can Wait" or "Killers" for example). Hopefully, I don't except everybody to agree on this. ;)

Still, I admit it is good that they use a post-reunion song in the encores (only time apart from "Journeyman"in 2003/04 I think?). I just wish they would choose something else.

We all have our own favorites but Blood Brothers was a genuine surprise to me and while I'm not the biggest fan of the song I do appreciate that it's a good sing-along tune to bring into the encore. Filling the spot of say old ragged overdone Running Free or Run To The Hills...Blood Brothers has just as much crowd participation as those two and leads up to Wasted Years quite well...

BB has become well established as a live song, I suppose. That's kinda what I meant about them being unlikely to play songs like Montsegur live now. Blood Brothers has been played on three? tours I think before this one, although it might not be what you might consider as one of their best or most iconic songs. You could pop BB in a setlist and people won't think it's all that out of place because they've done it a few times before.

Going back to what matic22 said earlier, re Bruce hinting that BB was a song they chose to play last night but they had rehearsed others: might we see Brave New World or Wicker Man in its place at the shows to come? Those are the other two on the China approved list

BB has become well established as a live song, I suppose. That's kinda what I meant about them being unlikely to play songs like Montsegur live now. Blood Brothers has been played on three? tours I think before this one, although it might not be what you might consider as one of their best or most iconic songs. You could pop BB in a setlist and people won't think it's all that out of place because they've done it a few times before.

Going back to what matic22 said earlier, re Bruce hinting that BB was a song they chose to play last night but they had rehearsed others: might we see Brave New World or Wicker Man in its place at the shows to come? Those are the other two on the China approved list

We already have the post-00 songs that are already estabilished: Wicker Man, Blood Brothers and Dance of Death. Brave New World, Paschendale, Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg, These Colours Don't Run and maybe El Dorado/Coming Home as outsiders. Beside those songs, i can't see others being played right now.

Bruce had some issues with Wicker Man in 2011, no? If he had, i think it's pretty unlikely that they would play it in the encore. I can't see Hallowed being moved down either. Maybe Death or Glory? I would love to see Wicker Man live. But maybe Bruce said that meaning "We had to choose among a few songs for the tour but, in the end, we prefered to play Blood Brothers". We all know how they rehearse around 20 songs to play 15/17. Maybe Brave New World and Wicker Man were reharsed, but cutted in the final making of the set.

We had to choose among a few songs for the tour but, in the end, we prefered to play Blood Brothers"

That's the other possible interpretation, of course. "Tonight we're going to play...." But you've been playing that for the past ten shows anyway. I'll have to try to track down some footage or ask others who were there what was actually said.

We already have the post-00 songs that are already estabilished: Wicker Man, Blood Brothers and Dance of Death. Brave New World, Paschendale, Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg, These Colours Don't Run and maybe El Dorado/Coming Home as outsiders. Beside those songs, i can't see others being played right now.

Bruce had some issues with Wicker Man in 2011, no? If he had, i think it's pretty unlikely that they would play it in the encore. I can't see Hallowed being moved down either. Maybe Death or Glory? I would love to see Wicker Man live. But maybe Bruce said that meaning "We had to choose among a few songs for the tour but, in the end, we prefered to play Blood Brothers". We all know how they rehearse around 20 songs to play 15/17. Maybe Brave New World and Wicker Man were reharsed, but cutted in the final making of the set.

One of Brave New World and Wicker Man will be replacing Powerslave in China. I think the other was supposed to be in the set all the time, but was cut due to set lenght. The one that is a spare song could be switching places with BB, so they don't forget it.

There is a video during Doctor Doctor where Nicko goes around backstage and gives big hugs to all members of the band. I guess it was very emotional for him to return on stage with Maiden.

Wonder what those 3-4 songs are that they could choose from in the encore?!

Blood Brothers, Wicker Man , ???, ???

Would be fun if they'd rotate 4 songs.. but I guess people would be pissed a la " why did we get BB and the others get HCW"

Wonder what those 3-4 songs are that they could choose from in the encore?!

Blood Brothers, Wicker Man , ???, ???

Would be fun if they'd rotate 4 songs.. but I guess people would be pissed a la " why did we get BB and the others get HCW"

Probably they are BB, Wicker Man, Brave New World... (Although I think that BNW is gone from the set and the rotating two will be the first two).

I'd be happy to get Wicker Man, it's one I'd like to see live. Fingers crossed, because I should be at two consecutive shows.

We won't know for sure until we find out what happens in Tulsa. I'll be in the air during the show, so hopefully people here will behave and not post live links.

I guess the 4/5 first dates can be considered as (still highly professional) warm-up shows - the fact that American audiences seem less buoyant than, say, South American ones and than those from some European countries too, contributes to make these dates good tests for the setlist.

Bruce's voice is also a factor: on the TFF album tour, "The Talisman" - a vocally very demanding song- was displaced to another spot in the setlist after the first 4 or 5 dates. I wonder if this may happen with this current setlist, although I wouldn't be surprised if it changed in the first 20 days of the tour.

From what it sounds, Book of Souls may move up if that's the case. That song has to be a nightmare to sing.

One of Brave New World and Wicker Man will be replacing Powerslave in China. I think the other was supposed to be in the set all the time, but was cut due to set lenght. The one that is a spare song could be switching places with BB, so they don't forget it.

They'll probably replace it with BNW (same length). So, we'll have Wicker Man as out main replacement

I was buzzing all day in work today awaiting the setlist and reviews, being a Madien fan is great! Better than Christmas!
Happy with the stage show and set, in particular the 6 new tunes and the change up of the encore and the possibility of song rotation, well played Maiden. Tears seems like it should be later in the set to me. Love Wasted Years being last and a song like Blood Brothers featuring in the encore. And Im FUCKING DELIGHTED that Powerslave is in the set, I missed Somewhere on Tour and thought Id never get to see it live.

Just saw a vid of Book of Souls, Bruce tries to reach for a gravelly high note and he has to stop and have a little cough. Hope its just a blip and not an underlying issue with his throat...

I guess the 4/5 first dates can be considered as (still highly professional) warm-up shows - the fact that American audiences seem less buoyant than, say, South American ones and than those from some European countries too, contributes to make these dates good tests for the setlist.

Bruce's voice is also a factor: on the TFF album tour, "The Talisman" - a vocally very demanding song- was displaced to another spot in the setlist after the first 4 or 5 dates. I wonder if this may happen with this current setlist, although I wouldn't be surprised if it changed in the first 20 days of the tour.

considering much of the crowd last night flew in from Europe and South America, it was quite wild compared to other shows I've been to in the states. It was up there with En Vivo in terms of energy. Fans knew the words to the new songs and sang along to words and riffs quite well. It was a pro shot concert too. I noticed recording and tape op boxes by the studio cameras indicating someone was recording it, not just streaming it or running live for the screens

Back