The Mercenary

How good is The Mercenary on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: The Mercenary

Equal weakest off the album for me, but it's not that it's a horrible song. Chorus is pretty decent, but there's no real standout section in the song. 6/10.

7. Weakest on the album, which is said to have lyrics penned by Jan (really doesn't read like Steve); this is the first of the Virtual XI leftovers and even on that album it would've been the weakest or second weakest alongside Futureal. Although it's a Jan's song, contains blistering solos from Dave and H and the melody after the solos is great.

6. See Perun's post. And add in repetition + too few ingredients for this length. Great solos.

The one kicks in the door like its going to rape and pillage across my headset but runs out of gas before it gets to the end. I’ll blame the overuse of the “Show them no fear” bit. Another great instrumental break (is that becoming redundant?) pulls it up a touch, but not enough to move above a seven — a lower one at that.

My least favorite from the album, still a decent rocker with powerful riffs and solos.

After a magic three-in-a-row, this one is a bit of a letdown - although the type of song fits well after three semi-epics. Unlike on the previous two songs, who both have quite unoriginal choruses, I do have a problem with the repetitiveness of this song. The line !show 'em no fear, show 'em no pain" just seems to go on forever. The song has its moments, but it doesn't really live up to the high standard set by the opening four.

A strong 7/10.

7/10. Not the best track on the album - I think most of concur on this one - but a good song nonetheless.

I find the song less repetitive than the two closing songs. Yes the lines are repeated quite a few times, but when we look at the length of these parts, it isn't that terrible.

What we should not forget is the fantastic instrumental midpiece. Beautiful Dave solo, and the harmony is also a great treat. The main riff (coming from a Janick Gers idea from 1981) is pretty cool.
I think that a song with this kind of tempo and such heaviness is pretty rare for Maiden.

I confess that I doubt about this grade (it could be a 7 as well) but now I'll do a low 8.

6/10 I find this song pretty weak overall.  Pretty stock sounding Maiden riffs and an overly repetitive chorus/prechorus.  It's always reminded me of The Assassin for some reason.  It's saved by the decent harmonies and solos. 

I'm still a bit bummed they played this live throughout the BNW tour instead of the superior Fallen Angel. 

Reactions: jcv

Superior? Hmm, nah. Fallen Angel is a more simple sounding song with less good melodies, less good solos, less good vocal melodies, less good singing, a less good pre-chorus, and a less original sounding chorus with a guitar melody a la Wasted Years / Clansman. Hmm I should keep this for that thread, sorry.

Weakest track on the album, and somewhere lower than average in the Maiden scale. The repetition of the "Show them.." line is slightly grating. 4/10

Reactions: jcv
Show them no fear
Show them no pain

Damn that part is so perfect with its vocal and guitar melodies. Fine song. 8/10.

8 out of 10... A pretty good rocker, but without much weight behind it. A weaker cut off the album, but Bruce's vocal saves the day.

The weakest on the album, but I always find myself singing along to it. Love the Predator references :)

Really heavy song, interesting vocal lines, but overrepetitive. It's still good enough for 8/10.

Back