The Mercenary

How good is The Mercenary on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters

Diesel 11

As you scream into the web of silence...
One of the better songs on the album. I'm actually really impressed with this song. It'd be a 9 if it weren't for the repetition of "show them no fear" etc, which is honestly worse than that in TAATG and DLTTEOAS. Still, it doesn't detract all that much overall, so it's a strong 8/10.

Number 6

Ancient Mariner
Nothing really special here. It's a very good song, for sure, but it's far from being a masterpiece, or even merely great. The chorus is awesome, though, one of the most memorable from the album. 7.

Edington

Let's Get Volatile
I like this a lot, a lot of fun and makes for a nice breather between the epics. Maybe a little too repetitive with the final "Show them no fear..." part, but it does keep things interesting with some nice guitar fills. A couple of blistering solos from Dave and H, not sure the harmony section after really works, but it's brief enough not to be too invasive. I love the Predator connections, didn't think I'd ever see Maiden reference that film!

I give this a 7, on par with The Wicker Man and above only The Fallen Angel.

Jer

My sins are many
A decent uptempo riff kicks off a decent verse. A pretty catchy pre-chorus leads into a repetitive, less appealing chorus.

Another round of verse through chorus, and then we get a couple of good solos, a brief and kind of pointless interlude, a tease of a drum+vocal section that mercifully goes full-band before turning into an 80s cliche, and some more chorus before an abrupt ending.

Nothing special here, but it gets the job done. 6/10.

KidInTheDark666

What's yours is mine and what's mine is mine too
A little bit too much chorus repeating, but still good. The RIR live version is better. 8

Diesel 11

As you scream into the web of silence...
This is a song that took a long time to warm up to, given the really, really repetitive chorus, but somehow I've gotten it now. This song is fucking awesome. A kick-ass rocker about the morality of a bounty hunter and the pre-chorus is one of the best bits of the album. The chorus itself is great too, despite the repetition that once fazed me, and the instrumental section - while not as good as "Weekend Warrior", eh, Cried? - is great as well. This song rules. 10

Kalata

Out of the Silent Planet
I quite like this song. Great start to it. Great riff, drumming (like in the whole album), awesome verses and chorus. Both solos are good and the triple-lead guitar harmony after them is superb. The Rock In Rio performance of that song is great. Short rocker in a Maiden style. 9/10.