The Legacy

How good is The Legacy on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
My only issue with this song is that the piece recycled for Empire of the Clouds fits the latter song more.

No, no, no, no, no.

That's your issue with first hearing Empire of the Clouds and that being your favorite songs and THEN hearing The Legacy after that.
To paint the picture on riff fitting the songs, I'll compare feelings when that riff comes in the song:

In The Legacy, it's like you're high on top of the the roller-coaster on midnight of New Year's Eve.
In Empire of the Clouds, it's like your hangover swaying in a very small boat on a foggy Monday morning.

No, no, no, no, no.

That's your issue with first hearing Empire of the Clouds and that being your favorite songs and THEN hearing The Legacy after that.
To paint the picture on riff fitting the songs, I'll compare feelings when that riff comes in the song:

In The Legacy, it's like you're high on top of the the roller-coaster on midnight of New Year's Eve.
In Empire of the Clouds, it's like your hangover swaying in a very small boat on a foggy Monday morning.
You’re responding to an older post of mine. I think it fits both songs extraordinarily well.

Unique song. The acoustic parts are great and the intro is dramatic, but it's dragged for way too long - that's the only complain that I have about this epic song. Great riffs, great verses, good chorus and great solo from Janick. The triple-lead harmonies are as always wonderful. The verses after the solo are one of the best in Maiden's discography. I think Janick wanted the song to be more acoustic with no choruses, but with more themes through it. I'll be happy to see it live again (missed opportunity with the Legacy of the Beast tour...). 8/10.

this one doesn't drag for me - I nearly rated "Brighter Than A Thousand Suns" as the best track on AMOLAD, but on second listen, I find a bit more directness, smoothness, and slightly less repetition on Legacy than Brighter.

Hi, I've reopened this song for voting, after resetting the votes.

Please add your vote for this song and consider the following tips:

• Try to be consistent across the Iron Maiden catalogue. Don't vote based on the place on the album, but the place in the overall catalogue.
  • 1 should be the worst Iron Maiden songs, 10 should be the best. You can have lots of 10s and 1s as you see fit.
  • Don't vote based on other people's votes. IE, if you think a song is overrated, don't give it a 1 or 2 just because you think it's getting "too high" of votes.

A very obvious 10 and my personal favorite closer since Rime. The atmosphere, singing and general execution is out of this world I love that last note as Nicko pointed out in an old interview.

I've softened on The Legacy. I used to really dislike the song. It's not the mess I used to think, but I still think it has issues. It takes a little too long to get going for my tastes, without quite having the payoff some other songs have when it does. That said, everything after around 5:30 is great.

I really love this track and its build up, while the ending section is quite standard and I'm consciously not accounting in the copy paste of these ideas over subsequent albums, there's nothing wrong with the arrangement and the song does flow all the way through, unlike typical AMOLAD song where we're abruptly returned to where we've been.

8/10

This gives me strong Genesis vibes. The first two minutes feel like a deliberate sendup of The Musical Box, naturally serving as an affectionate tribute in that regard. When the song gets going, it's not quite as strong from the getgo, but when the song hits that second half, the song really cooks and makes for an hella effective closer to the album.

The acoustic intro is very Genesis, although the lyrics are much less whimsical than what Gabriel would’ve written. One of the rare moments in Maiden’s history where I’m truly taken off guard with a creative choice. It’s a cool way to start the song and very different for Maiden. The way this thing builds is intense. You can feel the drama from start to finish, and several sections give me chills. This song feels progressive and epic in a way that isn’t typical for Maiden. Very winding, very dramatic, lots of different grooves. One of their most unique pieces.

Lyrically this song is really to the point and blunt. I love it. 10

The true epic of the album, pretty symphonic with the intro (which is one of Maiden's finest imo). There are a lot of great melodies here and it flows smoothly. Also, Empire of the Clouds riff :) 9.

A very solid song, i really love it but the intro could be a little smaller for me, the only complain for me. After it explodes, the riffs are insanely good.
The layered vocals on the chorus are really strong and the instrumental break plus the solos were the point that stood out the most for me on my first listen of this album many years ago.
9/10

First time listening to it in years, probably since i saw the tour, having somehow developed a blind spot for this record which it doesn't deserve. Anyway it was so good i stopped trying to achieve my deadlines and sacrificed almost 10 gorgeous minutes to this epic whilst i stared lovingly into my minds eye. Inspired me to give 'A Matter of Life and Death' the reappraisal and deep dive it so dearly deserves.

10/10

Honestly, in terms of sheer instrumental prowess, this has to be one of my favourites. The subdued opening leading to one of the most cinematic of pieces in their history. Then we get a really ballsy riff that solidifies the darkness being spoken of. Then the reprieves of the bridges, and the beautiful (for want of a better word) chorus. It’s already been a great ride.

But then this album does something I don’t think they’ve ever done as satisfyingly as they do here. They don’t just close the album on a high note with the second half, they practically make a closing summary of the entire album. An album of religion and war, and the final lyrics are about what’s left from it all, and reminding us that man is teetering right on the brink.
However, the soloing and harmonies here are one of the greatest moments that really define and justify the 3 guitar era.

This track, in isolation, is amazing. It’s also a track that solidifies to me why I love this album so much. It’s a total 10!

Back