The J.R.R. Tolkien Topic (publications and adaptations)

Yeah, I liked Dain. Billy Connolly did a good job. It was fun. I don't think I loved it.

A. Thorin is being unreasonable
B. Gandalf:
"That is Dain Ironfoot, Thorin's cousin. I've always felt Thorin was the more reasonable of the two..."
C. Dain shows his "reason".
:notworthy::bigsmile:

Was no one else bugged by Billy Connolly looking like a Robert Zemekis cartoon? I understand that half the movie is CGI, but why do motion capture on a dwarf...?

He's 3 years younger than Ian McKellan and twenty years younger than Christopher Lee, who's still kicking wizard ass and releasing metal songs. I just think Connolly would have looked more intimidating in his own skin.

Right, but he's supposed to be Thorin's cousin, who is shown as a dwarf who just got his first grey hair. So showing him as...4000 years old (compared to 4003 for Serena and 6000 for Sir Christopher (or is that Saxon men that he did behead, I can never keep it straight)) may not have fit the theme of what Dain is supposed to be.

Saw it ... I'm just glad it's over now.

I found myself not caring about anyone except Bilbo, and Tauriel after she stood up to Thranduil. I thought about it when Thorin's dwarves finally charged out to join the battle. That should have been a big lump in the throat moment like the Ride of Rohan in RotK. And there I was watching with no more emotion than if it were a football highlight.

The movie was a disappointment - not because it was horrible, but because it was so mediocre and failed to wrap up the trilogy. As much as we all make fun of the RotK endings (all of them!), they at least left you feeling that you'd really finished something. Here: Thorin's dead, bye Balin, gimme back my spoons Lobelia.

Back