The J.R.R. Tolkien Topic (publications and adaptations)

Exactly, Brigantium (& BW)

Going beyond criticism of this film(s) in general, at a fundamental level I just don't see any evidence (from any of the five films so far released; & inc. all the extra material & interviews) that Jackson &/or Boyens &/or Walsh really "get" Tolkien. They speak about "the fans", but they're not talking about Tolkien fans; they're talking about the LotRs film fans. For some this is unimportant (--& the division also not so clean cut.) But for me this is very important. I want (& wanted) to feel some Tolkien when I watch these movies. And I feel very little. Tolkien's personal & literary outlook was deeply philosophical; it was coloured by his Catholicism, his academic learning, his personal interests --& all of this informs all of his writing. To ignore this, is to ignore Tolkien. And I find that deeply disrespectful. Nobody forced Jackson & Co. to adapt Tolkien; they chose to. Taking a look at what they've produced (at great effort) I'd prefer if they hadn't bothered. As I've said before, I view adaptation as derivative from a purely artistic point of view. At its worst it comes across as artistically lazy i.e. the foundation (& much else) is all already there. If you've got to do it, it's got to be good. This wasn't.

I know most here are going to say "it's just a movie, get a grip" --but this is how I feel about the matter. Tolkien's writing means quite a lot to me & don't feel these films have served any purpose beyond light entertainment. And, I question the sanity of a society which thinks spending this much time & money, & producing something this mediocre, is a worthy enterprise; and, furthermore, that I should applaud it.

This is the crux of it for me.

Tolkien's LotR is a deep and important work. It creates a breathtaking new world and conveys powerful themes of man versus machine; the corruption of power; loyalty and sacrifice. Jackson's LotR reflects all of the same things. I'm no Tolkein scholar, but those movies spoke to me in the same way.

The Hobbit is a fun children's story; Jackson's Hobbit reflects that.

You have three choices in adaptation:
1) You tell the story as faithfully to the book as possible
2) You follow the general themes and plots and use them tell the same story in a visual way.
3) You take elements of the characters and plot and tell your own story.

Jackson chose route two, and you would say unsuccessfully.
I say he's been very successful, but I think I went in preferring route two, whereas route one would always be your option of choice (if an adaptation had to be done at all.)

What BW says, really. I liked the film. It's great fun to watch in my opinion, but I can see where the criticism arises. Even if you approach it as something different to the book, it's a film about a little guy called a hobbit. His role is slightly diminished by the other sub-plots and the major action going on, when it would be nice if he stood out more as the hero.
It's just a film about a Hobbit?

I never saw it as such. It's all about the amazing adventures that he goes through but not only. It's about the stunning looks (still waiting for your answer Cried) that we expect from Jackson. We know Jackson over a decade. He's associated with Tolkien on cinema, if we like it or not: we can't say -after more than 10 years- that a Jackson film isn't connected to stunning looks.

It's about the suspense (that I missed).

It's about giving characters character. E.g. take Bard. I thought his role was very good and useful. The drama with his ancestor, that black arrow story, I think that it enriched the historical aspect. It adds to the perspective.

Speaking of history, this film is about the legacy of the Dwarves! This is about something before Bilbo's time.
If you keep in mind that Jackson used inspiration from Tolkien outside the Hobbit, then you know it's more than just a film about a Hobbit.

Of course it's not just a film about a Hobbit, but none of the LOTR films are really about Sauron either. If they were then he'd be the main character.

I never saw it as such. It's all about the amazing adventures that he goes through but not only. It's about the stunning looks (still waiting for your answer Cried) that we expect from Jackson. We know Jackson over a decade. He's associated with Tolkien on cinema, if we like it or not: we can't say -after more than 10 years- that a Jackson film isn't connected to stunning looks.

It's about giving characters character. E.g. take Bard. I thought his role was very good and useful. The drama with his ancestor, that black arrow story, I think that it enriched the historical aspect. It adds to the perspective.

Speaking of history, this film is about the legacy of the Dwarves! This is about something before Bilbo's time.
If you keep in mind that Jackson used inspiration from Tolkien outside the Hobbit, then you know it's more than just a film about a Hobbit.

True. Jackson is taking what Tolkein himself did a step further — pushing this delightful little story into the more profound world of LotR.
One could argue (as Cried is) that by taking a step further than the Hobbit, but not all the way over to the tone of the previous films, Jackson made a mistake.
I disagree but fair comment.

But more important: you did say that their character expansion was not worthwhile (your 2nd post from this page) and now you suddenly say that you enjoyed them (that's new info to me). You've gotta make a choice dude. The characters were expanded in order to enjoy them.
And were those expansions & additions worthwhile or not? My answer is: they were not. I mean, the crux of this is: Jackson has taken something amazing & made it a bit poorer.
Apologies. I was (despite responding to your post about characters) not primarily referring to existing character expansion; which is, within reason, unavoidable if you are to portray any book charater on-screen. I was really talking about excessive & unnecessary (in my eyes) expansions & plain additions in general.

You also quoted me out of context earlier, in regard to Gandalf.
I quoted you earlier. The look of the film. :)
He is indeed not in the book much. However, if you are choosing to compare a Tolkien character (whether in the book a great deal or not) versus some charater you've just invented, then clearly I'd like to see more, in this case, of Tolkien's Gandalf. That should be fairly obvious.
We're judging this film. A film that consists out of scenes. We should not forget that we can judge characters (or actors if you like) in these scenes.
I'm not just judging this film; although I've made it clear that as a film I thought this was mediocre at best. I'm judging this as an adaptation of the book written by J. R. R. Tolkien. It is an adaptation, is it not?

--------------------
This is the crux of it for me.

Tolkien's LotR is a deep and important work. It creates a breathtaking new world and conveys powerful themes of man versus machine; the corruption of power; loyalty and sacrifice. Jackson's LotR reflects all of the same things. I'm no Tolkein scholar, but those movies spoke to me in the same way.
They were just okay.
I say he's been very successful, but I think I went in preferring route two, whereas route one would always be your option of choice (if an adaptation had to be done at all.)
Correct.

--------------------

Agreed, it's not just a story about Bilbo. (What answer are you waiting for?)
There was none. Is that what you mean?
I would have taken an evocative, mood-filled, magical Mirkwood scene over the expansion of the Bard character. This isn't (as) important to me.
Speaking of history, this film is about the legacy of the Dwarves!
The book, not so much though.
This is about something before Bilbo's time. If you keep in mind that Jackson used inspiration from Tolkien outside the Hobbit, then you know it's more than just a film about a Hobbit.
Indeed. But what was he filming here? An adaptation of The Hobbit? Or his messed-up take on Tolkien's entire Middle-earth creation (with what he was allowed to use)? It's too big for film. And, frankly, too big for Jackson.

I think we discussed before that he used elements from Unfinished Tales and LOTR appendices. You said he couldn't but he did.
I would have taken an evocative, mood-filled, magical Mirkwood scene over the expansion of the Bard character.
Playing the screenwriter? ;-)
But I agree, I prefered Mirkwood as well, but my point was that I still appreciated some of the expanded/made-up stories, even if they were non-Bilbo.

The look of the film: Literally all studio work, with hardly any outside film work. There were a few scenes, but not many. Think of the LotRs films: these looked visually far, far superior to this. Where was all the visual detail of previous films?
Where did you miss detail? I thought everything was detailed. I don't think I remember a Jackson film looking more visually superior than shots from Laketown, Dale or Erebor itself, both inside and outside.

Now about outside film work. I am not saying you are wrong but I am curious to know:
Where and/or how did you miss it?

Option A.
Did you miss outside film work, because you missed certain story elements that happened outside?
Here I agree: E.g. I missed a great deal of outside moments in between Beorn and Mirkwood. And of course Mirkwood itself.

Option B.
Or were there scenes that were made to look as an outside scene but looked too much as recorded inside?
Here I disagree: I thought it all looked very realistic. I mean; it is fantasy; but it looked real. So: outside, looked outside.

Option C. Something else. :)

I think we discussed before that he used elements from Unfinished Tales and LOTR appendices. You said he couldn't but he did.
I didn't mean he physically couldn't, I just meant if he did (do you have firm examples?) it would be in breach of copyright (--in respect to UT.)
But I agree, I prefered Mirkwood as well, but my point was that I still appreciated some of the expanded/made-up stories, even if they were non-Bilbo.
Indeed, me to; but I don't want to see these at the expense of, what I consider, important scenes/elements e.g. Mirkwood.
Where did you miss detail? I thought everything was detailed. I don't think I remember a Jackson film looking more visually superior than shots from Laketown, Dale or Erebor itself, both inside and outside.
In LotRs there were set designs (like Rivendell) by Lee & Howe, & a lot of thought & (physical) effort went into Meduseld (etc); stuff that didn't even make the screen. All to create the look of various aspects of Middle-earth. These were real sets. This film had very little of this. Dale & Erebor were all digital; Laketown looked like something out of Labyrinth or Time Bandits. And where was this?
6a00d8341dd88553ef01675f5449c3970b-320wi

I didn't think this film looked superior at all.
Now about outside film work. I am not saying you are wrong but I am curious to know:
Where and/or how did you miss it?
I didn't miss it. I paid pretty close attention to this aspect of the film.
Option A.
Did you miss outside film work, because you missed certain story elements that happened outside?
Here I agree: E.g. I missed a great deal of outside moments in between Beorn and Mirkwood. And of course Mirkwood itself.
Option B.
Or were there scenes that were made to look as an outside scene but looked too much as recorded inside?
Here I disagree: I thought it all looked very realistic. I mean; it is fantasy; but it looked real. So: outside, looked outside.
Option C. Something else. :)
Mirkwood was all studio work. And it looked shit. I only recall one or two scenes that had no digital elements. For me, they stand out a mile & look poor. Seriously Foro, in ten years time you're going to be watching this on your TV & you're going to remember this conversation (*chuckle*) --& this film is going to look about as good as stuff from the 80's.

Did I mention I only saw it in 2D?...

Sigh. I liked There and Back Again as the title. Maybe I will send something to Jackson.

I watched The Desolation of Smaug a few days ago. While I thought the CGI looked even more fake and obvious than ever in some places (barrel scene), I loved the film as a whole. I don't like the book, and I think it fits very, very poorly into Tolkien's Middle-Earth. The films fit with Jackson's Middle-Earth. It is as simple as that.

There's an anecdote in An Unexpected Journey where Gandalf tells Bilbo about how the game golf was invented. Through this we are told that what we see on screen is not necessarily how it really happened, but what matters is that is a good story. To me, this meta-perspective on storytelling shows that Jackson is on another level completely. This is no ordinary action-adaptation of loved work. It is done with great care. And I must say, even though I was very irritated by some of the changes in the Lord of the Rings-films, today I see neither the books nor the films as the best version. Some things are just much better in one version. Bernard Hill's Théoden is a way better character on screen. Aragorn arriving at the battle of Pelennor is cringe-worthy in the film, but one of my favourite moments in the book.

As for the look of the film, I will put my money on that this will age very, very badly. The CGI looks even worse than in the over 10 year old The Return of the King, which I now cringe at in specific parts.

What I think are the best parts in the two released Hobbit-films are the characters, especially Thorin as played by Richard Armitage. I might even prefer him to Viggo's Aragorn (whose part he is playing in this trilogy really). Thorin in any case, is a better written character. I certainly prefer the film version over the book. I was also quite captivated by Thraunduil, played by Lee Pace. I sense that he has a much more thought out backstory than in the book, and I very much look forward to the last part because of this. The scene where he shows a badly damaged face was one of the most interesting scenes in the film.

I have already said that I loved the film, and my criticism is only peripheral.

The one place I wonder if the CG will look dated is the first scenes with Smaug. Once Smaug gets too animate it's obviously CG, but the beginning scenes, the riddles in the dark, I thought looked flawless.

The scenes with Smaug were well animated. And the design was excellent.

To be honest, I thought The Hobbit was going to make some really mediocre films, but after having seen this I am instead praising the films. Funny how it is.

Back