The Israel-Palestine conflict

No matter if one agrees with the protesters or not, this is a great moment that people show at last some resistance to political ugliness. Those are not desperate people, those are children with a future who risk their future to protest. Some tomorrow's leaders will be forged there and maybe the world will become eventually a better place even a little bit. I have a big respect for them.

You can say that because you haven't directly seen or heard these protesters. I walked past some of them today. My impression was the same as in the last half year: The leaders of these groups are highly radicalised people who see anyone who does not 100% agree with them as the devil. They are not in it for compassion, they are in it for the lust of hate. They do not differentiate, for one, between Israel and Jews, and this is why life has become extremely unsafe for Jewish people in countries like Germany - Jewish people have been attacked on the streets and there are constant threats.

The fact that these groups are so much smaller than their leaders claim demonstrates that only very few people fall for them long-term. It is terrible that these leaders are taking over what would otherwise be legitimate protests.

They do not differentiate, for one, between Israel and Jews

That's not fair. Many Jews, even Israeli ones have been supportive for Palestinian cause. I had a similar feeling of admiration for them.
My admiration for the protesters or Israeli protesters isn't so much about the cause itself, but because they are risking their future for something purely based on principals -they have nothing tangible to gain. And for the US ones, quite the opposite.

This is so important. After the fall of Soviet Union, Western youth started to become more and more materialistic and self centered. And too much aligned with an ugly Status Quo.
These protests give me hope again, not just for the Palestine, but for the West itself, 15 -20 years from now in another level.

You can say that because you haven't directly seen or heard these protesters.

And that's relevant how? Freedom of Speech is a tenant of Western Style democracies, whether you agree with it or not, whether it is logistically inconvenient or not.

And that's relevant how? Freedom of Speech is a tenant of Western Style democracies, whether you agree with it or not, whether it is logistically inconvenient or not.

It's relevant in that it's a response to 5's expression of hope. I do not have any hope when I see these protest leaders - they are not champions of free speech, they are the exact opposite. It's been a recurring theme for the last six months or so - in Germany, mind you - that some of these so-called "pro-Palestinian" protesters* will pop up at public lectures, performances and other protests and scream and shout until the the event has to be prematurely ended. The connection of these events to the Israel/Palestine conflict is usually that there's either an Israeli talking or that there is something related to Jewish people, such as a reading of Hannah Arendt's works.

*I need to emphasise: I'm talking about the protest leaders, not your average student who is joining these protests.

That's not fair. Many Jews, even Israeli ones have been supportive for Palestinian cause. I had a similar feeling of admiration for them.
My admiration for the protesters or Israeli protesters isn't so much about the cause itself, but because they are risking their future for something purely based on principals -they have nothing tangible to gain. And for the US ones, quite the opposite.

This is so important. After the fall of Soviet Union, Western youth started to become more and more materialistic and self centered. And too much aligned with an ugly Status Quo.
These protests give me hope again, not just for the Palestine, but for the West itself, 15 -20 years from now in another level.

I don't know if you're saying it's not fair that Jews are targeted by these so-called "pro-Palestinians" or that it's not fair that I'm pointing that out.

It's relevant in that it's a response to 5's expression of hope. I do not have any hope when I see these protest leaders - they are not champions of free speech, they are the exact opposite. It's been a recurring theme for the last six months or so - in Germany, mind you - that some of these so-called "pro-Palestinian" protesters* will pop up at public lectures, performances and other protests and scream and shout until the the event has to be prematurely ended. The connection of these events to the Israel/Palestine conflict is usually that there's either an Israeli talking or that there is something related to Jewish people, such as a reading of Hannah Arendt's works.

*I need to emphasise: I'm talking about the protest leaders, not your average student who is joining these protests.

I see, sorry I missed the context.

I haven't dig too much in TikTok but some people say that the bill opens the door for future ban of social media at will, i.e., anybody can be accused that acts as foreign agent this kind of thing.
Let me be clear that I think it's perfectly fine for other countries to make comparable demands upon Google and Meta, whose whole existences revolve around exploiting user data. The GDPR and comparable state legislation in California were great steps toward putting this more in check, and in fact forced Meta to rethink their entire business model in some ways -- but in countries that see the U.S. as an adversary in particular, they are perfectly justified in being concerned about what U.S. companies choose to do with this data, especially if anything fishy is going on between these companies and the U.S. government, which there appears to be. Same deal with using Microsoft OS and software in adversarial countries.

Could bad actors in the U.S. government try to piggyback off the TikTok bill to create a slippery slope and start curtailing freedom of expression in an unconstitutional way? Yes, of course they could try. And we would have to remain vigilant and prevent them from doing so, because that would be crossing a line that the divestment order does not, IMO.

Just discovered: 1977 charter of Likud (Netanyahu's) party in Israel was claiming exactly that, from the river to the sea. Clean of Palestinian people. This is a major party not some niche extremists.
Yep, it's garbage coming from either side. Israel is here to stay, and so are the Palestinians. You either need a viable two-state solution with security guarantees for both groups, or you need a non-apartheid one-state solution with one-person, one-vote representation, which I don't think the Israelis would ever go for.

I was expecting you would be somehow critical on the crack on first Amendment issues with the antisemitism awareness bill & violent resolve of the protests. Almost surprised that you didn't.
The Antisemitism Awareness Act is pretty tame, it just explicitly calls out discrimination against ethnic Jews and Americans of Israeli origin in programs receiving any federal funding as being unlawful, since you could argue that it's in a grey area of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. It also very explicitly states that it doesn't supersede any First Amendment rights.

As for breaking up the protests on college campuses, I think the colleges have been more than fair with these groups. The rules for what the protesters are and are not allowed to do were made very clear, giving them plenty of leeway to express their views fully, but the protesters have chosen to step over those boundaries by blocking off passage between different parts of the campus, setting up tents and staying in them overnight, and in some cases bullying and harassing students who are just trying to go to class. They were warned that they needed to stop doing these things, then explicitly told that if they didn't stop violating the rules that the police would be brought in and they would be charged with trespassing, and then they followed through on their word. As a general rule, the only protesters who were arrested were the ones that wanted to get arrested and intentionally provoked that response after multiple warnings. I have no sympathy for those people, and they forfeited any right to whine about their arrests -- they chose their own consequences.

Anyway, the protests have nothing to do with Hamas
Well, the ISGAP report cited by The Daily Mail strongly suggests otherwise (yes, this is an arguably partisan non-profit, and yes, this is The Daily Mail, so take it with an appropriate amount of sodium), and there are more widespread reports of people being paid to show up at these protests, with their funding coming from a variety of questionable sources.

students have the decency to risk their future and careers* to protest about killings and starving (we tend to omit that) of Palestinian people. [...] *This is huge and might be unprecedented. US students pay large fees and still risk of getting banned from school for being arrested and they do it regardless. One has to give it to them that they have values in their life. They should be proud.
...and yet when you ask these students basic contextual questions about what's going on in Israel and Palestine, many of them aren't even aware of the significance of October 7th, let alone that the Palestinians elected Hamas to be their leaders ~18 years ago, and that Hamas intentionally embedded their military compounds in and under civilian facilities like hospitals, schools, and mosques, as well as tunnel systems running under all of Gaza, so that any counterstrike by Israel was guaranteed to cause mass civilian casualties.

Has Israel's counteroffensive gone too far? In terms of civilian casualties the answer is clearly yes, even by the basic "eye for an eye" measure. But Hamas is responsible for sparking this, and Hamas shares some portion of the blame for the sheer number of Palestinian casualties because that's exactly the outcome they've been planning for decades. Hamas has also refused any kind of surrender or cease fire agreement that would have any hope of addressing Israel's very real security concerns, so at the end of the day they are still majorly culpable for the ongoing situation.

Unfortunately, many U.S. college students these days don't do well with nuance, and require everything to be viewed through an oppressor/oppressed lens, where oppressor = 100% BAD and oppressed = 100% GOOD. At the moment Israel is the oppressor and the Palestinians are the oppressed in that laughably binary view of the world, but if these same students had been paying attention on October 7th the calculation would have been very different indeed. And the ones who got arrested and as a result suspended or expelled have nothing to feel proud about -- they could have protested within the rules, still gotten their point across, and still remained in school. But they didn't.

I'm pretty sure back in Paris, May 1968, there wasn't a risk to getting barred from University if you were caught. Or in US for that matter.
Just a risk of getting shot.

No matter if one agrees with the protesters or not, this is a great moment that people show at last some resistance to political ugliness. Those are not desperate people, those are children with a future who risk their future to protest. Some tomorrow's leaders will be forged there and maybe the world will become eventually a better place even a little bit. I have a big respect for them.
It would be one thing if the laws they were violating were the issue that they were protesting -- then it would make sense and fall under the realm of civil disobedience, since the best way to draw attention to unfair laws when other methods have failed is to calmly and clearly break those laws in a manner where everyone can see how unjust the laws are, and draw attention to your plight throughout the judicial process. That's not what's going on here at all.

These protesters are breaking trespassing laws as political theater. Whether you block other people's passage or keep your tent on the ground overnight vs. packing it up and repitching it the next day has nothing at all to do with your message about Gaza. If you got arrested after ignoring all of the warnings about exactly what consequences your behavior would incur, then you're either an idiot (risking your future when it was completely unnecessary to do so to achieve the same goal) or you just get off on acting like a jerk.

I don't know if you're saying it's not fair that Jews are targeted by these so-called "pro-Palestinians" or that it's not fair that I'm pointing that out.

The first one, not fair that Jews are being targeted just for being Jews.

and there are more widespread reports of people being paid to show up at these protests, with their funding coming from a variety of questionable sources.

There could be a few paid people but this movement is massive and spread all around the country and beyond.

let alone that the Palestinians elected Hamas to be their leaders ~18 years ago

We never should go that path and accuse people, or we should start accusing Israelis that elect an apartheid state for decades.
But even like this, Hamas maybe the logical reaction of people living essentially in a prison.

Second Netanyahu supported the rise of Hamas to proceed with his agenda and burry the two state solution.

Has Israel's counteroffensive gone too far? In terms of civilian casualties the answer is clearly yes, even by the basic "eye for an eye" measure. But Hamas is responsible for sparking this, and Hamas shares some portion of the blame for the sheer number of Palestinian casualties because that's exactly the outcome they've been planning for decades.

Hamas is a reaction to an ongoing and unprecedented apartheid-like oppression before our eyes for decades. Israeli official rhetoric is deeply dehumanizing and racist, which lead to ICJ issuing warnings for genocide and ICC preparing arrest warrants. When one reads “from the river to the sea” in the charter of Israel’s governing party, it’s hard to give them any excuses.
So no, Hamas didn’t spark this.

Fair enough.

You guys will be knowing better about pro-Palestine protestors due to first hand experience but what I wish to convey is that Palestinian leadership has always been downtrodding for it's own people. A few facts to understand this:

- Palestine, before World War 1 was just one province of the vast Ottoman empire. Absentee landlordism was common. Thus, land was being sold to Jews by landowners who did not live in those parts and by Ottoman officials who were open to bribing. Local residents and actual tillers of the land had little say in it.

- 1917: British govt. needed Jewish backing in it's World War 1 efforts. To secure that, Balfour Declaration was signed, pledging support to the Zionist cause.

- After the defeat of the Ottoman Empire in World War 1, it's erstwhile domains were divided among the Allies. Palestine fell under the British mandate. This period, specially the 1930s was marked by widespread violence.

- Around this time, Peel Commission was set up by the British, proposing partition as the only solution to the Arab-Zionist frustrations. The Jewish side negotiated for better terms, but Palestine boycotted the suggestion.

- 1939: A White Paper by the British was much more favourable to the Palestinian side. However, the divided Palestinian leadership did not capitalize on the chance. Eventually, the British decided to withdraw by 1947, leaving the Plaestine cause issue to the UN.

- 1947: The UNGA voted to divide Palestine into Jewish and Arab states with Jerusalem under UN control. The outraged Palestinian side rejected the resolution.

- Years later, during the first Intifada (uprising) around 1987, though the Palestinians were still enraged by the Israeli occupations, the Israeli market did open for Palestinians for employment (though mostly for manual labour) and while BOTH the sides have been guilty of inciting casualities during this time, the Palestinian population, due to growing population and not enough employment even for degree holders (even extending Universities for those from refugee camps) became most vulnerable to extremism and hence organizations like Hamas coming into play.

I would again like to say that the October 7 attacks was a terrible step by Hamas (which I'm sure was not democratically elected), not only brutalizing Israelis but even troubling the lives of people on the Palestinian side.

If Egypt cares for Palestinians/muslims it should let them pass from Gaza to Egypt.

Don't think about it solely based on emotions, think strategically. It is NOT going to happen. Ever since the 1978 Camp David Accords in which Israel returned the Sinai peninsula to Egypt, the later has resumed supplying oil to Israel as their ships could now use the Suez Canal (one of the most important trade routes of the world). Egyptian-Israeli treaty was the first instance of an Arab country recognizing Israel as a state. But for another of Israel's nemesis, Syria, the Israel-Egypt peace deal had nothing and ended up with Israel occupying even more of the strategically important Golan heights (to this day). Economy plays a very big factor, religion is just an excuse.

Last edited:
There could be a few paid people but this movement is massive and spread all around the country and beyond.
Yes, but you claimed that the protests had nothing to do with Hamas, when in fact many of the activist groups and whatever number of paid protesters are involved may very well be being bankrolled in whole or in part by Hamas-linked non-profits. There’s definitely a lot of smoke there, and I’d be interested to read the 73-page report indirectly cited by The Daily Mail to judge for myself.

We never should go that path and accuse people, or we should start accusing Israelis that elect an apartheid state for decades.
If it was a reasonably free and fair election in the mid-2000s in Palestine, then yes, it’s entirely reasonable to cite Palestine’s decision to elect Hamas as their leaders as a measure of culpability here, just as it would be to note Israelis frequently returning Netanyahu to power, or the U.S. reelecting George W. Bush and now possibly Donald Trump. Elections certainly don’t tell the whole story of a country’s stance, but the results show where most of the country wants things to go, and they often have long-term consequences.

But even like this, Hamas maybe the logical reaction of people living essentially in a prison.
In 2000 Clinton and Barak offered Arafat the best deal he was ever going to get on a two-state solution, and he turned it down. This led into the Second Intifada, which lasted for about 5 years, and the elections held afterward in Palestine unexpectedly gave Hamas a majority in the Palestinian Legislative Council.

You can draw a straight line between Arafat’s inability to accept a peace deal and the election of majority Hamas rule in Palestine a few years later. This was not a rational response to anything by the Palestinians. Peace was truly within their grasp and they violently rejected it, culminating in the majority election of an internationally recognized terrorist group to govern them instead. And you can draw a straight line from that to October 7.

Second Netanyahu supported the rise of Hamas to proceed with his agenda and burry the two state solution.
That’s true, and this is fucked up. Israel’s right wing benefits politically from Palestinian violence, up to a point.

When one reads “from the river to the sea” in the charter of Israel’s governing party, it’s hard to give them any excuses.
And when the same is regularly chanted by their adversaries in Palestine, the same holds true for them.

So no, Hamas didn’t spark this.
They certainly sparked the current conflict through their actions on October 7, which was the third worst terrorist attack of all time in terms of total deaths, and the worst terrorist attack of all time per capita. If you want to go back further, blame Yasser Arafat for turning down peace when he had the chance to definitively end this, because that’s what led to the political rise of Hamas in Palestine.

I think there's more than just Yasser Arafat in today's situation. Israel hasn't acted in a way to attempt to undercut Hamas, Netanyahu has used it as a political prop to try to maintain power and it bit him, and now he's going way, way too far in his retaliation. But yes, the PLO failed as an organization and that is one of the things that empowered Hamas greatly. Israel's policy of killing 20 Palestinians for every dead Israeli is probably up there as well, to be totally frank.

Hamas didn't have to attack, mind you. They chose to launch the Oct 7 attack, and they took hostages, and you have to think they expected some level of response from Israel, and that was part of the plan. It may be that this is exactly what they expected - a rise in Palestinian sympathies around the world in exchange for 35,000 dead and 2 million starving - or it may be that Israel hit way harder than they were thinking. But on some level Hamas was well aware that when they attacked Israel they would suffer massive casualties among the attacking fighters and among the people for whom the claim governmental responsibility.

Around the campus protests, I think it's (intentionally) very challenging to address them with a sweeping statement. Each one has different leaders, different goals, different tolerances. The ones that seem to invite in anti-Semitism should certainly be critically targeted. The longer you dig in, the longer the protest goes on, the less likely it is to be legal. We have the right to protest in public spaces, but you cannot monopolize a private space forever. And most of these protests are on private (ish, depending on how much public funding the school gets) property.

The big one here is at McGill University in Montreal. McGill has tried to paint the protest as anti-Semitic, released some video that has been extremely tenuous and damaged the university's position. The protest is not disrupting much in the way of classes and whenever they find someone to say they don't feel safe it's invariably a non-campus-living person. But they're probably going to get evicted by the cops after a few weeks. It'll be interesting, to say the least.

I'm fine with protests, I've even gone to a couple myself down on Parliament Hill (specifically around UNRWA funding). But if I didn't support three weeks of entrenched right wing, anti-vax assholes in downtown Ottawa on public land, I can't support a forever protest on private (ish) property, either. That said, being arrested has to be part of the goal for some of these groups, right? That's how your raise your profile.

This thread should be endorsed by the UN on how to have a civil debate on Israel/Palestine without anyone resorting to mud sligning, death threats or pro either side propaganda.

Maiden fans really are the fucking best shit.

My only personal encounter with these protests was walking by Columbia (not on the campus, but next to it, mind you) and hearing chants of "from the river to the sea" which I find to be an inherently antisemitic statement. It's interesting, for as much as it is prominent on the news, it's all contained to that small chunk of campus land in a giant city (where a ~1 hour walk will also take you to a courthouse where Trump is on trial).

Otherwise I generally agree with the desired outcome of these protests, which is ostensibly for a ceasefire in Gaza. I think Israel needs to come to the table and that the USA needs to be more aggressive in pushing this to happen. It's a sticky situation where the war continuing favors Netanyahu's political interests (stay in power, no corruption charges) but is pretty bad for Biden. These protests have been moderately effective in getting the US to move quicker into this direction, but the longer they go on the more it seems to undercut public sentiment around how the western world should be responding to what is happening.

Yes, but you claimed that the protests had nothing to do with Hamas, when in fact many of the activist groups and whatever number of paid protesters are involved may very well be being bankrolled in whole or in part by Hamas-linked non-profits. There’s definitely a lot of smoke there, and I’d be interested to read the 73-page report indirectly cited by The Daily Mail to judge for myself.

In any situation there are rotten apples, so I'm guessing there must be here too, I'm pretty sure the vast majority has nothing to do with Hamas, thus I can claim that protests have nothing to do with it.

If it was a reasonably free and fair election in the mid-2000s in Palestine, then yes, it’s entirely reasonable to cite Palestine’s decision to elect Hamas as their leaders as a measure of culpability here, just as it would be to note Israelis frequently returning Netanyahu to power, or the U.S. reelecting George W. Bush and now possibly Donald Trump. Elections certainly don’t tell the whole story of a country’s stance, but the results show where most of the country wants things to go, and they often have long-term consequences.

I don't think it's ethical or constructive to blame people, including Germans for Hitler. Their vote carries a weight yes, but we enter dangerous waters if we start doing that. It's a basic principle.

And when the same is regularly chanted by their adversaries in Palestine, the same holds true for them.

Sure, but it's not fair to compare them as if they were the same thing. PLO was never for the extinction of Jews for one. But

They certainly sparked the current conflict through their actions on October 7, which was the third worst terrorist attack of all time in terms of total deaths, and the worst terrorist attack of all time per capita. If you want to go back further, blame Yasser Arafat for turning down peace when he had the chance to definitively end this, because that’s what led to the political rise of Hamas in Palestine.

Netanyahu completely fucked up, if he had gone the official way and turned to UN Security Council, Hamas would be extinct not by war but by sanctions, as everybody was sympathetic of Israel on October 8th. And Biden played a major role in that by giving Netanyahu a blanc check.

In any situation there are rotten apples, so I'm guessing there must be here too, I'm pretty sure the vast majority has nothing to do with Hamas, thus I can claim that protests have nothing to do with it.
You can claim it, but if it turned out that a significant number of protest organizers were receiving funding from Hamas-affiliated nonprofits, I’d hope you’d change your tune.

I don't think it's ethical or constructive to blame people, including Germans for Hitler. Their vote carries a weight yes, but we enter dangerous waters if we start doing that. It's a basic principle.
We’ll have to agree to disagree on this one. Elections have consequences.

Sure, but it's not fair to compare them as if they were the same thing. PLO was never for the extinction of Jews for one.
Their original 1964 charter made it clear that they saw the establishment of Israel as illegal, and that Palestine’s borders before the creation of Israel were the only acceptable ones. They only started acknowledging Israel’s right to exist in 1993.

Netanyahu completely fucked up, if he had gone the official way and turned to UN Security Council, Hamas would be extinct not by war but by sanctions, as everybody was sympathetic of Israel on October 8th. And Biden played a major role in that by giving Netanyahu a blanc check.
Eh, doubtful to me. And Israel wasn’t going to stand by and do nothing after an invasion of that kind — no country with any credible military would. The problem is with how Israel has chosen to prosecute the war and how far they’ve taken things in terms of cavalier attitudes toward civilian deaths, including aid workers and journalists as well as Gazans.

And, of course, Hamas’s refusal to accept terms of surrender or cease fire that could ever be acceptable to Israel is also a large factor here.

Wrong. We are talking about adults here. They are responsible for Hitler 100% And there were dire consequences of that political choice.

You can claim it, but if it turned out that a significant number of protest organizers were receiving funding from Hamas-affiliated nonprofits, I’d hope you’d change your tune.

Sure but even if it were true, we'd have to discredit other significant protests /color revolutions that US has founded. No need to take that path.
Anyway, protests have massive participation by students. Nearly 100% of students receive no funds to protest and still they put their future at risk to do so. There’s something to admire on that, unlike other protests.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on this one. Elections have consequences.

They do and it should be that way. But this is different as to put the blame on the people.

Their original 1964 charter made it clear that they saw the establishment of Israel as illegal, and that Palestine’s borders before the creation of Israel were the only acceptable ones. They only started acknowledging Israel’s right to exist in 1993.

Again, it's now 31 years that they do acknowledge it. 31 years later, Israel still doesn't acknowledge Palestinians right to have a state. Instead they did everything they could to make it impossible, including supporting Hamas. It backfired badly.

Eh, doubtful to me. And Israel wasn’t going to stand by and do nothing after an invasion of that kind — no country with any credible military would. The problem is with how Israel has chosen to prosecute the war and how far they’ve taken things in terms of cavalier attitudes toward civilian deaths, including aid workers and journalists as well as Gazans.

If Israel really wanted to end Hamas this would be the way. Intentions do matter and become transparent in due time. Instead, what they really wanted to do is cleansing Gaza and so they've chosen the path they did.
Remember the extraordinary demand of Israel all Gaza to be evacuated? Once Palestinians were moved to Egypt they would never take them back.

Back