The Israel-Palestine conflict

Areas should indeed be stressed in a good manner. Thus I stand corrected.

Still, (moral) support can be taken from place X (Westbank or somewhere else) when fuel (violence) is tanked into place Y (Gaza). Also, across the whole world, the anti-Israeli sentiment is growing more and more on places where Hamas is not present. It could be an extra motivation to go on.
Hamas is in Gaza, and they don't care if Israel withdraws from the West Bank.
Who knows. I am not that sure about it. The less reason for hate, the better.

My point is, just blaming Israel on everything fails to see the complexity of what is happening there. Yes, the Israeli army kills Palestinian babies. But Hamas kills Israeli babies too, and, in addition to that, also kills Palestinian babies.
Agreed. There is more than one side which should be looked at in a critical way.

Hamas will never stop. That's pretty much their motto. And if part of Hamas tries to stop, the other part kills them and attacks Israel. Hamas is evil, straight up. Israel? Is pretty damn close.

Also, across the whole world, the anti-Israeli sentiment is growing more and more on places where Hamas is not present. It could be an extra motivation to go on.

I really don't want to come across as a notorious naysayer, but I would advise you to be careful whom you cheer for. I have been reading a lot of comments and analyses on this growing anti-Israeli sentiment lately. The general consensus is that there is a lot of legit criticism of Israeli politics, intertwined with hidden or sometimes blatant anti-Semitism, and it's becoming less and less easy to distinguish.

I am sure everyone is thrilled that so much of the aid sent there over the years has been spend on building these tunnels instead of whatever it was intended for (my guess, above ground construction). So long as Hamas has a stronghold there, this is going to happen over and over and over. The thought that they are looking for any kind of solution that does not involve Israel no longer existing is a fantasy.

I feel sorry for all the innocent people caught in the crossfire, but that blatant anti-Israeli sentiment is baffling to me.

Rather than anti-semitism, I've heard a lot of populist strong anti-Muslim views about Gaza, using some very scary language.

Last edited:
Here's another question: why is this conflict getting so much more attention than those in Iraq, Syria or even Ukraine right now?

More current attention in the media.

In the Netherlands Ukraine still has about as much attention by the way.

edit: now that I think about it, all conflicts have attention in the media; out here it just depends on us what we want to share/discuss.

Here's a provoking answer. I do not necessarely agree with it but I wonder if it also has to do with this:

Non-Muslims killing innocent Muslims and Muslims killing innocent non-Muslims is more shocking in the West than Muslims killing each other (that last thing seems everlasting; that first thing happens in intervals).

I'm aware of that. And it reminds me of how apallingly racist the west still is and that it has no intention to overcome this.

Media pays much more attention to Gaza here in Turkey as well. People are in full support of Palestine but there are shitloads of anti-semitic remarks that can be heard. I even heard people praising Adolf Hitler.

I often look at Al Jazeera to help get a broader view of world news. I see a bit in the Guardian, Independent and the Times about Syria and Iraq, but by and large, British media follows the line that a lot of the public assume it's somebody else's businesses and don't want to pay too much attention.

The Israeli really have some nutcases in their ranks. Fucking hell.
Mr Ban described Sunday's attack as "yet another gross violation of international humanitarian law", and said Israel had regularly been informed of the precise location of the school.

"This madness must stop," he said in a statement.

It follows the shelling of a Jabaliya shelter last week, which killed 16 people.

Robert Turner, director of operations for the UN Palestinian refugee agency in Gaza, said: "The locations of all of these installations have been passed to the Israeli military multiple times.

"They know where these shelters are. How this continues to happen, I have no idea."

Last edited:
... and it looks like this round is drawing down ... though I am sure there will be a few more rocket launches and hopefully many more tunnels blown up.

So much for the cease fire holding, Hamas fired rockets into Israel, who promptly retaliated. I strongly suspect Hamas is pleased with the civilian casualties to aid in their propaganda. How else do you explain firing a rockets that will either fall harmlessly or most likely be intercepted by the Iron Dome ... when you know you have zero defense when the counter strikes come in.

Gaza: Hamas says 18 suspected informants executed

Hamas sources in Gaza say 18 people suspected of collaborating with Israel have been executed.

The killings came after an Israeli airstrike left three senior Hamas leaders dead on Thursday.

Officials in Gaza say at least two more Palestinians were killed in Israeli airstrikes overnight, and Israel said more rockets were fired from Gaza.

More than 2,070 Palestinians, mostly civilians, and 66 Israelis, mostly troops, have been killed in six weeks.

A Thai national in Israel was also killed by rocket fire early on in the conflict. No-one was injured by the rockets which hit Israel on Friday morning.

Hostilities between Israel and Palestinian militants in Gaza resumed on Tuesday, scuppering efforts in Cairo to achieve a long-term ceasefire deal.

Hamas has insisted on a lifting of the economic blockade of Gaza as part of any longer-term deal.

Israel has vowed to pursue its campaign until "full security" is achieved through the disarmament of Hamas and other groups in Gaza.

'Forced by circumstances'
Hamas sources said Friday's executions had been carried out by what it called the Resistance, which may suggest the involvement of other armed Palestinian factions.

Hamas officials told Reuters that the first 11 executions were carried out at an abandoned police station.

Witnesses said another seven people were shot by men in Hamas uniforms outside the Al-Umari mosque in central Gaza.

hamasexecutions660.jpg

Last edited:
Back