THE IRON MAIDEN COVERENDUM: Angel Stage (FINAL!)

df2a5e9d-4de0-4209-807d-77a7fc3f2daa-png.12803

Eliminated:
Steve 'n Seagulls - Aces High
Opeth - Remember Tomorrow

Promoted:
Solitude Aeturnus - Hallowed Be Thy Name
Iced Earth - Transylvania

Tyr - Where Eagles Dare
Nominated by @MrKnickerbocker and @Night Prowler .

--Vs.--

Mägo de Oz - Strange World
Nominated by Hande's Blog.

-------------------------​

Jørn Lande - The Final Frontier
Nominated by @Kalata .

--Vs.--

Dark Tranquillity - 22 Acacia Avenue
Nominated by @Night Prowler .

The Tyr track is a strong, mostly faithful cover, while the Mägo De Oz track is more of a curiosity. Easy win for MrProwlerbocker’s nominee. Winner: Tyr

Surprise, an extreme vocal cover of a melodic vocal song sucks donkey balls. @Kalata ‘s nominee takes @Night Prowler ’s out behind the shed and gives it the Old Yeller treatment. Winner: Jørn Lande

I like how Jørn Lande made some changes to his cover of ''The Final Frontier'' - added a different short intro that fits the theme of the song, the guitar solos and ending are different and he added a fantastic melodic harmony. Plus, his voice resembles Dio's voice and with all things said he made the song to sound a little more epic for a title track. All his changes are good. One of the best covers of a Maiden song... I'm glad I've nominated it.

It would have been great if the Maiden song had a melodic harmony part after the solos. Maybe Maiden wanted a short rocker for a title track, but if the song contained the changes that he made, then they could remove the too long intro (Satellite 15...)

I´m not a big Jorn Lande fan but his Dionized cover might be one of the best ever.
Mägo de Oz is folky, daring and original. Especially with the Prophecy outro. :wub: They get my vote.

I'm fond of Tyr and fond of WED, so it would take an excellent cover to make me vote against it. Tyr might take this down a pace but add more weight and clout, and the guitar sounds fresh and updated, a contrast to the tired Dave Murray live soloing of late.
Mägo de Oz put a brilliantly original spin on Strange World, but I just enjoy the first of this pair more.

Jørn's TFF cover adds a lot to the original. I'm okay with Dark Tranquility's 22AA cover, it works, in my book, just not as well as Jorn's TFF cover.

9246-96fa075d3f22182543a379c31da99e48.jpg

Eliminated:
Mägo de Oz - Strange World
Dark Tranquillity - 22 Acacia Avenue

Promoted:
Tyr - Where Eagles Dare
Jørn Lande - The Final Frontier

Necrophobic - Moonchild
Nominated by @Night Prowler .

--Vs.--

Children Of Bodom - Aces High
Nominated by N/A.

-------------------------​

Overkill - Sanctuary
Nominated by @Kalata .

--Vs.--

Testament - Powerslave
Nominated by @MrKnickerbocker , @Whooten , and Loudwire.

Match 1:
456f917e756f5338f7eb418d8f47906d--post-metal-iron-maiden.jpg

I’d just flip a coin, but I think the Children Of Bodom cover has better music and loses less of the original song because the absent vocal melody was doubled by the guitars. Necrophobic gets style points for picking a thematically appropriate song with only half-sung original vocals, though. Both songs have completely atrocious extreme vocals that ruin the entire experience, of course. Sorry, @Night Prowler, but the anonymous nominee takes this one. Winner: Children Of Bodom

Match 2 is also a battle of less-than-thrilling options. The Overkill cover has great music with crummy but somewhat Di’anno-esque vocals. The Testament cover has mostly strong music with a few odd choices, but the vocal delivery is lazy and lackluster. “Powerslave” is also a fundamentally better song than “Sanctuary”. I could go either way here, but I think Overkill’s cover is a little more faithful and has more fire, so I’m going to go with @Kalata ‘s choice here. Sorry, MrWhootenbocker. Winner: Overkill

I nominated Powerslave specifically for the double bass drums. I think "Laid to waste" is one of those strange choices Jer mentions.

Last edited:
Ugh. I love Necrophobic's Moonchild cover, I think it seriously works. I feel dreadful voting against COB today, though. :( I'd prefer either of these over the second two. Going for Necrophobic as I just prefer this of the two songs.

Testament do a decent job of Powerslave.

First matchup. Didn't like either particularly much. Necrophobic gets it because harsh vocals fits that song better.

Second one goes to Testament. Very enjoyable cover, all their own twists to the song work well. That one should go really far.

df2a5e9d-4de0-4209-807d-77a7fc3f2daa-png.12803

Eliminated:
Children of Bodom - Aces High
Overkill - Sanctuary

Promoted:
Necrophobic - Moonchild
Testament - Powerslave

Hellsongs - Run To The Hills
Nominated by @Lamia020281 .

--Vs.--

Anthrax - Remember Tomorrow
Nominated by @The_7th_one .

----------------------------------

Grave Digger - Running Free
Nominated by @Kalata .

--Vs.--

Ihsahn - Wrathchild
Nominated by @Night Prowler and @Whooten .

Back