The Ides of March

How good is The Ides of March on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
7/10. Nice little instrumental piece, love the marching vibe, not long or special enough to merit higher than a 7 for me.

Some rumors says that former members Tony Moore and Barry Purkins (Thunderstick) wrote this with Steve. I know Barry recorded a version with Samson when Bruce was the singer of that band. Steve has co-writership on that one.

Maiden never fail when it comes to instrumentals. Clive is amazing, the guitars are insane, and Maiden are by far the greatest band at projecting imagery through their music. Don't know if there is a better marching song, in fact this is probably better than a lot of official ones. 9/10

Another great instrumental and to start an album nonetheless. The first three songs are the best of the album. Here we go!

9/10

Hard to rate this as its just an intro in my book, but I try.
Nice groove, good melodies. Really nice with better production then the last album.
Its to short to actually do something more then just introducing the album, so I give it:

6/10

Good way to open the album instead of just starting with Wrathchild. The production is also noticeably better from the last one.
There's some cool guitar licks in here, but nothing to rave about. A solid way to kick off both H and Martin Birch's tenures with the band.

7/10

As many regulars on this forum know, I really hate this song. It's probably their most pointless work to date, and I cannot fathom why they didn't open the album with Wrathchild, or at least let it segway in a better fashion into Wrathchild.

The only thing preventing it from getting a 1/10 is that musically, it's alright, albeit very bland. It's not bad to the point it's insulting (we'll get to you later, Weekend Warrior).

2/10

RTC's Maiden Ranking:
1: Phantom Of The Opera: 9/10
2: Remember Tomorrow: 8/10
3: Transylvania: 7/10
4: Strange World: 6/10
5: Sanctuary: 6/10
6: Prowler: 6/10
7: Iron Maiden: 5/10
8: Charlotte The Harlot: 5/10
9: Running Free: 4/10
10: The Ides Of March: 2/10

While not being anything really interesting musically, what's nice about this one is that it works so well as an intro. Not just as an intro to Wrathchild but some other Iron Maiden songs too. I usually have it open Stranger In A Strange Land but it works for some other songs too.

It's just too short, though. I can never get fully pumped by it, and it needs support from the track after it to really make it good.

Judging it on its own, though...well, 6/10.

The Ides Of March is my favourite track from this album. What a stunning opener this is.

Any rating less than 10/10 would be blasphemy.

This track is interesting for what it is, but it feels incomplete. Has some nice guitar work, but I don't consider it anything more than the start of Wrathchild that I can skip. Unlike Satellite 15.

5/10.

I'm giving this one a 6/10 now. It's nice and inoffensive and works as an intro, but it is not stand-out in any way.

Back