The Ides of March

How good is The Ides of March on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
  • Nothing more than an intro to Wrathchild. Some exciting guitar work that does a good job preparing for the rest of the album.
  • I don't think it sounds incomplete, it sound complete for what it is: An intro. Skippable but not particularly weak.
5/10.

I think this is a great intro, it worked well on the live shows and it works well here. It doesn't feel like a complete song and I don't view it as one either since it would feel a bit wierd to listen to on it's own without a follow up track for it to lead into. But I like it, it sets the mood nicely and does it's thing. I have always felt Maiden records have worked better with intros than just starting with a short rocker.
7/10

A good intro, but I think it could be cut and the album wouldn't suffer. Balances out at a...

5/10

I'm going to give it 7. Because it's tailored to be just an minute intro to the album/show. In that role it works, and a seven won't bring down or significantly raise total album score.

7/10. Works great as an intro, which of course was what it was written for. I wish Maiden would have made more albums with a specific intro to set the mood of the album like this one does very will for Killers. I enjoy hearing it before Wrathchild, then Murders In A Rue Morgue, definitely a strong way to open their 2nd album!

It's hard to choose between Genghis Khan and this song, both are great, Khan is slightly better, this song is awesome nonetheless, give it 9/10.

Largely superfluous intro with some wonderful guitar work.
Highlight: Adrian Smith
Lowlight: "Wrathchild" offers a better intro to "Wrathchild" than this
5/10

You can’t really class it as a great song on its own, but it works amazingly as an intro, expecially for Wrathchild. 8/10

I don't like rating this as its own thing, because it's really just an extended intro to "Wrathchild", but here we are.

A simple riff and repetitive drum fills are elevated by a nice guitar lead and solo section (welcome Adrian, your presence is immediately felt!).

Not a whole lot to get excited about here, but it's nice enough. 6/10.

Maiden's second album begins on a high note. It may be short, but "The Ides of March" does what it sets out to do. 9/10 because I don't think it's quite as good as the other four greats on this album.

A surprisingly great intro to Killers despite its length, "The Ides of March" is short but oh-so-sweet. If it were longer, this may have been even better, but what we got still works well. Knocked off a point just because it's merely an intro. 7

Back