The Ides Of March - Early recording?

Ok I don't understand it all - were Parsons and Sampson playing in Ruskin Arms 5th of October 1979? It is listed everywhere so. The 14th of November BBC performance has 2 guitars. Dennis Stratton came into fold in December 1979.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't referring to that issue specifically, more so how llittle 'investigations' as such like this uncover how jumbled up things were and how members contributions get lost in the mix even if they were somewhat significant

Only if that live gig was recorded and released, which it wasn't. I would also like a breakdown of guitarists between Carins and Stratton, eg. throughout 1979, if someone could be arsed :)

Of course they couldn't. But using it, after releasing The Soundhouse Tapes with no credits to him, kinda adds insult to injury.

Are we certain he has guitar pats on released tracks? (Strange World wasn't released)

kinda adds insult to injury.

That's a bit dramatic.

For it to be an insult to him, he would have to be aware they were using a tape with him playing on it. It could be anyone playing on that tape to be fair, it's only one simple riff and both guitarists are practically playing the same thing.

Of course they couldn't. But using it, after releasing The Soundhouse Tapes with no credits to him, kinda adds insult to injury.

Yeah that's him on Invasion's first/3rd solo (left channel).

The mystery version of The Ides Of March was a live recording the band did at a rehearsal at The Ruskin Arms in April 1979 and polished to be used as an intro tape during the January sessions of 1980 (recordings of Running Free for the single).
Be gone, Metal for Muthas and Wrathchild connection theories.
The track could be recorded by the band themselves, who knows.
Indeed, Forostar's post of this topic. Can't resist saying that some people did not wish to believe this possibility at first.

Still, I think the debut album was also recorded (for a big part at least) in January. "The January sessions" is a vague term.

Last edited:
That's a bit dramatic.

For it to be an insult to him, he would have to be aware they were using a tape with him playing on it. It could be anyone playing on that tape to be fair, it's only one simple riff and both guitarists are practically playing the same thing.
Agree, it's just the attitude.

I corrected my original post about the origin of the mystery session after checking my notes. The version was recorded at a pre gig rehearsal at the Ruskin Arms on April 1979 and polished during the Running Free single sessions. The line up should have been Paul Di'Anno, Dave Murray, Paul Cairns, Steve Harris, Doug Sampson
When did Cairns leave?
And what is the reasoning behind the thought that he is playing on this rehearsal?
Do you guys clearly hear two guitars? I didn't to be honest. Not clearly at least.

Last edited:
Do you guys clearly hear two guitars? I didn't to be honest. Not clearly at least.

In the first 25 seconds you can hear the guitar in one channel is feeding back a bit as the chords ring out and the other channel there's no feedback.

Be gone, Metal for Muthas and Wrathchild connection theories.

Indeed, Forostar's post of this topic. Can't resist saying that some people did not wish to believe this possibility at first.

Still, I think the debut album was also recorded (for a big part at least) in January. "The January sessions" is a vague term.

@Forostar I can tell you now that I'm a 100% sure that the debut album was NOT recorded in January. The only song recorded in January was Running Free for the single.

In the first 25 seconds you can hear the guitar in one channel is feeding back a bit as the chords ring out and the other channel there's no feedback.
What channel? Do you have stereo?

Luisma, I am not convinced by the info/reasoning you presented.

When did Cairns leave?
And what is the reasoning behind the thought that he is playing on this rehearsal?

Cairns "left" the band (because of back problems according to him) around April 14, 1979. A little story for everyone reading:

After recording the Spaceward Demo, Paul went into hospital to have surgery on his back. The band were fully aware of this and Steve and Dave even went to the hospital to see if he was ok. When Paul was fit enough to walk, he was invited to join the band for a few rehearsals, and eventually a few gigs. Due to Paul's operation, understandably he couldn't move around as well as he could before, but the band thought he wasn't giving 100% so they fired him.

Now, if one is to believe the "official" information (and Loopy comments this in his page): Paul Cairns entered Maiden Late 78 and last show was April 14, 1979. If this is true, one has to consider that Maiden played 2 times at The Ruskin Arms during april (7 & 14), so the recording had to be done in the rehearsal of any of these gigs.

I do hear 2 guitars.

Last edited:
What channel? Do you have stereo?

Luisma, I am not convinced by the info/reasoning you presented.

What part of it?

The thing is, I have crossed a lot of information and contacted people who are close to the band who have facts to support everything I have presented here and to reach the conclusions I have presented here. I would glady try to clarify things for anyone (as some very knowledgeble people have done with me) but I cannot convince someone who just wants to believe the official information the band has given AND that is wrong.

It has not so much to do with official or not. The stuff you have mentioned is just not that convincing. Not more than the stuff I mentioned.
Cairns left the band (because of back problems according to him) the first days of January 1980.
1980? Nope.
According to my research, Paul Cairns first gig with Maiden was february 15, 1979 so, if you consider that he was in the band during the recording of The Soundhouse Tapes, you can be sure he was at the rehearsal Maiden played in April 1979.
Why? The Soundhouse Tapes happened in 1978.
I do hear 2 guitars.
Cheers I'll give it another listen.

It has not so much to do with official or not. The stuff you have mentioned is just not that convincing. Not more than the stuff I mentioned.

1980? Nope.

Why? The Soundhouse Tapes happened in 1978.

Cheers I'll give it another listen.

@Forostar this is what happens when you try to write things in a hurry and not pay attention to what you're doing (because you should be working and not talking about Maiden :facepalm:). You're right, Paul Cairns didn't "leave" the band in January 1980, he was fired in the days after his last show with Maiden at The Ruskin Arms on 14 april 1979.

You're right also right, The Soundhouse Tapes was recorded December 30 & 31, 1978, and as I said not a while ago, Paul Cairns last show with Maiden was April 14, 1979.

Thanks for correcting my facts here. I have edited the posts where I had incorrect dates.

Back