The Greatest Metal Song Cup - Part II, Round 4, Matches 46-51

What is your favourite song in each match? Vote in all six matchups!

• ----------------------------

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
I also came to metal via Metallica, but I did listen to hip hop in 5th/6th grade and so naturally I liked a lot of nu-metal bands.

I owned Significant Other, Follow the Leader, the first couple Disturbed albums, Rob Zombie, Family Values tour compilations, etc. The heavier stuff never appealed to me (Slipknot, Static-X, Mudvayne, etc). By the time Linkin Park came along I was completely over it and listening to mostly older bands.

Thank Dio I wised up.
My journey was influenced much by MuchMusic, which was getting me into Korn, Limp Bizkit, Disturbed, and at the tail end, Linkin Park. And then I heard Alexander the Great, and I was pretty much a full pivot into proper heavy metal.

In case anyone wasn't aware, I specifically went out of my way to find a list that included a bunch of nu metal because it deserves to be evaluated against the rest of the genre in a game of this scope and magnitude. We're mostly filtering it into the best available options for group play right now, at which point Maidenfans expects that every member shall do their duty.

Look At Yourself is a really interesting piece of early prog. Some cool stuff that becomes the building blocks for later bands, including Steve Harris's Iron Maiden. On the other side is a KISS song so bland and crappy that Popoff didn't nominate it. Uriah Heep in a landslide.

I wasn't impressed by Anthem. They sounded like standard metal with lyrics I can't understand. Not the end of the world, but very beatable. Unfortunately an absolutely terrible Accept song can't rise to the challenge. Slow and plodding and simple? Terrible combination. Bad singing, bad vocals. Gotta go with Anthem.

Real matchup of titans here, at least for my ears. Desert Plains is a great song, but the studio version lacks oomph. It's still really good and it would beat every other song in this round in a walk, except for Burning Times, which is a great little rocker that kicks off a great album. Tough choice, but I'll give it to Iced Earth. See, Jon Schaffer, that's how you win elections, by being the better candidate, not stealing them by invading the Capitol.

Luca Turilli has been allowed to indulge his worst instincts. Bad electronic harpsichord to start? Stinky cheese! Terrible drumming that resorts to inane double bass! Singing out of tune on what's supposed to be the chorus! There's fun to be had here, but it's not what I could call good, and I'm not sure it's cheesy enough to win in a Cheesevivör, either. Avantasia's offering is overblown, overproduced, overlong, and like most Avantasia, far far too pretentious. But at least the singers are in tune, and the drumming isn't bad. Avantasia.

A matchup of hard rock classics here. School's Out is a really great little song, one of Alice Cooper's best, and certainly, most crowd pleasing. But Barracuda is a monster. Young me would pick Alice, but Barracuda's just a wonderful piece top to bottom. Heart.

Outshined is a very pedestrian, slow song. It's fine, and it's easy to see how it got nominated on the Popoff list. But Smells Like Teen Spirit is a classic for a reason, the song of a generation. No contest. Nirvana.

I stand behind what I said regarding Uriah Heep previously in this cup
My relationship with Uriah Heep is rather complex. Being one of the bands that were able to cross the Iron Curtain, it is - in my father's generation, at least - oft overrated. Meaning, just because their "Western" albums were being sold on the black market right next to Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin, they must be pretty much homoousian, right? Right?
(to a certain degree, similar thing happened with Abba and Boney M)

My own experience and appreciation had to overcome this inherent over-appreciation that was present all around, as well as the general exaggeration of their importance and competence, while trying to like the band. They tend to be rather silly often, in a way that is somehow altogether unlike the silliness I crave for and appreciate in vintage power metal. I'm learning to respect them less than my immediate region and more than the overall public does. Instrumentally, vocally, conceptually, I can't really help myself from feeling they are the epitome of a second grade, quite miserably so.

and yet, I can't deny that B-grade or not, they do possess a certain charm that speaks to both the (power) metal fan as well as the prog fan within me. Especially in their classic era, of which Look at Yourself - the song and the album - is a perfect representative. The typical tight gallop, the undeniable catchiness, I'd say that if we talk purely about feeling, it is heavier than many of their contemporaries. Byron's vocal stylisations are an acquired taste, true, but even then, when it works, it works (and it definitely does so here). I do not wish to overpraise either the song or the band, but next to your generic power-poppy Kiss shtick, it is quite obvious my vote shall go to Uriah Heep.

-----

Anthem are not half bad, but Restless and Wild is probably the best Accept album (well, speaking objectively, I will talk about my personal favourite later in the game) and the subtle, held-back, "jagged" energy of Princess of the Dawn can't be beat. Man, I have to give the entire album another spin soon.

-----

A B-tier Priest album (and song) against one of the better Iced Earth efforts makes me want to go storm the Capitol and then some. Vive la résistance!

-----

I am dreading the results of this round, to be honest, since there hasn't been much love for either Rhapsody or Luca Turilli himself, but here we go again with what might be my favourite Rhapsody/Rhapsody-affiliated track overall. The harpsichord intro, the jovially embellished riff, the abosfuckinglutely unbelievably catchy pre-chorus, the majestic chorus, it's everything I've ever wanted from Luca and then some. Ever since I discovered this album, it might be actually my favourite one with Turilli (meaning, of all he ever played/composed on, including the OG Rhapsody ones), because this is just perfect. Love, love, love it.

I like Sammett and Avantasia, in fact the first two Avantasia albums are among my favourite albums in general, genre be damned, but Moonglow is already them leaving the power metal beauty behind and The Raven Child is a perfect example thereof. There's nothing particularly bad per se, but I can't help but feel it's rather lacklustre and "modern". I mean, this is the bloke who wrote The Seven Angels? Sign of the Cross? Reach Out for the Light? Really? Next to Legend of Steel, this feels downright anemic.

TURILLI and it's not even a contest. And I say that as someone who wholeheartedly supported another (a million times better) Avantasia track eliminating my own nomination in the early rounds.

-----

So, more old school classics, huh? Barracuda is really cool, but honestly, I feel like the song is criminally overplayed (wasn't it in fucking Shrek or somewhere?), possibly even more than School's Out... or it lends itself to being overplayed more, dunno. I'd be fine with either song winning (the riff and the vocals in Barracuda are really top-notch), but I think I'll go with the artist favouritism and vote for Alice Cooper here.

-----

Man, the last match is really easy. Soundgarden with Cornell at his prime and with a banger coming right off their best album (if we discount Alice in Chain's Dirt, Badmotorfinger is quite certainly the best thing the grunge movement gave the world and I'll die on that hill). The riffage, the - admittedly somewhat Alice-in-Chainesque/Cantrell-ish - hook in the chorus, Cornell screaming his head off... it's just perfect. It stays with you.

Teen Spirit is again, overplayed, overrated and honestly, even on Nevermind alone there's, like 5 better songs at least. I think Cobain himself would vote for the opposition here.

Soundgarden, duh.

Yep, it's that and it threw me off, mentally

asdf.png

(I was going by memory since I've heard the song a million times and I remember "hey, those Byron's wails in the chorus actually fit the song quite nicely")

Shit, Hensley should have taken the lead much more often.

Also, I've always found it funny that the best part of July Morning - the insane Moog solo - was done by the guest starring Manfred Mann.

Last edited:
My first exposure to "Look At Yourself" was actually the cover version from Gamma Ray's debut, which I enjoyed. The groove of the original is a little clunkier, but the chorus still works well, even though it's Queenier than I might prefer. The interludes are solid, though not particularly great, and some of the soloing devolves into directionless noise. The song also runs on a bit too long, but it's enjoyable enough overall. "Let Me Go, Rock 'N Roll" is inoffensive, largely forgettable stock rock, though it has a slightly better chorus and solid solos. The lyrics are dumb, but this is Kiss we're talking about, so that's not surprising. Sorry, @Kalata, but the list nominee is the better track here. Winner: Uriah Heep - "Look At Yourself"

"Grieve Of Heart" has appealing riffs, but I'm not thrilled about the switching back and forth between Japanese and English in the lyrics -- I'd prefer they picked one language and stuck with it. That said, the singer is strong, the vocal melodies are good, and the harmonized solo is great. Good stuff overall. "Princess Of The Dawn" has a decent riff, but the vocal melodies are so-so and I'm not a fan of the timbre of Udo's voice. The non-solos are sort of interesting in their own way, and the actual solo is decent; but this song just keeps going and going way past the point that its musical ideas would merit. A pretty easy call here for @Wogmidget's nominee. Winner: Anthem - "Grieve Of Heart"

"Desert Plains" has excellent atmosphere, capturing a big airy sound along with a driving groove that really paints the mental picture of burning through the desert on a motorcycle. The vocal lines are great, the key changes in the middle and at the end are cool, and the tradeoff solos are very good. Nice drum fills, too. Great song. "Burning Times" has good riffage, but Barlow sounds terrible as usual, and the vocal melodies (during the parts that even have melody) aren't very memorable. The weird subdued backing guitars in the middle don't work at all, but the solo is strong. The songwriting is more coherent than the typical Iseditionist Earth track, but it's also pretty straightforward and doesn't go much of anywhere. I continue to be confused by people's love for this band, since the only positive constant seems to be strong but derivative guitar work, while everything else related to the singing and songwriting is usually mediocre to bad. Sorry, @Diesel 11, but the list nominee takes this one in a walk. Winner: Judas Priest - "Desert Plains"

"Legend Of Steel" brings it early with an awesome harpsichord and flute opening. The driving riff is cool, and the more laid back harpsichord and guitar verse riff is also nice. The verse vocals come off as a bit rote and could be phrased better, but the pre-chorus is great and the chorus is pretty strong. Love the bridge, and the tradeoff guitar and violin solos that merge into a duet are fucking brilliant. That section in particular might be Turilli's finest moment. Great final vocal note, too. (I don't hear any out of key vocals here, just a tremolo like Bruce, so I'm not sure where people are getting that. Olaf Hayer isn't the world's greatest vocalist, but he's a thoroughly competent one that fits the general Yngwie singer mold, and he's infinitely better than Fabio Lione!) The dairy product is real with this song, but sometimes you just want a gigantic bowl of high end mac & cheese. Great stuff with some superb parts. "The Raven Child" has a nice atmospheric opening. Hansi sounds much better on this softer stuff than when he's belting, but I really don't care for the timbre of Sammet's voice. The heavy groove is pretty good, but did they sneak in some orchestra hits in the background? Eww. Bonus point for using harp. There are a few really nice vocal duet sections sprinkled throughout, but a lot of other ones aren't as inspired. Great solos, though. Not sure how I feel about the Oompa Loompa section, but the crescendo that follows is pretty dope. The song is pretty overblown and longer than it needs to be, and it's a little uneven, but it has a lot of strong parts. Very good overall -- but sorry, @DJMayes, that's not quite good enough to beat @JudasMyGuide's nominee this time. Winner: Luca Turilli - "Legend Of Steel"

"Barracuda" has a classic driving groove, great vocal lines, and an excellent vocal performance. I love the color work with the harmonics and ringing notes, too. Great harmonized vocal bridge, strong solo, cool extended outro. Great song. "School's Out" has a simple, OK riff. The vocal melodies are OK, but the lyrics are pretty dopey. The solo's solid, but the chorus wears out its welcome by the third time around. Not bad, but this is a very easy call for Heart. Winner: Heart - "Barracuda"

"Outshined" has a nice greasy 7/8 groove, and I like how it goes bright for the pre-chorus and bridge. The vocal melodies are merely OK despite Cornell killing it on the performance side. Kim Thayil is definitely in the running for the worst guitar soloist of any major heavy rock band (look out Kerry King!), but I've certainly heard him do worse than what he pumps out here. This is a pretty good song overall with some interesting elements, but it doesn't really captivate me. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is way overplayed and overrated, but it knows exactly what it wants to do and it does it really effectively. The verses are haunting and atmospheric, building nicely through the pre-chorus before exploding into a huge, catchy chorus. The main riff is actually pretty complicated rhythmically, which wasn't always the case with this style of music; and while the melodic lead in the middle just apes the verse melody, it fits. That final chorus hits like a ton of bricks, too. The Soundgarden song may be more interesting musically, but as a whole package the Nirvana track slays it. Winner: Nirvana - "Smells Like Teen Spirit"

an absolutely terrible Accept song
:huh:
First I thought it was an LC thing. Then I thought it was a generation thing. Then I saw @Jer 's post and now I'm inclined to think it's a DNA* thing.

*Nothing to do with genetics, heritage, or the double helix molecule, just #DeafNorthAmericans.
I've been told many times that peeps in the later hemisphere see and hear things differently and I've always refused to believe it.
Until now.

Right, Princess of the Dawn is an iconic tune.
giphy.gif

Jer, you didn’t even know who Udo was in the GMAC, I don’t think you’re the right person to speak on how iconic an Accept song is. :ninja:

Look At Yourself is interesting and entertaining. The proggy keyboard flourishes are nice. Good vocals, too. The ending is annoying in a jammy way, but otherwise I like this tune. Kiss’ 78th song about Rock N Roll is as boring and mediocre as the previous 77 and the following 102. Easy vote for Uriah Heep.

Anthem’s Japanese trad metal also does absolutely nothing for me. The music is fine, the vocals are technically fine, but incredibly unpalatable. The guitars are quite good, though. Princess of the Dawn sounds like AC/DC took one step closer to metal, but then stopped taking any steps all together. I do like the octave chord solo bit, though. Yeah, actually, this instrumental bit is enough to give my vote to Accept. The rest of the song is totally boring, but the extended solo bit has a vibe (and so does the random folk melody at the end that I wish was instrumental). Vocals here are bad.

Desert Plains benefits exceedingly from great Halford melodies and performance. The song itself is pretty average, but Halford really elevates it. It’s a bop. The second solo is nice, too. Like the instrumental in the Accept song, Desert Plains is a whole vibe. It’s good driving music. Not a top tier Priest track, but enjoyable. Burning Times, though, is a sledgehammer of awesomeness. The main riff, both crushing and harmonized, is probably Jon Schaffer’s best ever. Barlow sounds amazing, especially on those highs, and the chorus is rad. The lead guitar throughout is really great, especially the harmonized bit at the end of the solo and the little fill during the choruses. Iced Earth crushes this match like the federal government crushed Schaffer’s dreams of becoming a proud revolutionary.

I enjoy the stupid pomposity of the harpsichord intro to Legend of Steel. The melodies in the pre-chorus and chorus (with its thousand layers) are decent, but I really, really dislike Turilli’s voice. It’s got that yelping power metal cliche style that sounds forced and funny, but isn’t funny because you know how serious he is. Luca Turilli’s existence is precisely why bands like Gloryhammer are successful - because this shit is ridiculous and should be laughed at. The instrumental bridge is fantastic, Turilli’s warbling “face the king!” at the end is terrible. Speaking of pompous, here comes Tobias Sammet with a heaping wheel of brie. I love the instrumentation throughout: it’s incredibly melodic and well-crafted. Hansi sounds great, Tobias sounds lame, Jorn sounds fantastic. I love hearing Hansi outside Blind Guardian because I can actually hear him sing without 17 other Hansi’s. The Raven Child is way too bloated, but it’s enjoyable all the way through and Jorn sounds like he’s conjuring the soul of Dio on the double time bit at the end (even though Tobias keeps trying to ruin it). Even the chanting works, despite sounding like someone pouring melted cheese on top of a brick of cheese. Avantasia with a pretty easy win here.

Barracuda kicks ass from the go, with great riffs, cool melodic choices, and an amazing vocal performance. What a classic! I love that the outro lead guitar is more of a texture than a solo. It’s a very bold choice considering they could’ve gone full blown rock solo. Also, fucking class ending. School’s Out is another early hard rock gem with a rollicking, iconic blues riff and fantastic marching beat chorus. I’ve got nothing against Alice, but I think he’s outclassed here by Heart.

Some notes on the final match:
  • Soundgarden have a real singer.
  • Outshined is actually metal as hell.
  • Soundgarden have a really good singer.
  • Outshined plays with minor and major tonalities while still sounding absolutely dark and creepy.
  • Soundgarden have a guitarist who can actually play guitar.
  • Outshined manages to utilize the “guitar plays the vocal melody” trick and actually sound good.
  • Soundgarden have literally one of the best singers in rock history.

Back