The Greatest Metal Song Cup - Part II, Round 4, Matches 46-51

What is your favourite song in each match? Vote in all six matchups!

• ----------------------------

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
@LooseCannon Save jer’s post above, I don’t get notifications for this thread anymore last time even I had nominated a song I didn’t get anything.

Haven’t changed any settings or something

Uriah Heep's song is not bad, but my nominee, Let Me Go, Rock 'N' Roll is one of the best rock songs imo. Like most of the early songs of Kiss, it's better live, but I can't nominate live versions. Riffs and the solo are peak rock stuff.
This Anthem song is very good and catchy, but against Accept's Princess Of The Dawn, no contest. Essential riffs.
Priest's Desert Plains has a better chorus and is one of their gems imo.
The Avantasia song is as always solid and interesting (great vocals and chorus), but Legend Of Steel is my favorite song from Luca Turilli. Melodies and chorus are so good.
School's Out is fun, but the groove of Heart's Barracuda wins it for me.

@LooseCannon Save jer’s post above, I don’t get notifications for this thread anymore last time even I had nominated a song I didn’t get anything.

Haven’t changed any settings or something
I’ve noticed that certain threads stop notifying me if I don’t check it soon enough? Like if a bunch of pages go by before I get to it automatically shuts the notifications off?

Not sure if that’s a thing, but I swear it’s happened to me.

Uriah Heep - Look at Yourself vs. KISS - Let Me Go, Rock N Roll
Never heard the Heep track before, it's alright, a bit jammy, kind of like a worse version of Purple's Pictures of Home. Let Me Go, Rock N Roll benefits from me being only familiar with the version from Alive! which is much better Let Me Go, Rock N Roll

Anthem - Grieve of Heart vs. Accept - Princess of the Dawn

I never heard of Anthem before, and luckily I googled them first, as I was going to make a comment about it sounding a bit like that song "let's go fighting love" from South Park, which would come across as racist, but I didn't know they were japanese when that first impression was formed, so I think it's ok to mention it. The track sounds great, if a little generic. Never heard Princess of the Dawn, I only have a compilation of the first 3 albums and it's not on it. Pretty good Princess of the Dawn

Judas Priest - Desert Plains vs. Iced Earth - Burning Times

Iced Earth with a solid enough track, is that a sample of the For Whom the Bell Tolls bell? Not getting anywhere near Desert Plains though Desert Plains

Luca Turilli - Legend of Steel vs. Avantasia - The Raven Child

Standard Power Metal from Turilli, Avantasia a good bit stronger. The Raven Child

Heart - Barracuda vs. Alice Cooper - School's Out

Both classic tracks, School's Out is better though School's Out

Soundgarden - Outshined vs. Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit

Grunge happened as I was discovering music, so I had Nevermind at the time, but it didn't take too long for me to discover it wasn't for me. Smells Like Teen Spirit is a proper hit though, wouldn't particularly want to listen to it, but it should be obvious why this broke them. Outshined decent enough but suffers from the fact when I hear the riff I hear the melody for "I am the Dog, the big bad Dog" Smells Like Teen Spirit

I’ve noticed that certain threads stop notifying me if I don’t check it soon enough? Like if a bunch of pages go by before I get to it automatically shuts the notifications off?

The notifications stop if I don’t open the thread immediately.

Always nice to hear some more old-school Uriah Heep. Very enjoyable, and certainly more to my liking than another pedestrian KISS song.

The Anthem song was alright, I suppose. Not bad, not that exciting either. "Princess of the Dawn" is more than alright, it's really, really good; I absolutely love the sinister vibe and all the small, melodic bits and pieces. And I'm certain Gamma Ray must have been very inspired by this when they did "Empress". Easy vote for Accept.

When I decided on which Iced Earth song to nominate for the cup, I must admit that "Burning Times" was never really up for consideration. I've alway felt its chorus was a bit of a letdown; however, that riff is just so iconic and heavy, and Barlow sounds amazing on the verses. Not the perfect Iced Earth tune, but still better than an average Judas Priest pick.

I thought "Legend of Steel" was quite good. It certainly entertained me more than "The Raven Child" (in about half the time, too), which also had some decent parts, but honestly, I lost interest about halfway through. Luca Turilli wins this one.

Two classic songs in the next match. "Barracuda" is a weird one, though the vocals are great. "School's Out" is just good fun all the way through, so Alice Cooper gets my vote.

And finally, we have two bands that I've always felt were a very overrated. Soundgarden never did anything at all for me, while I admit that "Smells Like Teen Spirit" played just a tiny part in my musical upbringing, so... Nirvana it is.

Definitely I’ve noticed that many times, but if one is notified by @ it shouldn’t happen.

Okay, I'm going back on what I said about not being interested in Rhapsody, War of Steel is right up my alley. The Raven Child was too epic though, had to vote for it here.

Quick write-up for me this time.

1. Uriah Heep by default because I will not vote for Kiss.
2. Most interesting match because neither of these is bad. Went with Accept.
3. The Priest song wasn't bad but Burning Times is one of Iced Earth's best "rockers."
4. Luca's song was so hilariously Zelda, but Avantasia's crushes it.
5. Heart because they simply have the better tune here. I've always loved Barracuda.
6. I won't deny the catchiness of the chorus, but Nirvana is one of the most overrated bands of all time. Easy vote for Soundgarden.

Uriah Heep.

Anthem was alright, but “Princess of the Dawn” was actually even better than I remembered. Great pacing, awesome instrumental, Udo’s* vocals are simple but effective. LC must’ve listened to the wrong song cuz this shit is fire. Accept.

“Desert Plains” is good but never reaches the peak it attempts to scale. I didn’t have to think twice about including “Burning Times”, it’s the song that got me into Iced Earth and still my favorite. Barlow’s vocals are amazing and I’d like to hear Jer try to sing those high notes. Better yet, the even higher ones on Alive in Athens.

Luca brought a pistol to a tank fight. Why would I vote for “basically any power metal song ever” when “The Raven Child” is so much more interesting on every level? Possibly the best Avantasia song so far and Hansi, albeit not present in heavy doses, is my pick for the best of the three vocalists. Goes a little off the rails towards the end but there are so many great moment throughout.

“School’s Out” is good but Heart crush it. “Barracuda” is basically sonic perfection from beginning to end.

I won’t deny that some transitions are clunky but “Outshined” is awesome. Crank it and feel the rhythm of the guitar shake your whole body. That’s the second time LC has had a bad take this round. “Teen Spirit” is a classic but this is an easy vote for Soundgarden.

*Also I retract the Udo comment, which was anyway written in jest, upon empirical analysis. My memory is trash apparently and I’m going to need to upload what’s left into the Cloud before it’s too late.

Match 259 - Uriah Heep
First five albums from Uriah Heep are so criminally underrated that the whole humanity should be put on trial by "Q" or some other entity. I don't find it fair for a band that whips out five consecutive albums with that level of musicianship in just two years (!!!) to be called "poor man's Deep Purple" 50 years later.

Match 260 - Accept
I didn't expect much from Accept. TBH Anthem's song sounded better on the first listen. On the second listen, I realized it didn't had that much to offer while Accept's had some repeatability factor.

Match 261 - Iced Earth
Desert Plains is "just another" song from "just another" album AKA nothing special. Burning Times is a great opener from (probably) best Iced Earth album.

Match 262 - Avantasia
Can Tobias Sammet write a good song that is under 11 minutes? Nothing wrong with this one, or his previous entry in GMSC (The Scarecrow), but does it really need to be 11 minutes? Even then, it's much better than Manowar on speed.

Match 263 - Heart
School's Out is a fun little kids song (and even I whistle it every July) but I expect Heart to do much better in a matchup on a forum from a band that is known for their galloping riffs.

Match 264 - Soundgarden
List of artists I like more than Nirvana (in no particular order):
  • U2
  • Limp Bizkit
  • Taylor Swift
  • The National
  • Eminem
  • Robbie Williams
  • Scooter
  • William Shatner
(I'm not naming them all, I'm saving something when we encounter Nirvana again).

Back