The Greatest Metal Song Cup - Part II, Round 4, Matches 46-51

What is your favourite song in each match? Vote in all six matchups!

• ----------------------------

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
UFO, I guess.

-----

I'm a simple man; like I said, Twilight of the Gods is really good and I've more or less come around regarding black metal in general, but if you make me compare that and Turilli, I will vote for Turilli. I don't make the rules.

-----

That Schenker track has better guitar (duh), but Long Way is probably the better song of the two. Besides, Schenker is very overrated. That said, for the instrumental part alone, I'm giving this vote to Assault Attack.

-----

Lita Ford is another legend I've never been able to get into. Maybe because I'm not Iommi :ninja: So, you know, I've had my choice made beforeh---... oh, wait, I have never seen the video. What? Music? It's a music video? Oh, right. Music. We're talking about music. Not about the... other assets. Get it together, Judas, you dirty old cunt.
ANYWAY, there's a bit of a discrepancy here, since Lita sounds ... well, she sounds really kinda underage - maybe it's just the way she tries to sing the low notes; that has a bit of a teenage aura there - which certainly does not fit well with all the writhing and with the fact you could mishear the chorus as "kiss me Daddy", but as a whole it also kinda reminds me of ... Paramore? Really? I mean.... kinda... Not that that's a bad thing, I mean, I know you never meant to brag, but you got me where you want me now... what? Oh, music. Right. This is not metal. And for the hundredth time, I don't really care, it's forgettable, but kinda nice. A nice bit of 80s nostalgia.

Nightmare is - as of this date - still the only A7X song I genuinely like, the intro, the riff, the Portnoy. Sure, it fellates Metallica so hard you could actually see Hetfield's cock sticking out of M. Shadows' throat, but you say that like that's a bad thing, you plagiophobe. Still, the basic essence of the band is being annoying - just look at their stage names - so I'm only kinda halfway there, myself.

I'm really torn, I mean, dirty old men will be dirty old men, so I guess I'm going with Lita here and be her Daddy, oh deadly, yeah, right, I'll be her deadly.

-----

I'm kinda worried that this is an uphill battle - Black Hole Sun is a radio staple and it probably justly reminds people of 1994, Superunknown, California, Blind Melon and heroin, but honestly, even without nominator's bias, I'd still vote for Swallow the Sun - not just am I currently 100% in the mood for some doomy dooms of doom, but the wistful atmosphere gets me every time. It wasn't among the first songs off the album that captivated me, but soon it became my dark horse of the record (somewhat akin to The Leper Affinity on BWP).
Also, like I said, the song being metal is not that important to me, but this is some prime-dog's-bollocks metal (oh, the tasty drumming!) over an okayish 90's alt-rock ballad. I like Soundgarden quite a lot, actually, but this is really no contest for me.

-----

I'd be really inclined to go with the boomer choice here, but Priest's win is almost a given, so I'll give the vote to early Death - although I realise more and more that Schuldiner must be among my least favourite growlers in general, and not just the tortured shrieks on Perseverance, but also this dudebro-(lad-bloke?)-style regurgitating here. And hey, I'm fine with harsh vocals. But here for once, I'm gonna have to agree with Dustman Jer. Still voting for the song, it's awesome otherwise. And what kind of title is "Hell Bent for Leather" anyway? I feel way too kinky saying that out loud! And I've already said how I feel about old, kinky men. Now, "Choke on It", that's a nice, clean title that you can safely say without the risk of being misunderstood. Schuldiner was such a nice, proper lad, indeed!

I didn't think anyone would vote for Rhapsody against a legendary Bathory track but there you go. And I'm afraid there will be more.
I have every intentions of voting for that incredible Bathory track, just so you know. I have to listen to Choke on It again to make my decision but HBFL is a Priest song I consider very average.

Lights Out is pure class (big classic, Maiden knows; playing, tempo, solo!), but the energy of Riff Raff's riffs is just so good.
Bathory's Twilight Of The Gods has an epic mood, musical structure and ending solo (reminds me of Manowar), but Rhapsody's Reign Of Terror is more effective and brings the vibe with speed, power metal playing and choir vocals. Not a fan of both tbh, the vocals. What I like in the moment, it is.
Long Way To The Top is a good AC/DC song, but MSG's Assault Attack is classic old-school metal with a Rainbow vibe.
A7's Nightmare is very solid. While not one of my top favorite catchy songs, glam metal for the win.
Hell Bent For Leather, super easy.

“Lights Out” is one of those songs that’s kinda fun but unless you’re Steve Harris there’s no reason to return to it all that often, maybe once a year, and when you do all you can think of is how silly but catchy “Lights OUT… lights OUT in Lon-DON” is and then you forget about anything else because the rest of the song, you hate to admit, is unmemorable. But it’s an easy vote for UFO (who have the Steve Harris Metal Pass) over AC/DC who bring to the table a song that isn’t metal at all and is even less memorable.

Black metal > power metal (sometimes).

Bagpipes > who gives a shit.

Tempted to vote for Lita Ford but “Close My Eyes Forever” is an even better song AND features Ozzy Osbourne in one of my favorite performances of him. It’s not exactly a metal song, but “Kiss Me Deadly” is even less of a metal song and frankly its inclusion is another case where Rolling Stone didn’t know what they were doing. It’s not even one of the best hair metal songs, man. Her voice is great though. “Nightmare” isn’t one of A7X’s best songs but they have the Diesel Metal Cred stamp, even if Metal Archives refuses to give it to them. Shoutout to Rebecca from high school, I talked a lot of shit back in 10th grade and now I actually like Avenged Sevenfold. My bad, yo.

The extreme battalion must stick together against the odds, so that’s a vote for Swallow the Sun. Love the Soundgarden track though, it just isn’t as metal as some of their other songs.

“Hell Bent for Leather” is awesome, love the chorus, but again, we must stand united for the sake of extreme metal within the game. Death.

Lights Out is pure class. Riff Riff is meh.

Bathory have an absolutely killer, epic track that exemplifies how good black metal can be (as incredibly rare as it may be). Rhapsody of Fire's song kind of exemplifies the things I dislike the most in power metal.

I'm of AC/DC so I'll give it to MSG, even if I don't think the song is very good.

I'd rather look at Lita Ford sing a pop song than listen to M. Shadows shred his disgusting voice all over a song that not even Mike Portnoy can save.

I absolutely love Soundgarden and I think they have a few songs that would be worthy competitors here, but Black Hole Sun is not one of them. Swallow The Sun win this round for just being such heavy sadbois.

Eh, I still just can't get into Death. Priest.

Back