The Great Unknown

How good is The Great Unknown on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
I like the intro being reprised, it's just the transition that's a little sloppy. Otherwise, I really enjoy this track. It has some of the best lyrics on the album in my opinion.

One of the best? Seriously?

I appreciate the music, but I really have some trouble with liking Bruce's constant -non-stop really-, high and strained voice in not only the verses, but also pre-choruses and choruses!

It doesn't sound nice to me and I find it too much. 1 + 1 = 2.
tumblr_inline_nj3pk1QDGl1sjvw3v.gif

I also think it's one of the best. Bruce doesn't sound too bad on it to my ears (and I'm normally inwardly quite critical of strainy Bruce!).

There's not more than a handful songs in the entire catalogue where I have "problems" with the sound (and use of) his voice. So I am normally not that critical.

Face in the Sand... a decent enough song ruined there. Kind of wish they'd given him a few more takes of These Colours Don't Run too... Ach well. Even heroes get old.

The Talisman
The Talisman
The Talisman
The Great Unknown
Where the River Runs Deep

(the end of Chains of Misery is also difficult)

I can stand it better. Or tolerate it, perhaps because I like the rest of the song a lot.

In The Great Unknown it goes on much longer (80 percent of the lyrics or so).

edit: In River it's especially the beginning, but I dislike other aspects of the song (so that's why I mentioned it).

Last edited:
It has to be just a taste thing.
I hear what you are talking about, but it doesn't bother me here; it still sounds musical.
The Mother of Mercy chorus on the other hand...

^As above. I didn't find Bruce's voice overly strained in any of this album, certainly nothing compared to the Mother of Mercy chorus or (much as I like) The Talisman

And Bruce does not sound bored during this album. I mean that even his quiet parts are quite fun to listen too.

I am starting to like this one. It sort of managed to sneak below the radar on the first few listens (being between the single and the Long Harris Centerpiece of Disc 1), but it really does rock.

I see where Forostar's coming from when he discusses the vocals here, but it doesn't bother me either. There are quite a few songs in Maiden's career where the vocals are less pleasant to me. The majority from a couple of albums from the early 90s :p

Last edited:
Foro's got a legit point on the non-stop vocals. I've had the same thought, and agree it's the song's biggest weakness. But, I think it works better here than Talisman or Mother of Mercy.

Still my favorite on the Record. The Verses and Chorus just smash !
But the abprupt ending kinda feels bad

Back