The Great Unknown

Discussion in 'The Book of Souls' started by SinisterMinisterX, Aug 22, 2015.

?

How good is The Great Unknown on a scale of 1-10?

1. 10

9.7%
  2. 9

25.8%
  3. 8

35.5%
  4. 7

19.4%
  5. 6

8.1%
  6. 5

1.6%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bornless1

bornless1 Messiah Supreme. True Leader of Men.

8. Pushing 9. Very strong piece, Bruce is powerful through out, I wish it had another verse, but overall the length of the song is fine. Don’t mind the abrupt ending as much as some. I was elated that it found its way into the set list, and it didn’t disappoint.
    Third favorite song on BOS. Dark brooding song that fits the theme of BOS perfectly. It’s always reminded me a bit of the Mother of Mercy of this album: in that it’s a little under appreciated. Gets regular listens in rotation.

KidInTheDark666 likes this.
  2. bornless1

bornless1 Messiah Supreme. True Leader of Men.

Side note: the way in which Bruce handles this chorus is exquisite. The “never eeeend-ing” line just hits me in the pit of my soul every time. Then jumping back up up up with the deSIREs of men”... what a wild ride Bruce takes us on. Absolutely brilliant..

KidInTheDark666 likes this.
  3. chaosapiant

chaosapiant Ancient Marinade

Between an 8 and 9 for me, I gave it an 8. One of my fears going into this album, post cancer announcement, was Bruce's voice. He sounded godlike on AMOLAD, but with the exception of a few moments he sounded more bored/tired/strained on TFF. When this song kicked in my first thought was "holy fuckballs Bruce ain't playing around here." His vocals are constantly grabbing you by the throat and that riff just locks in and is a real headbanger. I like the sudden ending too. Better to be left wanting more than waiting for it to end.