THE FUTURE PAST TOUR - The Setlist Contest! WINNERS: blackie2380, MrKnickerbocker & Collin

Edit: By the way, where are we getting that Hell on Earth is definitely going to be in? Is there a quote from a band member talking about playing it or something in a teaser (not a cryptic clue from the poster please)? I see it as the least likely of those three Harris epics to get played, although I really want to hear all three. Gives me big Thin Line Between Love and Hate vibes unfortunately.

When Senjustu LP was out, there was a Comment by IM in the Official IM YouTube Channel that "this song receives lots of love" as the views for HoE were double than anything else except tWotW.

This comment is now gone in the site but not in our collective memory ;)

Not a set list per day but I do think we will 100% get 5 songs from Senjutsu and 5 from Somewhere in time. It’s too obvious from the announcement video so these are my predictions from both albums:

Days of future past
Hell on Earth
The writing on the wall
The parchment
Stratego

Stranger in a strange land
Wasted years
Sea of madness
Heaven can wait
Alexander the Great

Then they’ll be 5 more tracks bringing the total to 15 and these will be the usual suspects:

Fear of the dark
The trooper
Iron maiden
2 minutes to midnight
The number of the beast

I hope they will play 4 songs from SIT and maybe 6 from Senjutsu. I don't think they will play CSIT, too demanding for Nicko and Bruce.
Indeed!
1. Senjutsu (Walking Samurai Eddie)
2. The Days Of Future Past
3. The Writing On The Wall
4. Heaven Can Wait
5. The Parchment
6. The Trooper
7. The Time Machine
8. Stranger In A Strange Land (walking Cyborg Eddie)
9. Hell On Earth
10. The Number Of The Beast
11. Fear Of The Dark
12. Iron Maiden

13. Alexander The Great
14. Hallowed Be Thy Name
15. Wasted Years
Really well balanced setlist (lacks stuff from Powerslave but what the hell). I hope they go with something like this and as you pointed out don't try to walk waters too deep for their actual form.

A big question to me is whether they want to keep the SiT part and the Senjutsu part separate. Personally, I don't think it's worth it, but perhaps they are happy with the idea of "worlds" within a set, which allows for more elaborate theatrics, I guess. If they decide to do this kind of division, then the setlist is a bit more predictable IMO. In any case, I think they will want to start with big emphasis on SiT stuff.

I expect them to tour a lot of places they've just visited in 2022 and this makes me think a lot of the classics are going to be dropped for this run. I won't be shocked if they drop TNotB, Trooper and Hallowed.

Sure why not, this is a setlist I would be reasonably happy with as well as one that I think is realistically possible.

1. Blade Runner into Caught Somewhere In Time
2. Sea of Madness
3. Days of Future Past
4. The Writing on the Wall
5. The Time Machine
6. Phantom of the Opera
7. Heaven Can Wait
8. Children of the Damned
9. Stranger in a Strange Land
10. The Parchment
11. Fear of the Dark
12. Iron Maiden
——————————————
13. The Number of the Beast
14. Hallowed Be Thy Name
15. Wasted Years

A couple thoughts I had as I was making this. Going over the possible song selection and trying to work in “plus other other classic cuts” has me convinced of a few things. For one, not playing Alexander the Great doesn’t seem that outrageous with this setlist. You have two songs that haven’t been played since the 80s, one that hasn’t been played since 1999, and a bunch of debuts of new songs. That should be enough to make any reasonable person happy. I am also struggling to see them doing five songs per album. Right now I have 5 from Somewhere in Time and 4 from Senjutsu, I could easily go the other way though and swap Sea of Madness for either Stratego or another unplayed song. Not sure which is more likely, this set seems light on Senjutsu stuff but also keep in mind three of those songs are past 7 minutes. I think you’re going to get two songs from neither album sprinkled in, Phantom and Children of the Damned seem like two go to’s for classics that don’t get played every tour.

Edit: By the way, where are we getting that Hell on Earth is definitely going to be in? Is there a quote from a band member talking about playing it or something in a teaser (not a cryptic clue from the poster please)? I see it as the least likely of those three Harris epics to get played, although I really want to hear all three. Gives me big Thin Line Between Love and Hate vibes unfortunately.
This works well. I absolutely agree with the last three, and although Wasted Years feels like a bit of a cop out, seeing as they've played it in recent times, it's an easy win that they can handle, and it works well as a closing song.

I'm very sceptical about The Parchment, though. Much as I'd love to hear this one live, I find it the least likely to be played of all the Senjutsu songs, even less likely than Darkest Hour (unless Bruce really stamps his foot and wants some 'me' time). Time Machine, absolutely. But I'd expect Hell On Earth or even Celts ahead of Parchment, for some serious Steve self-indulgence.

Also a set without Trooper is a bit daring. I'd be surprised at both Phantom and COTD.

and although Wasted Years feels like a bit of a cop out, seeing as they've played it in recent times, it's an easy win that they can handle, and it works well as a closing song.

Also a set without Trooper is a bit daring.
Wasted Years is a mandatory song for a (sort of) SIT themed tour.

I agree about Trooper, but then again they dropped it (along with The Number Of The Beast) in 2006 and in 2010.
A big question to me is whether they want to keep the SiT part and the Senjutsu part separate. Personally, I don't think it's worth it, but perhaps they are happy with the idea of "worlds" within a set, which allows for more elaborate theatrics, I guess. If they decide to do this kind of division, then the setlist is a bit more predictable IMO. In any case, I think they will want to start with big emphasis on SiT stuff.

I expect them to tour a lot of places they've just visited in 2022 and this makes me think a lot of the classics are going to be dropped for this run. I won't be shocked if they drop TNotB, Trooper and Hallowed.
I don't think there will be ''worlds'' since they have to use the Japanese Palace stage again and Steve said they won't. The stage will be a modern SIT version. Also, I don't think they will start with big emphasis on SIT, maybe only the opening song, but this is still the album tour so I expect the first 3 songs to be one from Senjutsu, one from SIT and one old classic.

Edit: they can still use ''worlds'' with one futuristic stage though - they just need to come up with a similar backdrop to the Cathedral realm for LOTB tour for Senjutsu. Camouflage or something.

And I don't think they will drop more than one of the big classics.

Last edited:
I don't think there will be ''worlds'' since they have to use the Japanese Palace stage again and Steve said they won't. Also, I don't think they will start with big emphasis on SIT, maybe only the opening song, but this is still the album tour so I expect the first 3 songs to be one from Senjutsu, one from SIT and one old classic.
They might play around with past, future, and present, though ;)

I think one must take this with a grain of salt. A good example is the 2018 European leg of the LOTB tour poster. While some of the easter eggs where really cryptic others were blatant and those songs were never played. And there were some tracks that were indeed part of the setlist that I can't spot.

View attachment 22836

7) A blacksmith? This one gets me puzzled. There are so many songs about swords and medieval battles...
--
13) This fetus really resembles the one in SSOASS crystal ball and for me this is a blatant reference to Moonchild (not played).
--
17) A snake's eye? Easy: Be Quick Or Be Dead (not played).
--
24) I know it resembles more a mosquito but IMO this one's for Lord Of The Flies (not played).

So at least seven songs that weren't played but are represented in the poster. Plus I can't spot The Wicker Man, For The Greater Good Of God and Aces High, Run To The Hills and The Evil That Men do are far fetched interpretations of some motives.

7 = "living on a razor's edge" - a bit funny one, yeah. But that's The Evil That Men Do

13 = 2 Minutes to Midnight ("--to kill the unborn in the womb") - I first thought it was about Moonchild, though.

17 = The Eye of the Nile? So Revelations

24 = Where Eagles Dare, due to Rod thinking the planes in the movie were "mosquitos"

But yeah, sure, a lot of the references weren't quite as straightforward and, for example, there was zero SIT coverage in the end, but to be fair, you were able to figure out major part of the final set out relatively easily, at least with one or two lucky guesses. So in the end, it was rather helpful. Also, there's "a wolf in sheep's clothing" there as well, so For the Greater Good of God was referenced. ;)

But yeah, I can see where you're coming from, although I think that the LOTB poster was very revealing indeed; looking at how many songs most people guessed right in the previous Setlist contest seems to support that! :D

a lot of people wrote Days of Future Past as the opener, so I simulate it many times in my system as an opener (after an atmospheric intro), it really doesn't work as a show opener. it has a slow burning intro which may cause some "hey-hey"s from the audience (just like senjutsu) but that's all, after that comes a faster riff but still not that upbeat and then comes a slowish-midtempoish vocal verse (so slow, bruce can't jump to it :) )
and if it was a potential show opener then they would choose it as the album opener like they did with every post-reunion album (wickerman-wildestdreams-differentworld-finalfrontier-ifeternity).
it would be a letdown if they will choose it as an opener, because that would also mean they will not play CSiT in the rest of the gig.
so CSiT is a "must" for the sake of the show and the fan service.
A message to Mr. Harris :)

Last edited:
from Senjutsu
1.Days of future past
2.Hell on earth
3.Time machine
4.Writting on the wall
5.Death of the celts
from CST
1.caught somewhere in time
2.heaven can wait
3.stranger in a strange land
4.wasted years
5. Alexander the great
other songs
1.Iron maiden
2.number of the beast
3.Fear of the dark
4.the trooper
5.Only the good die young

A friendly reminder:

To help the scoring and for the sake of a reader-friendly thread altogether, please see the rules & scoring from the first post before submitting your setlists! :) Of course, you can post setlist wishes/guesses and speculate without taking the contest itself so seriously.

Cheers!

I simulate it many times in my system as an opener (after an atmospheric intro), it really doesn't work as a show opener
I agree. To be fair I don't think it's a complete failure as an opener and if it comes to fruition It won't bother me. But taking in account the Senjutsu tracks I think Stratego is the one that works better as an opener (not totally fit for it but very energetic and epic).

CSiT is a "must" for the sake of the show and the fan service.
Yes it would be without shadow of doubt the right track to open the show. Thre's only one problem: the only way I'm seeing it being decently played is if they do two things a) tune down (at least in Eb) otherwise there are sections where Bruce simply won't be able to hit some notes and b) slowing it down several BPM's because if Nicko admitted he struggled playing Stratego then Caught Somewhere In Time (that by the way happens to be one of my favorite Maiden tracks) is virtually impossible to nail. And if I really don't mind Maiden tune in Eb or even D, listening to a near doom metal version of CSIT (if they slowed down Aces High I imagine what they'll do here) is something I'd pass.

Last edited:
Ip osted my setlist in various other topics on this very website but this is the one I'm rooting for the most. Here goes:

1. Doctor Dcotor (intro from tape)
  2. Caught Somewhere in Time
  3. Days of Future Past
  4. Futureal
  5. The Time Machine
  6. Stranger in a Strange Land
  7. The Trooper
  8. Heaven Can Wait
  9. The Number of the Beast
  10. The Parchment
  11. Fear of the Dark
  12. Iron Maiden
Encore
  1. Alexander the Great
  2. Hell on Earth
  3. Hallowed Be Thy Name
  4. Stratego
Encore 2
  1. Wasted Years
I've taken various things into consideration making this setlist. First of all I used 5 Somewhere in Time songs and 5 Senjutsu songs as the teaser trailer has shown us and many of us believe means we'll get 5 songs from both albums.

The most obvious choices from Somewhere in Time were Heaven Can Wait and Wasted Years because we already saw those in 2008 and they are probably the most popular songs from the Somewhere in Time album. Then I added Caught Somewhere in Time because I don't see any chance they would want to miss that song. It is the opening track of the album after all. Stranger in a Strange Land was in the teaser trailer so we're almost guaranteed to get that one. And finally, Alexander the Great. What can I say? It's now or never. This is THE tour to play that song!

For the Senjutsu songs, I chose Days of Future Past because it is literally in the name of the tour and it is a great and powerful song to add at the beginning of the set list. Steve also said that they will no longer open the tour with Senjutsu, Stratego or Writing on the Wall so Days of Future Past is a good replacement in my opinion. The Time Machine is thematically a great song. I can already see Janick doing his dance to the guitar part in between! Then for the epics; I had a tough choice between Darkest Hour, The Parchment and Death of the Celts. Hell on Earth was already a given because I think this is the favorite epic of this album for many fans, and Maiden knows it. I ended up choosing The Parchment because I think it's the most atmospheric song and has some great solos in it that audiences are sure to appreciate. I ended up adding Sratego over Writing on the Wall because I feel Maiden likes that song a little more than Writing on the Wall since they gave us a video from the LotB tour of that song.

Furthermore I included songs like The Trooper, Number of the Beast, Fear of the Dark, Hallowed Be Thy Name and Iron Maiden because it's hard to imagine a Maiden show without these songs nowadays. So I think we'll definitely see these.

Lastly I added Futureal because I think it really fits the theme of the whole tour. It's kind of a fast song that divides the intro from the second half of the tour real good. I compare it to 2 Minutes to Midnight on the LotB tour in 2018/ 2019 in that sense.

I'll use the 2007 setlist as the basis for my prediction (AMOLAD and Number of the Beast) but I'm switching places between the new songs and the classics:
I'd like to make a small change to my prediction. I can't exclude Futureal. I'll remove 2MTM!
  1. "Caught Somewhere in Time"
  2. "Wasted Years"
  3. "Heaven Can Wait"
  4. "The Writing on the Wall"
  5. "Days of Future Past"
  6. "Futureal"
  7. "The Parchment"
  8. "Hell on Earth"
  9. "Stranger in a Strange Land"
  10. "The Evil That Men Do"
  11. "Fear of the Dark"
  12. "Iron Maiden"