The Future Past Tour 2024

A little change in the setlist could be realistic. They could skip DOTC for The Parchment and The Time Machine for Lost In A Lost World... The 3 other songs from Senjutsu will remain.

A little change in the setlist could be realistic. They could skip DOTC for The Parchment and The Time Machine for Lost In A Lost World... The 3 other songs from Senjutsu will remain.

Huh? The Time Machine is somewhat essential with the concept of the tour and it also shares a backdrop (with an obvious Somewhere in Time link) with Days of Future Past and is quite a smooth live song that was talked about as a live piece around the album release as well, so I don't think it's realistic at all.

As for The Parchment - Celts discussion, I think Celts is not going anywhere; I doubt they made the decision in favour of Celts and produced a backdrop and all for it just to be used for one single summer leg.

I
Huh? The Time Machine is somewhat essential with the concept of the tour and it also shares a backdrop (with an obvious Somewhere in Time link) with Days of Future Past and is quite a smooth live song that was talked about as a live piece around the album release as well, so I don't think it's realistic at all.

As for The Parchment - Celts discussion, I think Celts is not going anywhere; I doubt they made the decision in favour of Celts and produced a backdrop and all for it just to be used for one single summer leg.
That's the thing. All the other Senjutsu songs would go down verry well for sure. Especially Darkest Hour, I think. Also Stratego should come back for downunder and Japan. However, I don't see what can be dropped?
Maybe for a short leg in Europe 2025 they change Senjutsu songs and present a new song for example.

Once again the Senjutsu stage set? Would be great to mix up the things a bit, especially for Japan. People haven't seen Senjutsu, Stratego and the japanese temple there. But probably overinterpretation.
Let's share Maiden's teaser:

We had Samurai Eddie in the futuristic world for the 1st leg, now we have Cyborg Eddie in Ancient Japan. Really cool graphics! I love such videos.

Watching the video I also thought the same - that they could use (even a different) SJ stage again. We can see ''Senjutsu'' & ''Stratego'' flags, SJ Eddie is upfront in the new tour poster... 1 leg is future and the 2nd leg is past, but there's no way they would fit the LED screens (the most important feature for the tour!) with the Japanese temple stage. I think they just wanted to make a contrast trailer given the tour's theme.
Another thing, if they change the stage set, Bruce has to use a different costume, which won't happen.

Here are some screenshots:

Attachments

• sit eddie.png
    sit eddie.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • im 24.png
    im 24.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • castles.png
    castles.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
The Time Machine is somewhat essential with the concept of the tour and it also shares a backdrop (with an obvious Somewhere in Time link) with Days of Future Past and is quite a smooth live song that was talked about as a live piece around the album release as well, so I don't think it's realistic at all.
I agree.
They did the same with Tears Of A Clown, and it also had a noticeable backdrop. I think Parchment has its chances, however slim. They won't use a different stage set, but Senjutsu or Stratego could have a chance to return, although it's not very likely - unless they drop Time Machine (great live song with an essential theme for the tour), Days Of Future Past (the name of the tour) or Celts (it would be changed only for another epic imo).
The changes will be saved for a potential 3rd leg, unfortunately.
That's the thing. All the other Senjutsu songs would go down verry well for sure.
Yes. But I'm really curious to hear how Parchment would be live.

They did the same with Tears Of A Clown, and it also had a noticeable backdrop. I think Parchment has its chances, however slim. They won't use a different stage set, but Senjutsu or Stratego could have a chance to return, although it's not very likely - unless they drop Time Machine (great live song with an essential theme for the tour), Days Of Future Past (the name of the tour) or Celts (it would be changed only for another epic imo).

That's fair enough! However, I'd point out that the 2024 leg seems to aim for markets & areas they haven't played this year at all and given all the other activities Bruce and Steve are up to next year, I just don't really see any reason for them to make an effort to change anything at all for next year. Not saying it's impossible, but I just don't see any reason for them to do so. And that's fair enough, it's a fantastic set and while I personally love The Parchment, I have my theories why they'll probably stick with Death of the Celts and why it was probably chosen in the first place. Of course, I've got no facts, just speculating.

2025 is another story, if it's part of the Future Past tour in the first place, but given how all of their major markets seem to get a show between 2023 & 2024, the 2025 might very well see a totally new thing... or not, but hey, that just makes this speculation fun (and fruitless for the time being, but fun in any case). :D

That's the thing. All the other Senjutsu songs would go down verry well for sure. Especially Darkest Hour, I think. Also Stratego should come back for downunder and Japan. However, I don't see what can be dropped?

Sure they would, at least for us who genuinely love the album, but... where's the reason for rehearsing cuts like Darkest Hour that don't really fit this set thematically and even if it didn't matter at all, I think you nailed it with "don't see what can be dropped" - exactly! With the 5-5 concept they're going with, I don't think there's a single song on these two albums that make the bulk of the set that can be logically replaced at this point. Alright, Days of Future Past and Death of the Celts technically have very logical substitutes in the form of Stratego & The Parchment, but again, there's a lot of reasons why that wouldn't make much sense and doesn't seem very realistic.

Altogether, I think this setlist is a fantastic one and I'm actually quite happy when there's most likely no changes to it for next year; I'm sure a lot of fans will enjoy it, especially those who really liked Senjutsu as well. :)

Last edited:

I bet they’ll play exactly the same setlist, following exactly the same script (Bruce’s incoherent ramblings included). On the one hand, they are playing in places they did not visit in 2023; on the other, Maiden are particularly lazy when it comes to setlist changes within the same tour.

Well, SNJ is better than half of the 80's albums, so I couldn't care less about nostalgia tours, especially after 3 years of LOTB. :D

If people want to listen to Run To The Hills there are like a million live albums. I want surprises and unique choices, not the same old we've been hearing for literal decades.

But I agree and I don't like "Virtual XI" very much.

It's just a call but… They don't play Wrathchild since 2007 :innocent:
I love the song, but please no (for Running Free and Sanctuary too). Maybe for a different tour.
That's fair enough! However, I'd point out that the 2024 leg seems to aim for markets & areas they haven't played this year at all and given all the other activities Bruce and Steve are up to next year, I just don't really see any reason for them to make an effort to change anything at all for next year. Not saying it's impossible, but I just don't see any reason for them to do so. And that's fair enough, it's a fantastic set and while I personally love The Parchment, I have my theories why they'll probably stick with Death of the Celts and why it was probably chosen in the first place. Of course, I've got no facts, just speculating.

2025 is another story, if it's part of the Future Past tour in the first place, but given how all of their major markets seem to get a show between 2023 & 2024, the 2025 might very well see a totally new thing... or not,
Spot on. And they've never been a band that changes their setlists (even just 1 or 2 songs) between legs of a tour that often, which is unlucky for us.
where's the reason for rehearsing cuts like Darkest Hour that don't really fit this set thematically and even if it didn't matter at all, I think you nailed it with "don't see what can be dropped" - exactly! With the 5-5 concept they're going with, I don't think there's a single song on these two albums that make the bulk of the set that can be logically replaced at this point. Alright, Days of Future Past and Death of the Celts technically have very logical substitutes in the form of Stratego & The Parchment, but again, there's a lot of reasons why that wouldn't make much sense and doesn't seem very realistic.
But what if they want to play all of the SJ songs live (their original idea) and change the visuals for the tour... lol. I know it won't happen, but this would be quite the 2nd leg of a special tour. Senjutsu will work better in the middle of the set, just saying (instead of Time Machine or Celts; we have the backdrop for Days). A live album from the album (hybrid, I know) tour without the title track?

And they've never been a band that changes their setlists (even just 1 or 2 songs) between legs of a tour that often, which is unlucky for us.

Unlucky here is a matter of perspective... I mean, sure, it would be cool to watch performances on YouTube from different songs, but as a concert goer, think it's not as straightforward. If I were going to see them in 2024, I honestly don't know if getting Stratego & Senjutsu instead of Days of Future Past & The Time Machine would make things any more exciting than they already are. Let alone swaps like 666/The Prisoner or The Evil That Men Do/Madness.... nope. I'm not making my point clear very well, but I'm just trying to say that 1-2 setlist changes just for the sake of it wouldn't necessarily make things so much more better and interesting.

It's totally different thing if we're speculating about some very interesting deep cuts or actual live debuts, but that seems extremely unlikely to begin with. And honestly, I'm all for more setlist variation, but unless the changes are really, really interesting, I'm totally fine with these thematic, carefully constructed setlists (LOTB 2018-19, Future Past...) staying the same for two years in a row: they have such a brilliant (albeit different, but that's just great!) flow and drama that I can see why those songs were picked and why they are (most likely) not going to be swapped.

Senjutsu will work better in the middle of the set, just saying (instead of Time Machine or Celts; we have the backdrop for Days). A live album from the album (hybrid, I know) tour without the title track?

Well, yeah, but I don't think it's that big of a factor, especially since the song was originally called "The Great Wall" or something. :D It's the album opener and a title track, sure, but given the nature of the tour, I think The Writing on the Wall, The Time Machine, Hell on Earth and obviously some of the Somewhere in Time songs are even more essential and more than enough of a justification for a grandeur live release - which I hope we'll get! :) If it had a spot in the set, it would probably be where Celts is now, but without Bruce's introduction. Can't see it on the spot of The Time Machine as that song has such a significant connection to the tour concept & stage show and Bruce's introduction just underlines it. As goofy as it got, sometimes....

I enjoy speculation as much as anyone here, but as I'm probably not able to attend any Maiden shows next year (and even if I were, I'd still be totally fine with the same set), I'm not bothered about the lack of setlist changes and frankly, looking at how the set and the whole show is built, it's hard to see any realistic changes that would vastly improve the initiated show concept. It's pretty damn great as it is. ;)

One more addition: I agree that getting to hear all Senjutsu songs live would be really cool; I just don't think this show has that much room for any additional cuts, aside from Death of the Celts being technically replaceable in terms of the thematic context and setlist flow, but that's about it.

Last edited:
I believe the Senjutsu tracks are irreplaceable. DOTC stands out as the "live-made" song of the album, DOFP carries the tour's name. Time Machine integrates with the tour's theme, TWOTW is the single and main protagonist from the album (although three consecutive years playing it could be too much), and HOE remains the fan-favorite. The SiT segment perhaps has the same logic and I think no omitted songs present a compelling case to displace any of the current 5.

Lazy or not they want to give everyone who sees a particular tour the same experience. Personally I wouldn't mind at all if there are no changes for for when I see them in Charlotte. If I were to change anything I would prefer Parchment over DOTC and sub out Agnes for something else. But I'm cool if they stay.

TWOTW is the single and main protagonist from the album (although three consecutive years playing it could be too much)--

Probably, but I also think that The Writing on the Wall might be one of the very few tracks from the "modern" era of Maiden that might very well stay in the setlist rotation for the last handful of tours.

I'm not saying it absolutely will, but it's a fantastic live track and it fits the current live groove of the band brilliantly, so I wouldn't mind it! :) But yeah, there's so much competition for those setlist spots that it's hard to say... If anything, I'm happy that Maiden has become quite adventurous with their touring concepts after the first half of 2010s, so whatever they'll come up with, I'm pretty confident that it will be cool!

Back