The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can imagine the conversations at the Youtube/Spotify headquaters:

"Do they have a slower song or a love long we can push?"

"Well they arent exactly a love song type of band but they have this one track from their most impopular album that never really took off and hasn't been played live in 30 years. It doesn't seem like the type of song that captures the core audience's interest."

"Put it at the top of all Iron Maiden playlists!"

That's what actually happens but without human involvement. There's probably an algorithm that plays songs with Love in the title.

Imagine the ultimate intro troll from Maiden on the Future Past tour, although I would actually love it:

Doctor Doctor finishes playing. The lights dim and you hear a distorted sound. "Oh, could this be the intro to Caught Somehwere in Time, or maybe the Blade Runner theme"?

Then: "I try to call the Earth's command, desperation in my voice. I'm drifting way off course now, with very little choice"

I would love that. Haha

Brave New World, I think, has a few contenders that we might hear and that fit well with the theme of the Future Past tour. Wicker Man, Brave New World and Dream of Mirrors are the frontrunners. I'm not expecting Blood Brothers again (since we already saw it in 2022). And honestly, I think the rest of the songs (Ghost of the Navigator, Mercenary, Fallen Angel, Nomad, Silent Planet and Thin Line) are not going to be played, at least not on this tour. I would love to see them live someday, especially Ghost of the Navigator, but it seems unlikely for now.
Out Of The Silent Planet would have had a chance for this tour if it was played live during a whole tour, but unfortunately it was played live only 4 times. The same can be said about Long Distance Runner. I'm not sure if we'll ever hear The Wicker Man again because it doesn't seem to be an easy song for Nicko. I agree about Blood Brothers.

Mercenary, Dream Of Mirrors, the title track and Ghost Of The Navigator are possible deep cuts for a future tour. I would love to hear Ghost Of The Navigator and Brave New World again. Classics!
... from their most impopular album that never really took off
This is not true about FOTD album. I would love to hear Wasting Love live again.
Imagine the ultimate intro troll from Maiden on the Future Past tour, although I would actually love it:

Doctor Doctor finishes playing. The lights dim and you hear a distorted sound. "Oh, could this be the intro to Caught Somehwere in Time, or maybe the Blade Runner theme"?

Then: "I try to call the Earth's command, desperation in my voice. I'm drifting way off course now, with very little choice"
I wouldn't mind hearing The Final Frontier live again, but not at the expense of Caught Somewhere In Time.

The songs from TFF album I want to hear are Coming Home and The Alchemist/Isle Of Avalon/Starblind. Talisman is a difficult song for Bruce.

7eehzs.jpg

Please, please tell me I'm not the only one depressed by the idea of Maiden retiring. Ever since that article where Steve talked about Maiden's "end" I've been feeling super down and not in the mood to listen to Maiden. I know the guys can't go on forever and sure, their end may be approaching, but I can't get my head around that idea.

I haven't been a fan as long as others here. I only became a fan of the band in 2018, have seen them live once so far (2022, Legacy of the Beast in Arnhem) and will see them live again in Amsterdam in July. I hate myself for not becoming a fan sooner and not going to some of their amazing tours. I could've easily been to the Final Frontier, Maiden England and Book of Souls tours if I wanted to. And now that the end is approaching it makes me so incredibly sad.

Anyone who can cheer me up or make me feel better? We can cry together if you want to... :goodbye:

I honestly don't think they are done quite yet. After the Future Past tour in NA/SA, etc in 2024 I think there will be one last album and/or hits tour. They still may make an album or two after they stop touring.

I honestly don't think they are done quite yet. After the Future Past tour in NA/SA, etc in 2024 I think there will be one last album and/or hits tour. They still may make an album or two after they stop touring.
Well Steve said they wanted to tour as much as possible before the end. That makes me believe they would rather tour until they can't tour anymore instead of releasing a new album between tours and doing a support tour for it.

There was 6 years between Book of Souls and Senjutsu (would have been 5 since Senjutsu should have come out a little earlier but covid got in the way) and 5 years between Final Frontier and Book of Souls. With that in mind, we might see a new Maiden album sometime between 2025 and 2030. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but if Steve is already talking about "nearing the end" now I don't see the band releasing a new album and touring with it by then. Nicko will be 73 to 78 years old by then. Hell, even Bruce will be 71 years old in 2030.

I hope you are right and it would be a dream if Maiden continues for another 10 years, but I don't know man. It's hard to stay positive when multiple media sites and social media bombard you with posts and articles like this. As I said, the idea of Maiden retiring and having to listen to their music knowing that I will never see them again (kind of the same feeling I have when I listen to Black Sabbath or Slayer) is depressing, to say the least...

Last edited:
I think Maiden have a few more years in the tank yet. I do however think we might not see another album. From everything I’ve read and heard from the band about Senjutsu and taking into account comments Steve made in his recent interview I do think the band approached this album with a view that it could be their last.

It’s one of the reasons Steve went with 3 epics to close the album. That’s bold by anyone’s standards but it does strike me as him thinking “well if this is the last one I’m not holding anything back”.

The future past tour is likely to rumble on well into 2025. Nicko will be 71 in June and by the time this tour gets close to finishing he’ll be 73 at least if not close to 74. The rest of the band will also be close to or in their 70’s.

I’m not saying the guys are past it in their 70’s but surely the appetite to keep doing these big tours will be dying away. I think of it wasn’t for Steve the band would have stopped years ago as some of the them have been vocal, albeit in a cryptic way, they are growing tired of big world tours.

I can see the band dropping away after the future past tour. Not announcing retirement but just stepping away. Steve will carry on touring and recording with British Lion and Bruce may then do a small solo tour. Adrian will potter about maybe with Ritchie Kotzen or some other project. Davey and Nicko will fade away into retirement with their families. Not sure about Janick, maybe he’ll join Bruce on a solo tour, or reform white spirit :bigsmile:

If this all comes to pass then I can see Maiden doing some one off shows, headlining festivals, maybe the odd stadium gig etc. this is why they won’t announce retirement as they’ll want the option to do one off big shows without looking stupid like Kiss and Motley crue.

I can’t see a new album past Senjutsu to be honest. I could see Steve digging into the vaults and releasing eddies archives part 2 and 3 and 4 etc. I could also seek them releasing a package with maybe a few tracks of new material that they might have laying around that might have been on a new album.

I don’t think we’ll get another album because Steve and the rest of the guys won’t release one if they can’t tour it and I think the appetite to tour a new album won’t be there after the future past tour finishes.

I’d love another album so hope I’m wrong but that’s my take.

I honestly don't think they are done quite yet. After the Future Past tour in NA/SA, etc in 2024 I think there will be one last album and/or hits tour.
This tour will probably last until 2025, but I think at least one more album is possible. Or a Hits tour (they'll want to celebrate their 50th anniv imo).

Edit: if there's one album I'm most curious to hear the follow-up to, it's Senjutsu!
As I said, the idea of Maiden retiring and having to listen to their music knowing that I will never see them again is depressing, to say the least...
I feel the same, but it's inevitable. After all, if they stop touring but still make albums, I'm sure I'll be more than happy with that.
I think Maiden have a few more years in the tank yet. I do however think we might not see another album. From everything I’ve read and heard from the band about Senjutsu and taking into account comments Steve made in his recent interview I do think the band approached this album with a view that it could be their last.

It’s one of the reasons Steve went with 3 epics to close the album. That’s bold by anyone’s standards but it does strike me as him thinking “well if this is the last one I’m not holding anything back”.

The future past tour is likely to rumble on well into 2025. Nicko will be 71 in June and by the time this tour gets close to finishing he’ll be 73 at least if not close to 74. The rest of the band will also be close to or in their 70’s.

I’m not saying the guys are past it in their 70’s but surely the appetite to keep doing these big tours will be dying away. I think of it wasn’t for Steve the band would have stopped years ago as some of the them have been vocal, albeit in a cryptic way, they are growing tired of big world tours.

I can see the band dropping away after the future past tour. Not announcing retirement but just stepping away. Steve will carry on touring and recording with British Lion and Bruce may then do a small solo tour. Adrian will potter about maybe with Ritchie Kotzen or some other project. Davey and Nicko will fade away into retirement with their families. Not sure about Janick, maybe he’ll join Bruce on a solo tour, or reform white spirit :bigsmile:

If this all comes to pass then I can see Maiden doing some one off shows, headlining festivals, maybe the odd stadium gig etc. this is why they won’t announce retirement as they’ll want the option to do one off big shows without looking stupid like Kiss and Motley crue.

I can’t see a new album past Senjutsu to be honest. I could see Steve digging into the vaults and releasing eddies archives part 2 and 3 and 4 etc. I could also seek them releasing a package with maybe a few tracks of new material that they might have laying around that might have been on a new album.

I don’t think we’ll get another album because Steve and the rest of the guys won’t release one if they can’t tour it and I think the appetite to tour a new album won’t be there after the future past tour finishes.

I’d love another album so hope I’m wrong but that’s my take.
That's true about Steve's epics in the album, but he said that even if they don't tour anymore (but still play some shows), they may continue to release albums. I agree about the retirement announcement. But I don't agree that their appetite to play live will ever fade away.

Last edited:
This tour will probably last until 2025, but I think at least one more album is possible. Or a Hits tour (they'll want to celebrate their 50th anniv imo).
I think they will go to NA/ SA in 2024 (I see no chance they'd skip over NA/ SA completely) and perhaps a short European leg in 2025 to places they haven't been to before. But I'm not to sure on that.

Didn't they also do that with the Somewhere Back in Time and Book of Souls tour? And changed up the setlist slightly for those legs of the tour? Could see that happeneing for the Future Past tour in 2025 by playing some other songs form Senjutsu or SiT (Darkest Hour, Lost in a Lost World, Deja Vu, Sea of Madness) that they haven't played in 2023.

That's true about Steve's epics in the album, but he said that even if they don't tour anymore (but still play some shows), they may continue to release albums. I agree about the retirement announcement. But I don't agree that their appetite to play live will ever fade away.
I think Maiden is a band that has toured so much and so often that they have probably adapted so much that stopping would be worse than continuing, even for their age. Maiden lives to play live and from some late interviews you can clearly see the band still has tons of fun on the road. It's not as if they don't like to play live these days.

So I agree. Maiden will probably never lose the desire to play live. If someone were forced to stop playing live (due to old age, for example) I think it would be a very difficult decision for all of them.

I think the optimistic me that's peeking around the corner likes to think this is going to be Maiden's plan for the future:
  • The Future Past tour (2023 - early 2025)
  • New and final album (late 2025, possible Q3)
  • New tour (50th anniversary or new album tour, maybe a hybrid tour of both, 2026 - 2028)
  • Farewell tour (in 2030, one final tour around the world to finish things up. I know Bruce said they probably won't to this but I feel like if the time comes they'll be ready for it and want to do this anyways)
I would have been too optimistic to plan beyond 2030, since every band member will be over 70 years old by then, Nicko will even be 80 by then. It is sad to think that Maiden has less than 10 years to go, but again, it is the hard truth. One I don't want to face yet.

As sad as it will be when Maiden do finally decide to call it a day, I would much rather they go out in good form and still able to perform good shows rather than become a parody like Kiss or have some kind of farcical series of delays and eventual cancellation like Ozzy - even if that means we only have 5 years or so left of Maiden as a live act.

It's strange for me because I first got heavily into the band in 2008, and even on the Somewhere Back In Time tour members of the band were saying every gig is sacred and they won't be around forever, so as a fan I have always been aware that any given tour could be the end. I'm happy with the fact that I'm still going to see Maiden 15 years after those days with confidence that it will be an amazing experience.

I took that as a throw away comment about making albums after they stop. Look at how long they held off releasing Senjutsu because they couldn’t tour it at the time.

The appetite to play live will always be there, health permitting, which is why I think they won’t announce retirement as they’ll still play shows. I think the appetite for world tours is fading now. Steve will keep going till he drops on stage and Bruce has bundles of energy to keep going but the rest of them I think the big tours are not appealing anymore.

Davey is the most obvious as he said he enjoyed being with his family and grandchild during the pandemic lockdowns and with Nickos age and Adrian busy with his little projects I just don’t think they will be announcing big world tours after the future past is over.

They’ll still pop up headlining rock in Rio and download and maybe put in their own one off shows but that’s it. Hope I’m wrong.
I think Maiden is a band that has toured so much and so often that they have probably adapted so much that stopping would be worse than continuing, even for their age. Maiden lives to play live and from some late interviews you can clearly see the band still has tons of fun on the road. It's not as if they don't like to play live these days.
That’s your hopeful and optimistic view there. Only Steve and Bruce have ever seemed to me to live to play live. The rest of the band have thoroughly enjoyed the tours and loved playing live don’t get me wrong but they all seem to me to be likely candidates for wanting to stop and enjoy family time more whilst they still have their health.

As I said above they will never stop performing live just the big world tours will come to a halt.

I imagine Rod has already planned this as the band can still make a huge amount of money doing one off gigs. If they played one date a year in the uk they could fill up a stadium easily as there would be no other dates for fans to hold off and wait for.

As sad as it will be when Maiden do finally decide to call it a day, I would much rather they go out in good form and still able to perform good shows rather than become a parody like Kiss or have some kind of farcical series of delays and eventual cancellation like Ozzy - even if that means we only have 5 years or so left of Maiden as a live act.

My thoughts exactly.

It might be sacrilegious to post this here, but I think the Legacy of the Beast tour could have been a perfect way to end their illustrious career on a (massive) high.

Well Steve said they wanted to tour as much as possible before the end. That makes me believe they would rather tour until they can't tour anymore instead of releasing a new album between tours and doing a support tour for it.
But the space between touring offers up plenty of time for new records to be made. Sure, they’re gonna tour as much as they can, but the touring schedule itself has a lot of empty months so that they aren’t overexerting themselves throughout the whole year. I could see another Senjutsu scenario, where they utilize the off season to work on a new album and then release that a couple years down the road after the latest tour is finished.

So I agree. Maiden will probably never lose the desire to play live. If someone were forced to stop playing live (due to old age, for example) I think it would be a very difficult decision for all of them.

I think the optimistic me that's peeking around the corner likes to think this is going to be Maiden's plan for the future:
  • The Future Past tour (2023 - early 2025)
  • New and final album (late 2025, possible Q3)
  • New tour (50th anniversary or new album tour, maybe a hybrid tour of both, 2026 - 2028)
  • Farewell tour (in 2030, one final tour around the world to finish things up. I know Bruce said they probably won't to this but I feel like if the time comes they'll be ready for it and want to do this anyways)
I would have been too optimistic to plan beyond 2030, since every band member will be over 70 years old by then, Nicko will even be 80 by then. It is sad to think that Maiden has less than 10 years to go, but again, it is the hard truth. One I don't want to face yet.
I agree with all of this. Hopefully they will still be playing live shows in 2027... (2028/2030).
I took that as a throw away comment about making albums after they stop. Look at how long they held off releasing Senjutsu because they couldn’t tour it at the time.

The appetite to play live will always be there, health permitting, which is why I think they won’t announce retirement as they’ll still play shows. I think the appetite for world tours is fading now. Steve will keep going till he drops on stage and Bruce has bundles of energy to keep going but the rest of them I think the big tours are not appealing anymore.

Davey is the most obvious as he said he enjoyed being with his family and grandchild during the pandemic lockdowns and with Nickos age and Adrian busy with his little projects I just don’t think they will be announcing big world tours after the future past is over.

They’ll still pop up headlining rock in Rio and download and maybe put in their own one off shows but that’s it. Hope I’m wrong.

That’s your hopeful and optimistic view there. Only Steve and Bruce have ever seemed to me to live to play live. The rest of the band have thoroughly enjoyed the tours and loved playing live don’t get me wrong but they all seem to me to be likely candidates for wanting to stop and enjoy family time more whilst they still have their health.

As I said above they will never stop performing live just the big world tours will come to a halt.

I imagine Rod has already planned this as the band can still make a huge amount of money doing one off gigs. If they played one date a year in the uk they could fill up a stadium easily as there would be no other dates for fans to hold off and wait for.
Big world tours, no, but 2 (not full) months per year (like this year) is reasonable, I suppose. And the situation with Senjutsu's release was really different.

They all enjoy touring, but certainly Steve the most.
But the space between touring offers up plenty of time for new records to be made. Sure, they’re gonna tour as much as they can, but the touring schedule itself has a lot of empty months so that they aren’t overexerting themselves throughout the whole year. I could see another Senjutsu scenario, where they utilize the off season to work on a new album and then release that a couple years down the road after the latest tour is finished.
^ This.
As sad as it will be when Maiden do finally decide to call it a day, I would much rather they go out in good form and still able to perform good shows
Maiden should be remembered as an amazing live band, I agree.
It might be sacrilegious to post this here, but I think the Legacy of the Beast tour could have been a perfect way to end their illustrious career on a (massive) high.
It would have been a fitting tour for that with the stage design, the name and everything, but TFP tour will be a massive high too without a doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back