The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
HCW and The Great Unknown.
Thanks. It would have been curious if HCW was the last song in the set (like Wasted Years for the tour); I think it would have worked quite well.
Regarding Death of the Celts being spiritual successor of The Clansman. That is true. But as anthemic song Clansman is a clear winner. There's chorus/standard song structure. Celts as a live song may be not so crowd pleasing/involving.
Clansman is the more anthemic song, yes. Celts will be crowd pleasing, but not very crowd involving. The song also has a chorus.

TOAC is the best example of a ''no crowd involving'' song played live.
Really?? The vibe of HOE and it's central message, I just cannot see it working well in the middle of the set. There is a reason to closes the album.... I am curious to see how you think it could fit in the middle of next years set given the songs we on these forums will be aired....
Well, the placement on the album and when it's played live are different things. It will certainly be saved for later in the set. Come to think of it, I doubt they'll play it in the encores because it has longer passages (without singing) than Clansman, although it's a fan favorite. ATG is a bit better suited there imo. Most likely Hell On Earth would be good as an encore opener.
I'm surprised at how many people have predicted Alexander the Great to be featured in the encore. Don't get me wrong, it would sure be an exciting encore opener, but I doubt such complex and, in a way, demanding song would be placed there. Yes, they've played Hallowed and even Aces High there, but the Alexander, if it's played, will probably be accompanied by quite a remarkable theatrics, with some separete props etc. and I believe the band will want to tackle it a bit earlier on, to match the intensity and epicness of the verses & chorus. Of course they're capable of doing it in the encore as well, but I don't know... if they'll go all out with the song (which still isn't certain, but not so unlikely anymore either - I'm actually quite positive about it!), I just don't see it being dragged all the way to the encores instead of being a centerpiece in the main set in the vein of Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, The Book of Souls, Dance of Death/Paschendale and Sign of the Cross (LOTB ).
The longer Senjutsu songs, save The Parchment maybe, don't have a lyrical or thematical narrative that would serve the stage theatrics in the same scale, so I'm all the more confident that Alexander the Great will be in the main set.

As for Hell on Earth, I think it goes down on how the setlist is structured. Hell on Earth could very well be almost right before Iron Maiden, with only one song in between (if any), or it could technically be played very early on if the pacing of the set makes it work.

Of course, they can do just as they wish. To be fair, over the past two or three tour cycles they have shaken up their most familiar setlist structures a little bit, so there's no saying Hell on Earth couldn't be played in this or that position. If it kind of closes an "act I" of the set, for example, it could work relatively early on, especially if a song with an intro tape (e.g The Number of the Beast, The Prisoner, Powerslave...) or something with "explosive energy" like Days of Future Past, The Trooper etc. is played right after.
About ATG placement: this tour could have several long and potential ''centerpiece'' songs, so maybe both Alexander and Hell On Earth will be in the main set, while Hallowed, for example, will be in the encores. I think ATG will be great in the encores, even more so as the last song in the setlist. Yeah, probably it will have busy theatrics/stage prop (like a few more songs, I guess), but let's not forget Aces High in 2022. It will work everywhere.

Hell On Earth could work quite well before Iron Maiden. I think both this song and Parchment should be followed by a short faster rocker.

I agree about the ''setlist structures'' for the last 2 tours.
Maiden is very fond of the theme of a tour and the songs they play usually fit that. Yesterday when I was listening to Deja Vu it occurred to me that that song actually fits the tour quite well.
True and I'd love to hear it, but I doubt Maiden will play a song with no proper solo/s live (the situation with IESF was different). I also can't see them debuting 2 old songs in one tour.
Would take Alexander, Stranger and Wasted Years over Deja Vu.

Would take Deja Vu over every other song on SIT, with the exception of maybe Sea Of Madness.
I want to hear every SIT song live, but the most I want Alexander, the title track, Deja-Vu, Sea and Stranger (mainly because of the solo). And then Runner. The album is too good!

I think ATG will be great in the encores, even more so as the last song in the setlist. Yeah, probably it will have busy theatrics/stage prop (like a few more songs, I guess), but let's not forget Aces High in 2022. It will work everywhere.

To be honest, I'd rather not see Alexander that late in the set. It would work, yes, but I have a gut feeling that it would sound a lot more energetic and intense earlier on... Just like Aces High. :D

To be honest, I'd rather not see Alexander that late in the set. It would work, yes, but I have a gut feeling that it would sound a lot more energetic and intense earlier on... Just like Aces High. :D
My thing is, though, that “Alex” would still work slowed-down a bit. When I saw “Aces High” on the last tour, I thought it was a bit of a blessing and a curse. A blessing, because we get stay in the song a little longer, and a curse, because it’s the iconic speedy Maiden song being slowed down. “Alex” may be more intense when played faster, but it would feel so much more massive when slowed down a bit. Plus, a slower tempo could help the band execute it better (Adrian won’t mess up his solo :p) and you can also cut off the entire intro and play that over the speakers like they do for “Aces High”. I just think that after all these years and all this suspense, playing it as the final song in the show would be an incredible tease and such a satisfying way to close out a concert. Would the anticipation also suck? Yeah, but it’d be worth it.

Whether Maiden does this or not remains to be seen, but if I was in charge of the setlist, “Alex” is a clear encore closer / second encore type of track.

Aces is a much faster song. Alexander is sort of a mid-tempo song and shouldn't be a problem towards the end of the set, methinks. It's the perfect encore opener imo.
I just think that after all these years and all this suspense, playing it as the final song in the show would be an incredible tease and such a satisfying way to close out a concert. Would the anticipation also suck? Yeah, but it’d be worth it.
^ This. But without skipping the intro, ofc.

Last edited:
Found this image on MaidenArg (Maiden fanclub from Argentina) on Facebook and Instagram. Pretty cool extended art. No idea if it's official and the extended version is also made by Akirant but pretty great!

Hoping the stage setup will take a similair approach to this hybrid theme!

(If anyone's got a HD version of it or knows who made the extended art feel free to let me, and others here, know)

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1674246268338.jpg
    FB_IMG_1674246268338.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
With the possible exception of the backgrounds for TBOS and Senjutsu being too plain, most of the official art for the last few years has been great. I didn't enjoy the art direction for TFF, but everything since works really well. I'm excluding the event shirts here, obviously :D

The Future Past art is absolutely phenomenal.

Found this image on MaidenArg (Maiden fanclub from Argentina) on Facebook and Instagram. Pretty cool extended art. No idea if it's official and the extended version is also made by Akirant but pretty great!

Hoping the stage setup will take a similair approach to this hybrid theme!
I don't think it's official, but it's cool. Maybe Maiden will use a similar extended backdrop as I expect this tour poster to be used as such.

About a hybrid looking stage set, it would be something new and great, but maybe it will look a bit messy.
With the possible exception of the backgrounds for TBOS and Senjutsu being too plain, most of the official art for the last few years has been great. I didn't enjoy the art direction for TFF, but everything since works really well.

The Future Past art is absolutely phenomenal.
I don't agree about TFF, but with the rest - absolutely. No backgrounds for TBOS and Senjutsu, but the Eddies (and the additional artworks for the albums) are amazing. The tour posters too, especially The Future Past one. Some of the singles & live album artworks could have been different and with more details though, but the drawings are good.

Whether Maiden does this or not remains to be seen, but if I was in charge of the setlist, “Alex” is a clear encore closer / second encore type of track.
I would like it to be the first encore. The suspense would still build up, "will they or not?" And afterwards I can see Bruce saying something like "well, we finally fucking played it. Was it worth the wait?" to get a crowd pop, then they can proceed with the rest of the encore songs.

I would like it to be the first encore. The suspense would still build up, "will they or not?" And afterwards I can see Bruce saying something like "well, we finally fucking played it. Was it worth the wait?" to get a crowd pop, then they can proceed with the rest of the encore songs.
Yep, he will definitely say something.
Also i think the closing song will be "running free "
They might choose a less difficult song to end the show with, but I doubt they will bring back Running Free or Sanctuary again. Idk, I can't see them dropping any of the ''5 mandatroy classics'' for it. I hope they choose another deep cut instead.

I would so love to hear "The Parchment" live. I would place it early in the setlist, after we all gathered there, the audience can sing “Meet me there".
(I have to admit that I rarely sing along, but that has nothing at all to do with not liking what I am hearing). If a few "play classics", like "Run to the Hills" were cut, I wouldn't find that so bad...

Chances are Maiden hasn't even started rehearsals yet, they probably don't even know what the final setlist is.
Plus the fact that on the official tour poster there is a city in fire that recalls the one on Virtual XI cover artwork... So, "Futureal" or "When Two Worlds Collide" could be in the setlist as well. So, my opinion about EMP advertisement could be a fake one or, at least, some false clue to have fun with the fans that put videos on YT trying to guess this summer's setlist. ;)

It's definitely fake. Someone posted it as a prediction.

Parchment freak here.
I think it will work well live on the condition it’s a smaller size tour such as an album tour or Future Past Tour, where the audience is more likely to be consisted of hard core fans and a closed type, non arena venue.
No way it can work well in a mammoth tour, as the Legacy of the Beast, as it’s a bit slow and many people wouldn’t recognize it. Plus the sound would be inferior and many licks and melodies would be not hearable. Look at Senjutsu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back