The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly my thoughts. It was a rumour (originating in South America, if I'm correct) that got spread into mainstream media.
Correct. It was a Spanish /Mexican guy who said in a podcast/ livestream on Youtube that he had "heard" that Dave Murray wanted Maiden to retire. He obviously made it up or they wouldn't have scheduled the FTP in 2023.

The same message appeared when I opened Facebook this morning. A random metal fan page posted it, again.

Repost from a random Maiden fan on the Iron Maiden subreddit on Reddit, but I thought the idea would be pretty cool (link to original post):

I am unashamedly a big fan of the Time Machine on the Senjutsu album. It is a Janick track and has all of his signature riffs and melodies that are always so good. However, my gripe (and everyone else's too as it would seem) with it are the lyrics. It is basically the narrator bragging about his awesome new time machine and oh the adventures he's had traveling through time, seeing historic events, and meeting all the important people throughout time! And he's gonna tell us all about it. EXCEPT, he goes ahead and tells us none of it!

OR DOES HE!?

Throughout Iron Maiden's discography, there are songs and lore about every part of history and mythology. You name an important event and there's an Iron Maiden song on it. How? Why? Obviously because there are books on them? But then how are there songs about the future? Why is there a song about self-reflection and about the passage of time (Wasted Years)? Why is there a song called Caught Somewhere in Time? Was it because there was an equipment malfunction of a certain... Time Machine!?

Because of the cyclical nature of time, we heard the stories first as the narrator saw it as he traveled through time, but the Time Machine itself wouldn't be invented until the year 2021. So that's why there is a song about it now. Eddie is not just a mere mascot being present at every major event, he himself is a time lord and the narrator. He was all but a simple man like the rest of us and started his journey through time in 2021 and Iron Maiden are now ready to tell Eddie's adventures in a chronological order from his point of view.

So my guess (or rather my hope) is, Iron Maiden opens their next tour with The Time Machine, and then the lyrics suddenly all make sense. It is just a preface of what the narrator has on his hands and he's going to tell you all about it in the next hour and a half.

Correct. It was a Spanish /Mexican guy who said in a podcast/ livestream on Youtube that he had "heard" that Dave Murray wanted Maiden to retire. He obviously made it up or they wouldn't have scheduled the FTP in 2023.

The same message appeared when I opened Facebook this morning. A random metal fan page posted it, again.
I would probably consign that 'information' into the same bin as 'Steve is an antivaxxer and the 2022 tour will be cancelled' rumour.

Yeah, Nicko said that he loves experiencing some new drum patterns live as long as it doesn't denature the songs. After all, all the musicians in the band don't play exactly the same way as they're playing on studio recordings. They are some evident changes between studio and live versions of the songs.
I must have missed when he said that. Your second sentence is true, but I think the changes are not that many and for many songs.
CSIT is simply on another level. From the ones you mentioned Aces High is what comes closer but not as demanding (and we all have seen how he's struggled to nail it for decades now).

Come one, man... let's not elude ourselves. Bruce can still pull out ther majority of maiden tunes if he's not tired but even compared when to what I consider to be his worst performance tour wise during the 80's (Somewhere On Tour) is not even close anymore when it comes to higher notes. Hey, once again... time does not forgive. But if you want to believe he's singing better now, fine.
I agree that CSIT is a difficult song for Bruce to sing live. Aces High sounded great in 2018.

The 1986 tour is indeed Bruce's worst performance tour wise during the 80's, but he can still hit the higher notes. Even listen to his book tour acapella performances of the difficult songs from his solo albums with the high parts in them.
Agreed. What Bruce lacks in power in the upper register nowadays - voice gets deeper as you age - he more than compensates with a MUCH better singing technique.

but he is still a much better singer nowadays than at any point during the 80s.
Your first sentence is the truth. About your second sentence, I wouldn't say that (especially for 1982/1983), but I can agree.
Why is everyone so sure that Futureal will be in the set?

I joined the hype, to be honest, but now I'm thinking...why? I mean, their usual go-to in the VXI album is The Clansman. Futureal is a quick, go-to song to give Bruce a breather and pump up the crowd, but they'll already need to rehearse a bunch of "new" songs, some of which will require some brainstorm on how to perform (CSiT, Stranger in a Strange Land, Sea of Madness as a candidate, either Parchment or Hell on Earth), I wouldn't be surprised at all if they just went with their comfy banger in Wrathchild and called it a day.
Because it's a very possible short/easy/performed with Bruce before deep cut that will fit in the theme of the tour. And because it's most likely hinted in the tour poster! We know Maiden like to do that.

Wrathchild is possible. Running Free and Sanctuary maybe not. It seems they don't want to play some of the old staples anymore.
high notes and raw power... something CSIT relies strongly upon.
Aces High too.
In other words, he had worse worse performances in the 80s but better best performances.
I think Bruce's live performances after 1999 are better than his performances in the 80's.
Bruce had a wider range in the 80s, but much less control, finesse, power and technique. Today, I'd wager he has about 90% of his range still, while having more power, more technique, a thicker voice, and more control. The big issue nowadays (and I've said this before) isn't Bruce's ability to hit high-notes. He hits high-notes just fine. It's his wind. You'll never again hear Bruce belt out a 30+ second long note like he does on Hallowed By Thy Name from Rock in Rio. This has been the case, i've noticed, since at least 2012 on the Maiden England tour, when Bruce "cut up" the "oh oh oh" part of Seventh Son instead of keeping it all one long note. But that's also a choice he's making so he can reserve his power for where it counts and still sound good.

The big question mark for the Future Past tour is not and has never been Bruce. He's good to go. It's Nicko. Two years off of touring from the first half of the LotB tour, and there's a marked decrease in energy and speed in many of the songs. I really want to believe it's because they went on tour and weren't 100% physically prepared/in shape and they'll be fine on Future Past...but I suppose we'll see.
I agree on a 100% with what you said about Bruce, but I think he doesn't do some of the long notes live to save his voice, not that he can't.

About your second sentence - it's true.
Great ''thank you'' video. It looks like Eddie won the fight with Bruce. :p
That's how I interpreted it as well. He's not saying that he's afraid he can't do it anymore because give the man some credit; He's 70 years old and is still drumming like a madman!

He's just wishing himself to be healthy next year and ready to get on stage again!

I'm almost 100% certain Nicko will finish the FPT. After that, who knows?
^ This.
Yeah. I feel like this too. Bruce and Steve are not replaceable and if 2 of the other members retire, that's a wrap.

That said, I can't see H and Jan retiring soon. Jan loves touring and H is basically traveling the world with Nathalie and playing a few shows in between. Nicko, it purely depends on his physical condition and if he stays fit enough, he will probably play for the rest of the life. Dave is the biggest question mark. However, I believe that those rumours we heard in the beginning of the year were exgreggated a bit.
I don't think anyone in the band want to retire. They enjoy touring a lot. Nicko might have not a probelm with another drummer filling in for him live, but Steve and Bruce said that if one of the band members retires, the whole band would do this too. The rumours about Dave were fake.
So my guess (or rather my hope) is, Iron Maiden opens their next tour with The Time Machine,
The Time Machine as an opener? The song has a too long intro with a lot of singing in it to be skipped live. It's not a good opener imo.

Last edited:
You know what, fair play to Bruce here, he's clearly lost his upper register and is making it sound good singing much lower, it actually makes for something really interesting to listen to as we've never heard it sung in that register.

His tone there also has that infamous 1993 vibe..! But yeah, summer 2011 was quite tough one for Bruce.

Literally only because the word Future is in the song title. Many other songs have also been mentioned because they have a "time theme"

People are reading way too much into things. They're not going to play it.

Then again, that's what I thought about the whole Senjutsu & SiT thing in the first place...

But yeah, Futureal is definitely unlikely, but I wouldn't call it impossible. Powerslave was featured in the TBOS tour due to it's thematical fit, although it being fairly comfortable for Bruce sure played a huge part as well, and a major portion of the LOTB set is built with a similar approach.

Before 2018, I honestly would've said that basically any Blaze-era song save The Clansman seems extremely unlikely, but now... I think that surprisingly enough, Futureal might be in the pool of songs considered. Maiden has pulled off these oddballs every now and then.

Still, I don't think it's  likely but it's not exactly impossible either. Over the last two tours, they have definitely acknowledged the growing physical constraints (very subtly, though) and I dare say that one of the good outcomes in that is they need to take slightly different approach to the song pool where the setlist is eventually chosen. That is one of the reasons I believed that Stranger in a Strange Land will make it's return one day, hehe!

But yeah, we'll see. I agree with your point - just wanted to underline that a thought about them playing Futureal is not quite as out of this world as one might think!

Last edited:
Is it confirmed that there will only be European dates in 2023? The tour seems to be taking place over a similar timeframe as the European leg this year so they could feasibly visit the Americas in the Autumn again, unless they've ruled this out somewhere in the press releases already. I seem to recall Bruce saying 'see you next year' at some of the American shows.

Is it confirmed that there will only be European dates in 2023? The tour seems to be taking place over a similar timeframe as the European leg this year so they could feasibly visit the Americas in the Autumn again, unless they've ruled this out somewhere in the press releases already. I seem to recall Bruce saying 'see you next year' at some of the American shows.
Rod's end of tour message said they are only doing Europe next year.

Yeah Rod confirmed it in the press release to mark the end of LOTB

This is just a guess btw, but there is room for two more gigs between Tampere and Wacken. One between Tampere and Bergen. That's gonna be either a second night in Tampere, or maybe Stockholm. There are no clear rumours what they will do in this gap, but possibly two nights in Tampere.

The second is between Krakow and Zürich. This one is almost certainly Hellfest on the 17th of June.

That brings us to 30 shows. So the question is how many they do before Tampere. There is a rumour on the fanclub Maiden will start in Aalborg, and another that they will play Stockholm on the first of June, however it's not certain. I think we might know more on Thursday.

I suppose they didn’t play in Japan and Australia and it looks they won’t go next year due to the logistics and fuel costs but… hey you earned a bunch of money. Isn’t it? If travel with full production is a lot of money and it’s not worth of it, you can travel and play with a couple of backdrops, inflatable Eddie and that’s it but don’t forget fans there for seven years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back