The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me, Nicko is kind of a second mascot of the band. And the one who brings laughter. Despite him being somewhat replacable, I don't know if touring without him would do the character dynamics in the band any good.

Funnily enough, I gave once a professional singer (opera for work, heavy metal as a hobby) two recordings of Children of the Damned: one from 1986 and the other from 2009 to get his qualified opinion on the matter. Unsurprisingly, he found the latter vastly superior on every aspect.

On a related note, I never claimed that Bruce could belt those songs out in 2022… I dread to think how he is going to sound on some of the SIT material (fingers crossed it is just the pessimist in me).
Well... Point a) I've already said what I thought about Bruce's voice in 86/87 and b) on a song like COTD yeah... I tend to agree with you and your friend (just wouldn't say "vastly"... that would be Live After Death or Beast Over Hammersmith IMO). c) COTD is a completely different deal when compared with tunes like Aces High, To Tame A Land, Invaders, CSIT, WED, LOTLD and others. It requires different breathing technique, more raw strength and explosiveness. But hey if you want to believe otherwise go ahead. You're free to do it.

Yea….just watched the video. Nicko really put an emphasis on “if he’ll be drumming” and it seemed a bit more than just his usual self-deprecating sense of humor.

I’ve said it before, but I am predicting that we’re gonna see Joe Lazarus on this next tour either replacing or supplementing Nicko.
I interpreted it as if he's still alive (not that there's anything wrong with him.) I don't think the band/management would want to foreshadow that anyone's getting replaced if they don't even know if that'd be happening.

I interpreted it as if he's still alive (not that there's anything wrong with him.) I don't think the band/management would want to foreshadow that anyone's getting replaced if they don't even know if that'd be happening.
I forget where it happened on these forums, but someone somewhere who know someone somewhere else said that Maiden has (at least for the last decade) had a backup plan for Nicko.

I forget where it happened on these forums, but someone somewhere who know someone somewhere else said that Maiden has (at least for the last decade) had a backup plan for Nicko.
I think it all depends on policies of insurance firms. When Nicko was the only 65+ member it made sense.

Now, when almost whole band is 65+... I don't know what they do to keep the insurance bill down.

Well... Point a) I've already said what I thought about Bruce's voice in 86/87 and b) on a song like COTD yeah... I tend to agree with you and your friend (just wouldn't say "vastly"... that would be Live After Death or Beast Over Hammersmith IMO). c) COTD is a completely different deal when compared with tunes like Aces High, To Tame A Land, Invaders, CSIT, WED, LOTLD and others. It requires different breathing technique, more raw strength and explosiveness. But hey if you want to believe otherwise go ahead. You're free to do it.

Feel free to disagree with a professional singer then (you might be one too though). :)

Last edited:
Why is everyone so sure that Futureal will be in the set?
In my case it's a healthy dose of wishful thinking.

Also having just spent years playing SotC and Clansman, if they wanted to do a Blaze-era song on the next tour Futureal would be a logical choice. A short rocker that the fans would love and would give them a break between all of the longer and more challenging SiT and Senjutsu material.

Feel free to disagree with a professional singer then (you might be one too though). :)
It seems either you didn't read what I wrote or understood it at all. You know what, don't bother doing it. Yeah sure Bruce will nail all songs like in the 80's and he sings better than during that period... believe in whatever and whoever you want.:okok:

Literally only because the word Future is in the song title. Many other songs have also been mentioned because they have a "time theme"

People are reading way too much into things. They're not going to play it.
Just because of that now I want To Tame A Land played on the next tour! :D:D:D:D:D

That's how I interpreted it as well. He's not saying that he's afraid he can't do it anymore because give the man some credit; He's 70 years old and is still drumming like a madman!

He's just wishing himself to be healthy next year and ready to get on stage again! Let's face it, a LOT can happen in one year (remember how fast we went from complete freedom to lockdown).

I'm almost 100% certain Nicko will finish the FPT. After that, who knows?

Absolutely. There is so much money in this, they can't afford to cancel. If Nicko breaks his hand mid-tour, would they cancel or find a replacement? Only Bruce and Steve are impossible to replace.
Here's what I think would happen:
  • Harris - when he's done, the band is done (obviously)
  • Dickinson - I don't think that Dickinson and Maiden are synonymous, and I like the four albums with Di'Anno and Bayley. But at this point, I can't imagine how the band would continue without him
  • McBrain - I think the band would continue with him going into "semi" retirement. Maybe he'd play the drums on a future studio album. They'd have someone else drum during the main set. Maybe Nicko would go onstage and joust with Eddie once or twice during the main set. And then hopefully he'd drum the 3(?) songs during the encore.
  • The guitarists - I think the band would keep going if any one of them left. Murray would probably be the hardest to replace, if only because he's the only one of them who's been on every studio album. It wouldn't be ideal, but I think they'd reluctantly go on as a five piece band if one of the guitarists retired. (If two of them left, that would be it. I also think that if McBrain and any one guitarist left, that would also be it).
It's not fun thinking about this. I hope we get one more studio album and one more tour after DOFP.

Here's what I think would happen:
  • Harris - when he's done, the band is done (obviously)
  • Dickinson - I don't think that Dickinson and Maiden are synonymous, and I like the four albums with Di'Anno and Bayley. But at this point, I can't imagine how the band would continue without him
  • McBrain - I think the band would continue with him going into "semi" retirement. Maybe he'd play the drums on a future studio album. They'd have someone else drum during the main set. Maybe Nicko would go onstage and joust with Eddie once or twice during the main set. And then hopefully he'd drum the 3(?) songs during the encore.
  • The guitarists - I think the band would keep going if any one of them left. Murray would probably be the hardest to replace, if only because he's the only one of them who's been on every studio album. It wouldn't be ideal, but I think they'd reluctantly go on as a five piece band if one of the guitarists retired. (If two of them left, that would be it. I also think that if McBrain and any one guitarist left, that would also be it).
It's not fun thinking about this. I hope we get one more studio album and one more tour after DOFP.
Yeah. I feel like this too. Bruce and Steve are not replaceable and if 2 of the other members retire, that's a wrap.

That said, I can't see H and Jan retiring soon. Jan loves touring and H is basically traveling the world with Nathalie and playing a few shows in between. Nicko, it purely depends on his physical condition and if he stays fit enough, he will probably play for the rest of the life. Dave is the biggest question mark. However, I believe that those rumours we heard in the beginning of the year were exgreggated a bit.

I figure for Dave he had two years off, probably got into a routine. I imagine he got back out there and remembered what it was about. The next tour is pretty short so far.

I couldn't find anything in Dave's performances or statements to support that assumption. I think someone just pulled that out of the hat to generate attention without knowing more.
Exactly my thoughts. It was a rumour (originating in South America, if I'm correct) that got spread into mainstream media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back