The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
That whole show was on YT a while ago under the title "Bruce singing sick as a dog". Saying that he's better now than in 86 based upon this example without attending to its unique circumstances is like saying Bruce can no longer sing a lick based upon NOTD (or the rest of the 2019 south american leg): absolute nonsense.
True - but you did specifically mention his worst 80s performances in your post. I agree comparing worsts is not a good method of objective comparison.

But, I think Bruce in the 80s could fluctuate anywhere between a 6 and a 10/10 depending on what state he was in, whereas he is more consistently around the 7/8 level nowadays in my opinion. When his voice is not in good shape he seems to pull his punches and just sing the line in a lower pitch rather than tear his voice to shreds like he did back in the day. In other words, he had worse worse performances in the 80s but better best performances.

In any case, CSIT is still a challenging prospect live - now or then.

Bruce had a wider range in the 80s, but much less control, finesse, power and technique. Today, I'd wager he has about 90% of his range still, while having more power, more technique, a thicker voice, and more control. The big issue nowadays (and I've said this before) isn't Bruce's ability to hit high-notes. He hits high-notes just fine. It's his wind. You'll never again hear Bruce belt out a 30+ second long note like he does on Hallowed By Thy Name from Rock in Rio. This has been the case, i've noticed, since at least 2012 on the Maiden England tour, when Bruce "cut up" the "oh oh oh" part of Seventh Son instead of keeping it all one long note. But that's also a choice he's making so he can reserve his power for where it counts and still sound good.

The big question mark for the Future Past tour is not and has never been Bruce. He's good to go. It's Nicko. Two years off of touring from the first half of the LotB tour, and there's a marked decrease in energy and speed in many of the songs. I really want to believe it's because they went on tour and weren't 100% physically prepared/in shape and they'll be fine on Future Past...but I suppose we'll see.

It's rather tricky topic because of the touring schedule, tempo of the songs which was way faster and way of a life of a 30+ years younger person. He is now using different technique which suits his way of singing right now on a songs which has slower tempo, it doesn't necessarily mean he is a better singer(maybe more mature), he just knows what he is doing and he is doing it good, if he was to sing faster version of aces he would drop dead.

True - but you did specifically mention his worst 80s performances
Come on... I'm not talking about isolated situations. I mean worst performances on a regular basis. And that's why I mentioned Somewhere On Tour which IMO is the period of time where he was preforming the worst during the 80's. Regarding what you mentioned later and the grades... If you want to believe that once again: more power to you.
Bruce had a wider range in the 80s, but much less control, finesse, power and technique.
He had less technique and control (which is part of technique BTW :p ) for sure. The rest...
Today, I'd wager he has about 90% of his range still, while having more power, more technique, a thicker voice, and more control. The big issue nowadays (and I've said this before) isn't Bruce's ability to hit high-notes. He hits high-notes just fine. It's his wind. You'll never again hear Bruce belt out a 30+ second long note like he does on Hallowed By Thy Name from Rock in Rio. This has been the case, i've noticed, since at least 2012 on the Maiden England tour, when Bruce "cut up" the "oh oh oh" part of Seventh Son instead of keeping it all one long note. But that's also a choice he's making so he can reserve his power for where it counts and still sound good.
Once again... it's 100% cool for me if you want to believe that. ;)

This is a great SIT performance overall

Yup it's one of the best concerts from the SIT yet one can notice how tired he is... IMO it's still worst than 99% of shows from other tours I listened with Bruce during the 80's. And still I don't believe for a fraction of a second Bruce can still hit those notes. But hey! Perhaps I'm delusional. :p

Check out the latest thank you video MAIDEN just posted.
Nicko says see you all next year and god willing he will be behind the tubs .

You could interpate any way you want but it certainly does come across if for whatever reason he couldn't the tour would go on without him playing

You could interpate any way you want but it certainly does come across if for whatever reason he couldn't the tour would go on without him playing
I noticed it too, same interpretation.

Yea….just watched the video. Nicko really put an emphasis on “if he’ll be drumming” and it seemed a bit more than just his usual self-deprecating sense of humor.

I’ve said it before, but I am predicting that we’re gonna see Joe Lazarus on this next tour either replacing or supplementing Nicko.

Thank you for this. Folks, if you are going to reference a video/social media post/interview with information it would be helpful to post it here instead of a vague description of the source.

To sum it up: if you want to believe he's a better singer today than back in the 80's, that he sings Aces High better than in LAD or that he can still belt CSIT or LOTLDR and other hard as hell tunes effortlessly... hey, what can I say? More power to you. :p
Funnily enough, I gave once a professional singer (opera for work, heavy metal as a hobby) two recordings of Children of the Damned: one from 1986 and the other from 2009 to get his qualified opinion on the matter. Unsurprisingly, he found the latter vastly superior on every aspect.

On a related note, I never claimed that Bruce could belt those songs out in 2022… I dread to think how he is going to sound on some of the SIT material (fingers crossed it is just the pessimist in me).

I am sure the brand would not want to lose any money by cancelling the tour.

On a related note, I never claimed that Bruce could belt those songs out in 2022… I dread to think how he is going to sound on some of the SIT material (fingers crossed it is just the pessimist in me).
I am sure he will sound good. Even when he sounds strained there is still a lot of quality in his voice that I like.

But also his singing on the last leg of this years tour has been really good IMO.

I am sure the brand would not want to lose any money by cancelling the tour.
Absolutely. There is so much money in this, they can't afford to cancel. If Nicko breaks his hand mid-tour, would they cancel or find a replacement? Only Bruce and Steve are impossible to replace.

I think Bruce will be fine (depends on night to night form tho...).

I'm more concerned about CSIT and Nicko. And yeah, it fully sounds like Nicko is prepared to do a Mick Mars, if he doesn't feel he is up to par, so, hopefully they don't go with their heads through the wall.

I would dread the sight at the first gig next year, when Dr. Dr. stops and Nicko is not behind the cans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back