The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I can see tastes differ, but I never understood the hype around this band, really. Not in 1997, not now.
They have a very simple dance metal style but know how to smack a person across the face with a riff. I also really like their wordplay, some of it walking the line between really kinda smart and really kinda dumb. A lot of these songs wouldn’t have the same effect if they sang them in English. They haven’t had a perfect career (and I’m certainly not happy about the Till allegations), but their best work rightfully holds a high pedestal in metal’s history.

And the fact that they only sing in German and managed to get all this success in a world dominated by English-speaking artists is definitely not something to sneeze at. I guess it’s something about the effect of the vocals alongside the lyrics and using simpler phrases as a song’s root (“Du… du hast… du hast mich…”). Still impressive.

Also I have to say that eating dinner in a German restaurant and hearing “Engel” being blasted from the radio directly after Taylor Swift and otherwise surrounded by nothing but pop songs was a really weird and cool experience at the same time, lol. Just goes to prove what I’ve always been saying: Rammstein don’t write metal songs, they write dance pop with REALLY LOUD GUITARS. :p

The band was on fire last night, an amazing performance.

On a down note I have to rant about the O2. This was the first time in all the gigs I’ve seen at the O2 that I decided to stay over in London. Usually I would have ran to grab the last train home.

Won’t ever stay in London again for an O2 gig. Most of the O2 was closed by the time I got out after the gig and the few places that were opened were absolutely rammed with huge queues outside. Why on earth would so many places shut just when thousands of people are coming out of a gig and looking for something to eat and drink.

On top of that massive queues for the tube and a nightmare getting a cab back to my hotel did sour the evening a tad which was a shame after such a great performance from the band.

I imagine some of the restaurants do not have permission to stay open until late due to whatever licence they have.

They have a very simple dance metal style but know how to smack a person across the face with a riff. I also really like their wordplay, some of it walking the line between really kinda smart and really kinda dumb. A lot of these songs wouldn’t have the same effect if they sang them in English. They haven’t had a perfect career (and I’m certainly not happy about the Till allegations), but their best work rightfully holds a high pedestal in metal’s history.

And the fact that they only sing in German and managed to get all this success in a world dominated by English-speaking artists is definitely not something to sneeze at. I guess it’s something about the effect of the vocals alongside the lyrics and using simpler phrases as a song’s root (“Du… du hast… du hast mich…”). Still impressive.

Also I have to say that eating dinner in a German restaurant and hearing “Engel” being blasted from the radio directly after Taylor Swift and otherwise surrounded by nothing but pop songs was a really weird and cool experience at the same time, lol. Just goes to prove what I’ve always been saying: Rammstein don’t write metal songs, they write dance pop with REALLY LOUD GUITARS. :p
I sometimes wish the great David Lynch would have never used two of their songs for Lost Highway in the 1990s. In that case nobody would have ever known Rammstein.

I sometimes wish the great David Lynch would have never used two of their songs for Lost Highway in the 1990s. In that case nobody would have ever known Rammstein.
While that movie brought them some underground exposure, it was Korn's 1998 Family Values tour and the subsequent VHS release that broke Rammstein into the mainstream.

I imagine some of the restaurants do not have permission to stay open until late due to whatever licence they have.
Yeah I’m sure your right and that’s the reason but I still don’t get it.

There’s gigs at the O2 all the time so surely the main point of having a bar/restaurant would be to mop up the before and after crowd of all the concerts so I would have thought more places would have applied for a late licence. I doubt anyone would be turned down for one so I can only assume the businesses that close early don’t want to stay open.

WOW looks like I am the only one not happy about yesterday.
All those people talking about the crowd and how great it was, you have obviously never attended a gig in the south of Europe.
Sound was a bit screechy, guitars in particular.
Backing vocals were too high, there were times they were overshadowing Bruce.
Band was fine and in good form, but honestly I've seen much better Maiden gigs.

There’s gigs at the O2 all the time so surely the main point of having a bar/restaurant would be to mop up the before and after crowd of all the concerts so I would have thought more places would have applied for a late licence. I doubt anyone would be turned down for one so I can only assume the businesses that close early don’t want to stay open.
How many people are going for a meal at 11 at night? Not many i would think so no point staying open.

There were a few bars open till 12-1 so not all bad

I've seen people smoking in the pit. Is it legal?

Btw . I've never seen Adrian play wrong a note until today during the Stranger in a Strange Land Solo. Could be monitoring thing I don't know…

I was a bit surprised that more places didn't stay open tbh. We got the ferry back to Battersea, and nightlife was in full swing up there at midnight. Apart from a couple of the bars, though, a lot of the attractions at the O2 are more daytime shopping and early evening type things, rather than either fine dining or trendy nightlife. At a guess, people just want to get home while most trains/Tube/boats are still operating, and the O2 isn't within in walking distance of where most people are staying.

When we got to Battersea some Americans were looking for places to go, though, so maybe the O2 is missing a trick :lol: Everyone bought drinks and crisps on the boat too.
I've seen people smoking in the pit. Is it legal?

No it's not, but they clearly don't give a shit. There was a small scattering of dickheads down there.

People must believe we only have crap bands in Germany (LOTL, Powerwold, Rammstein), but it's not like that.

I'm okay with Lord of the Lost. I didn't particularly enjoy their music when I've listened to recordings, but as a live band they're a LOT more entertaining than The Raven Age, Shinedown etc. Definitely about performance. Also, what's wrong with Powerwolf and Rammstein? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back