The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, what a night in Tampere on Sunday.

I've seen Maiden 6 times now, and I think this was the best one. The stage, the lights, the setlist, the performance and energy of the band... All brilliant.

Bruce sounds absolutely great right now, much better than last year around this time. He is looking healthy and happy, all smiles all the time. Dave, Janick and Steve continue to be dependable as ever, and it's just such a privilege to watch Adrian do what he does. In terms of guitars, this is his tour. So many brilliant solo spots for him, and he just plays his stuff with such elegance and taste. Love it.

Nicko was fine. By now we all know his ability seems to be deteriorating quite fast year to year, but he working hard to keep the tempos nice and brisk. The fills are missing, but it's alright. He is a legend and clearly still able to tour with the band and keep the overall package tight. We shall see what happens by the end of this run.

I thought I'd say something about each song.

Caught Somewhere In Time
The perfect opener, one of Maiden's best songs. I was crying when the first chorus hit. Bruce sounds powerful and I love how both Dave and Adrian play the solos close to the originals.

Stranger In A Strange Land
Never thought I'd hear this Adrian solo live. Crying continued. The pace of this song fits 2020's Maiden really well and the song also worked great after CSIT I think. Crowd loved it.

The Writing On The Wall
First speaking break for Bruce before this song. LOTB tour last year already showed how well this song works live, and it continues to do so. Another Adrian showcase obviously. The first verse is tough for Bruce, straining quite a bit.

Days Of Future Past
Not one of my favorite songs, so a kind of a break for me where I could finally lower my arms and gather some energy. Bruce does okay although the chorus is at the limit for his current range.

The Time Machine
As per usual for Janick, there are some great parts in this that get the crowd moving. I thought the band handled the tempo changes very well. Bruce made a convoluted speech before this one and I think nobody understood what he was on about, lol. Adrian had a big technical problem during the song and spent most of it at the back with his tech, apparently trying to fix monitoring issues or something.

The Prisoner
One of the highlights of the night! Again a great live song for 2020's Maiden, and I actually love how loud Adrian and Steve were at the backing vocal in the chorus. NOT A PRISONEERHH, I'M A FREE MANHH, haha. The instrumental section sounds amazing and tight, Adrian shining once again.

Death Of The Celts
Bruce made the audience sing happy birthday to Nicko before, but I'm not sure everyone realised who it was supposed to be for and a big portion of the crowd did not join in. Bruce, make it clear next time please! The song itself is fine, and the band really tries its best to make it come alive. Tempo changes again on point. This was the least enthused the crowd was the entire night.

Can I Play With Madness
Loved it! Not my favorite as a studio version, but it really comes alive in a concert setting and is fun to sing along to. The crowd needed it after Celts. Good choice of song in my opinion.

Heaven Can Wait
Crowd loved it again with all the singing, chanting and jumping. And of course Bruce's theatrics with the gun and Eddie. A very strong smell of gun powder after the act, haha.

Alexander The Great
This is it, this was what I was waiting for. Never thought I'd hear this masterpiece live. I love how Bruce really plants himself to the center of the stage and delivers the vocals. A surprisingly good song for the crowd with the pounding riffs and a singable chorus. And the instrumental section, oh boy, I was crying again. When the harmonised melody slides into Adrian's solo I felt more alive than I've felt in a long time. This actually seems like a song that is not that straining for the band to play because the tempo is manageable. The number one highlight of the night.

Fear Of The Dark
We all like to complain about overplayed songs but when you are there in front of the stage and FOTD hits, you just can't beat it. Crowd goes nuts, everyone is singing and jumping, the band is all smiles. What could be better? Nicko starts to be clearly fatigued by this point and the tempo is a tad slower than I'd like but all the same, this song is a beast and a live staple.

Iron Maiden
Again, would not have it any other way. Iron Maiden is definitely gonna get me. Bruce had a cool jacket.

----

Hell On Earth
Another one I was very much looking forward to, it's my favorite song on Senjutsu. A masterclass of achingly beautiful melodies by Steve. I like how they gave it a big spot as the first encore. I also loved the excessive use of pyros, lol. Some people in the crowd were clearly ecstatic, while others had no clue what the song was. Love in anger, life in danger part is so powerful. If I'm super honest though, I think I prefer to listen to this on the album. The contemplative nature of the song fits that setting better. Still loved it though, and I'm glad they played it.

The Trooper
The setlist demanded a high energy classic after the mammoth of HOE, and Trooper was a solid choice for it. Nicko just barely stumbled through this but you don't really care when you are screaming your guts out to the chorus. A classic for a reason. No flags or uniform for Bruce, quite curious.

Wasted Years
A solid closer, fits the theme of the tour. Crowd sings along, everyone's hands are in the air. I think this song is one of the most popular Maiden songs on Finnish rock radio stations. The song causes surprisingly many problems for Nicko and the rest of the guys to keep in sync. And I mean, I love that Adrian had the final solo of the night.

If this was to be the last time I ever see Maiden, it would be a good one. The band is still at the top of their game and I love how adventurous they made this setlist. A wonderful night that I will remember for a long time. Is there a better, more bittersweet and communal experience than singing and whistling "Always look on the bright side of life" with strangers as you start to exit the arena?
Adrian had problems also on Saturday. Strange...

I’ve been watching the videos of Hell on Earth live. Stunning. I’m not sure how I’ll be able to remain dry-eyed during this one. Whenever I play it at home, my daughter sits on my lap and listens to it. She occasionally does a little dance as well! It’s such an emotional song, and it stirs so many feelings. Plus, it could very well be the last Maiden song.

I’ve already bawled slightly at a Maiden gig before. During the ‘Ascending the throne’ section of Book of Souls in 2017 (funny that!).

I'm waiting to see some venue specific tour shirts with SIT Eddie on them... I have a feeling the O2 Arena In London will have one for sure...

Guitars live:

Adrian:
green Jackson - CSIT, SIASL, DOFP, Prisoner, Celts, Alexander, Hell On Earth, Trooper, Wasted Years.
white/black Jackson - TWOTW (plus acoustic guitar), HCW, CIPWM.
black Les Paul - Time Machine, Fear Of The Dark, Iron Maiden.

Dave:
new white Strat - CSIT, SIASL, Prisoner, Celts, Alexander, Fear Of The Dark, Iron Maiden, Hell On Earth, Trooper, Wasted Years.
signature sunburst Strat - TWOTW, DOFP, HCW, CIPWM, Iron Maiden.

Janick:
black Strat - CSIT, Prisoner, Celts, Alexander, Hell On Earth.
white Strat - SIASL, TWOTW, DOFP, HCW, CIPWM, Fear Of The Dark, Iron Maiden.
cream Strat - Wasted Years.
sunburst Strat - Time Machine (plus acoustic guitar), Trooper.

Janick and Dave are using their white Strats more than their main guitars over the years!

Guitars live:

Adrian:
green Jackson - CSIT, SIASL, DOFP, Prisoner, Celts, Alexander, Hell On Earth, Trooper, Wasted Years.
white/black Jackson - TWOTW (plus acoustic guitar), HCW, CIPWM.
black Les Paul - Time Machine, Fear Of The Dark, Iron Maiden.

Dave:
new white Strat - CSIT, SIASL, Prisoner, Celts, Alexander, Fear Of The Dark, Iron Maiden, Hell On Earth, Trooper, Wasted Years.
signature sunburst Strat - TWOTW, DOFP, HCW, CIPWM, Iron Maiden.

Janick:
black Strat - CSIT, Prisoner, Celts, Alexander, Hell On Earth.
white Strat - SIASL, TWOTW, DOFP, HCW, CIPWM, Fear Of The Dark, Iron Maiden.
cream Strat - Wasted Years.
sunburst Strat - Time Machine (plus acoustic guitar), Trooper.

Janick and Dave are using their white Strats more than their main guitars over the years!
Not entirely correct...

Dave used California Series strat on FOTD and IM in Ljubljana, but has since switched to the new strat on those 2 songs.

Janick is using the sunburst Fender Strat on Time Machine (presumably in drop-D), while he is using the sunburst Sandberg on Trooper. Iron Maiden is the White Spirit Strat, while Wasted Years is the cream Strat (both wireless).

Also, Adrian's Les Paul is in drop-D on all songs he uses it on. Both Jacksons are in their normal tunings. The white drop-D one is again the 2nd prototype with chipped pickguard, while the 1st prototype is probably used as spare (this is the case since LOTB ).

Last edited:
I’ve been watching the videos of Hell on Earth live. Stunning. I’m not sure how I’ll be able to remain dry-eyed during this one. Whenever I play it at home, my daughter sits on my lap and listens to it. She occasionally does a little dance as well! It’s such an emotional song, and it stirs so many feelings. Plus, it could very well be the last Maiden song.
Yeah, it's a very emotional song. I just knew it was popular/strong enough to be the encore opener. I was wondering, if the song was written (let's say) in 2006, if it would have become a live staple despite its length? I'm really curious to know if Steve can top it. That's not an easy task.

Maybe someone can answer my stupid question. Polish currency is zloty. Will I be able to buy Maiden merch in the arena for euros, or all money transactions will be only in zloty?

Adrian had problems also on Saturday. Strange...
What's with all those sound issues lately?
The Bergen show will be the first outdoor one of the tour, will be interesting to see how it differs from the previous shows
If it is in daylight, the light show and screens will be much weaker.
I'm waiting to see some venue specific tour shirts with SIT Eddie on them... I have a feeling the O2 Arena In London will have one for sure...
I want brand new artwork with both SIT and SJ Eddies (individually) since we didn't get ones from the backdrops on this tour. Futuristic world and castle in grasslands, please!

I couldn't help but almost got to my feelings on saturday, when they played Hell On Earth.
The beginning and then once the song starts rolling at 2:19...it got little wet eyes.
I thought about the meaning of Maiden, as it has been there for such a long time.
This might be their final tour and final recorded song..who knows.
Probably and most likely not final but it kept creeping in my mind.
I want more and hope to see them atleast few times.

The whole night was special, great show and I enjoyed a lot.
The whole day was great and my absolute highlight was meeting Adrian.

I honestly believe we have one studio album left. The band sound fantastic on this tour, but with Nicko's condition, I don't anticipate much more future touring for him. So unless a paradigm shift happens where he does only studio work and a session drummer fills in live, I see them calling it quits between now and five years.

And that said, that's ok. The band has gone from strength to strength to strength in a half century of time. No band can claim to have aged as gracefully as Maiden.

I honestly believe we have one studio album left. The band sound fantastic on this tour, but with Nicko's condition, I don't anticipate much more future touring for him. So unless a paradigm shift happens where he does only studio work and a session drummer fills in live, I see them calling it quits between now and five years.

And that said, that's ok. The band has gone from strength to strength to strength in a half century of time. No band can claim to have aged as gracefully as Maiden.
I also think there has to be one final album and maybe 1-2 tours. What an amazing career and legacy, they surely have left their own mark.

I'll even go as far as to say they'll be in the studio this winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back