The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clearly this will be the next source of controversy that will now permeate the YouTube comments of literally every video from the tour. How dare Maiden use modeling amps instead of the real thing! I paid good money for my ticket and all I got were fake guitar sounds made by a computer!

Clearly this will be the next source of controversy that will now permeate the YouTube comments of literally every video from the tour. How dare Maiden use modeling amps instead of the real thing! I paid good money for my ticket and all I got were fake guitar sounds made by a computer!
Nah. It sounds great.

What buggs me more is that Janick updated the rack, but kept that paleozoik-age Cornish switching system and the JFX units, which are terrible for the signal clarity (and were already 13 years ago).

Dave has been great so far. And that's a massive surprise to me because he has been very sloppy and uninspired the last 5-10 years.

This. I've said before they could very well change the setlist a good bit if they wanted to for a large US audience.

I REALLY hope they don’t change their set just for N.A! At this point in their career they shouldn’t pander to an audience like that. I hope they stick to their guns and have a more ‘we’re Maiden, where the fuck you been?’ attitude.

If they wheel out RTTH and Number- I would be disappointed in them a bit. I wouldn’t say ‘lose respect’ but I would feel like that is below them at this point. Same way playing all of AMOLAD on their N.A tour… same deal. They have the cred by now to do as they wish and seeing a deep cut heavy tour like this is a statement. If they change it for PT it just seems inauthentic.

Last edited:
I REALLY hope they don’t change their set just for N.A! At this point in their career they shouldn’t pander to an audience like that. I hope they stick to their guns and have a more ‘we’re Maiden, where the fuck you been?’ attitude.

If they wheel out RTTH and Number- I would be disappointed in them a bit. I wouldn’t say ‘lose respect’ but I would feel like that is below them at this point. Same way playing all of AMOLAD on their N.A tour… same deal. They have the cred by now to do as they wish and seeing a deep cut heavy tour like this is a statement. If they change it for PT it just seems inauthentic.
There's plenty of great songs on this tour. Nothing to worry about. Literally the only one that could need changing is Celts (selfishly I just want futureal instead) and it would probably be changed for something like TNOTB like you said

If they’re gonna replace Death of Celts for the N.A leg, then I would replace it with three shorter songs: Stratego, Wrathchild and Still Life.

Just sayin' if they do something like that, this would be the time. They would go back to current setlist for the proper North/South American 2024, with adding The Parchment, of course :D

Janick is sounding really good, taking those first lead melodies in Hell on Earth. Then at the end, it is him and Adrian combined.

Maybe a tour like this will fuel the Janick bashing a little bit more again though, like The Early Days Tour and Somewhere Back in Time Tour, but there's room for him as well.

While not to mention that a lot of the 80's studio material had more than three guitars fighting in the mix as well. But many people don't get that.

Last edited:
Some tour trivia:

- LED screens for the first time.
- debuting a song that has never been played live before.
- for the first time Hallowed, Beast and Hills are omitted on the same tour. The last times Hallowed wasn't played was in 2017 and in 2012-2014, while the last time Beast wasn't played was in 2006.
- for the first time they use 4 Eddies (one big and 3 walk-ons). Also, for the first time we have both big and walk-on Eddie during Iron Maiden.
- for the first time a walk-on Eddie appears during the 2nd song in the set.
- for the first time the big Eddie is with one prominent colour.
- this is only the 2nd album tour (so far) not to feature a Powerslave song since DOD tour in 2003/2004.
- the band play 3 new album songs in a row (Writing-Days-Time) for the 10th time (2022, 2006/2007, 2000/2001, 1995/1996, 1990/1991, 1984 (with Losfer Words), 1983, 1982, 1981 and 1980).
- for the first time they don't use a backdrop with only Eddie (or the album cover) from the new album.
- Fear Of The Dark album cover returns as the backdrop for the song for the first time since 1993.
- Prisoner's backdrop is a real place.
- the ''futuristic world'' backdrop contains the following details: many Japanese insricptions, parts of Pagodas roof, 23:58, Trooper IPA, Ruskin Arms and a neon octopus.
- Days Of Future Past & Time Machine backdrop contains the following details: the date the band was formed, the release date of Senjutsu, the release date of Somewhere In Time, 666, 23-58, the backgrounds from SJ (gatefold artwork) and SIT covers and the tour poster in the middle.
- Hell On Earth is the first new song to be in the encores since Journeyman in 2003/2004.
- Trooper is played in the encores for the 5th time after 2022, 1998, 1995/1996 and 1992/1993.
- Heaven Can Wait was played without fans on stage for the first time ever.
- Wasted Years is used as an encore closer for the 2nd time after TBOS tour.
- There are 4 acoustic guitars on stage (Writing, Time Machine, Celts, Hell On Earth) for Steve, Adrian and Janick. The most for one tour.
- Bruce is not wearing his traditional costume for Trooper for the first time since 2018/2019. Also, no flag on stage for the first time since 1999.

Last edited:
I wish Steve had played the acoustic like the studio version on Death of the Celts. I think he used the acoustic until the solo section on the studio version.

And does Janick follow the vocal line in more songs than originally? Time Machine and Death of the Celts maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back