The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just sayin' if they do something like that, this would be the time.
Yes. And the 2nd leg. If they change something this year I think it will be CIPWM for NOTB. As for Celts, the ''play classics'' crowd should enjoy it with its Clansman vibe.
I wish Steve had played the acoustic like the studio version on Death of the Celts. I think he used the acoustic until the solo section on the studio version.

And does Janick follow the vocal line in more songs than originally? Time Machine and Death of the Celts maybe?
I think so. It's cool either way imo.

Janick plays all the leads in the longer new songs and along with Adrian for some parts (verse melody for Time Machine, the main melodic riff for Celts and the melody at the end for Hell On Earth).

I wish Steve had played the acoustic like the studio version on Death of the Celts. I think he used the acoustic until the solo section on the studio version.

And does Janick follow the vocal line in more songs than originally? Time Machine and Death of the Celts maybe?
Yeah, that was something I appreciated a lot about the studio version of DOTC, which made it kinda unique. There are a few songs by now that feature an acoustic bass, but it's always either for intros/outros, or for clean verses or something. Usually as soon as distorted guitars kick in, Steve changes to his electric bass. On DOTC he stays with the acoustic for a good while. Live he does it as he's traditionally done, changing with the distorted guitars.

While not to mention that a lot of the 80's studio material had more than three guitars fighting in the mix as well. But many people don't get that.
Adrian is the reason why the 3 guitar lineup works. From a Guitar World interview: “So when I first joined up [with Maiden in 1999], we played Wrathchild, I played it in drop-D tuning. Run to the Hills was in D, so again, I tuned it down. It gave it a slightly different sound. I was bringing that in, playing lower octaves on the harmonies and stuff like that. So I played a lot of stuff totally different to what I did when I was in the band before, which is quite interesting. Janick’s a lovely guy. But I have to say you know Jan wasn't going to change what he was going to play. He's very set in his ways. I sensed that immediately, so I started looking at different ways of doing things." Like Adrian says, three guitars have improved alot of the classic songs. Rock In Rio, Death on the Road, Flight 666 and En Vivo are my go to live albums. To the point where Live After Death and Live at Donnington sounds odd to me. His isolated Rock in Rio audio really shows how he rearranged the classics. His rhytm guitar playing on Sign of the Cross and Fear of the Dark really adds another diemension to those songs!

Janick is sounding really good, taking those first lead melodies in Hell on Earth. Then at the end, it is him and Adrian combined.

Maybe a tour like this will fuel the Janick bashing a little bit more again though, like The Early Days Tour and Somewhere Back in Time Tour, but there's room for him as well.

While not to mention that a lot of the 80's studio material had more than three guitars fighting in the mix as well. But many people don't get that.
I hate Janick bashing. He’s a really valuable contributor to the band and an entertaining performer. Yes I like the prancing, I LOVE the prancing. Can’t wait to see him dance and prance again.

I hate Janick bashing. He’s a really valuable contributor to the band and an entertaining performer. Yes I like the prancing, I LOVE the prancing. Can’t wait to see him dance and prance again.
And I danced, and I pranced, and I sang with them, all had death in their eyes
- Janick gives an account of performing for PlayClassics! audiences.
;)

2: We've had five new songs premiered on this particular tour. I'm curious what crowd reception is to these new songs.
Alexander and Hell On Earth - amazing reception.
Death Of The Celts - ok reception, the instrumental section is probably enjoying for the fans.
The Time Machine - good reaction, great during the instrumental section.
Days Of Future Past - good too, the crowd enjoys Adrian's opening riff, the chorus and the middle part. A short rocker is also very good live.
This is also probably the most deep cut heavy set we've had since 2006, if not ever.
True.
3: There's a lot of Nicko talk, but how about some of the other members? Seems like this is a really Adrian heavy show solo wise, but I'm also curious about the solo moments for the other guitar players. CSIT actually has one of my favorite Murray solos - how's he doing on it?
All three of them are great. Adrian is the star of the show. Dave plays his SIT solos very close to the originals, his other solos are also on point. He is impressive. Janick's solo for Hell On Earth is brutal live, Time Machine is on point and he improvises a bit with his difficult Celts solo and with the HCW solo, ofc.
With all those great songs and with most of the parts he plays live during the epic, no one can deny his contribution!

My take on how difficult each of the songs is for Harris to play:
  1. "Caught Somewhere in Time" - fairly easy for the left (fretting) hand, brutally tough for the right (plucking) hand. This is one of the hardest galloping songs in the band's catalogue due to its length.
  2. "Stranger in a Strange Land" - easy. It's not a surprise they wanted a "breather" after CSIT. Harris's solo is melodic, but not technically difficult.
  3. "The Writing on the Wall" - easy (but fun!)
  4. "Days of Future Past" - easy
  5. "The Time Machine" - the breakdown is a bit tricky, but otherwise straightforward
  6. "The Prisoner" - a bit trickier than the past few songs, but generally straightforward
  7. "Death of the Celts" - difficult. The song is long, there's the logistical challenge of switching from acoustic to electric (and back), and a few of the riffs during the long instrumental section are technically complex.
  8. "Can I Play With Madness" - not too difficult, but tougher than it sounds
  9. "Heaven Can Wait" - this one is tough. Harris is playing an actual melody with chords (not just power chords for emphasis) during the intro. And although it's buried deep in the mix, what he's playing underneath the guitar solos is fast and tricky.
  10. "Alexander the Great" - like with "Hallowed", although this is one of their greatest songs, it's very much guitar driven. Easy (and not particularly interesting) on bass.
  11. "Fear of the Dark" - easy
  12. "Iron Maiden" - easy
  13. "Hell on Earth" - despite Harris using seemingly all of his techniques in this song, it's not too difficult. Nothing challenging from a technical perspective. The main obstacles would be switching instruments, and getting the timing of the transition right at the end of the intro.
  14. "The Trooper" - not difficult, but it's tough to a play a fast galloping song this late in a gig
  15. "Wasted Years" - fairly straightforward to play (despite the bass having some fun and prominent sections)
Overall, this isn't an overly difficult setlist for Harris. The two biggest challenges would be the opening song, "DOTC", and "Heaven Can Wait". The challenging material has been spaced out. (For what it's worth, the only mistake I've heard of him making was during "ATG", when Dickinson distracted him by putting on that helmet).

Last edited:
My take on how difficult

(For what it's worth, the only mistake I've heard of him making was during "ATG", when Dickinson distracted him by putting on that helmet).

This after the show probably resulted in:

Mission from 'Arry 2: Role swap:

'Arry to Bruce: "DONT. EVER. DO. THAT. AGAIN."
Nicko to 'Arry: "That's crazy. What if he was trying to show you that a lighting truss is going to fall on your head?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back