The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding mistakes I am quite certain Nicko messed up The Red and the Black on the opening night of TBOS.

Are you asking me if I believe that Steve Harris is the legal owner of the brand Iron Maiden and decides who is part of it? Is this a serious question?
I think you are confusing legalities with realities. Nobody is discussing the legal structure of the band. We are talking about the creative entity Iron Maiden, and that is a band that is the sum of its parts. All of these band members have been in the band 30+ years. You can't replace 3 members and expect the fanbase (you obviously excluded) to go along with it at this point in their careers. Other than creative/performance/whatever aspects, each member also contribute credibility and legitimacy.

Nobody is discussing the legal structure of the band.
I was? lol. You wanted Maiden members to play Maiden material. Sorry to let you know, but Steve decides who is a Iron Maiden member, not you. More than half of the people that recorded IM, Killers and The Number of the Beast are not in the band but doesn't stop you from enjoying that material live more than 40 years later.
I think you are confusing legalities with realities.
I simply stated that Steve decides who is in the band. Steve decided Blaze wasn't good enough and asked Bruce back. I'm sure Steve could make a similar decision again!

I was? lol. Feel free not to involve yourself in the discussion if it doesn't intrest you!

I simply stated that Steve decides who is in the band. Steve decided Blaze wasn't good enough and asked Bruce back. I'm sure Steve could make a similar decision again!
As you can see by PermanentEddie's reply, he isn't talking about owership either. And even if he was (he is not), then we have strayed off point. What I and others are arguing is that the band is so cemented at this point that any member changes would lack creative legitimacy.

any member changes would lack creative legitimacy.
Compared to what? Nickos creative legitimacy? Are you talking about New Frontier? Obsessing over individual members like this is more for boy band fans. Adrian Smith arguably wrote some of the best material the band ever produced and even he was replaced for 10 years. Sure, the band barley survived, but I don't see that happening if Nicko departs from the band.

Compared to what? Nickos creative legitimacy? Are you talking about New Frontier? Obsessing over individual members like this is more for boy band fans. Adrian Smith arguably wrote some of the best material the band ever produced and even he was replaced for 10 years. Sure, the band barley survived, but I don't see that happening if Nicko departs from the band.
The key difference here is that they are in their late twilight years, after a consistent lineup for 24 years. It's 2 minutes 2 midnight at this point. Lose a member? Then retire altogether. That's what they have been saying for 10 years anyway.

The key difference here is that they are in their late twilight years, after a consistent lineup for 24 years. It's 2 minutes 2 midnight at this point.
I've witnessed far to many bands with consistent lineups change members to believe that Iron Maiden would not. This is one of the most requested touring entities in the world right now and most of the band members all in excellent form!
Lose a member? Then retire altogether. That's what they have been saying for 10 years anyway.
Source?

I was? lol. You wanted Maiden members to play Maiden material. Sorry to let you know, but Steve decides who is a Iron Maiden member, not you. More than half of the people that recorded IM, Killers and The Number of the Beast are not in the band but doesn't stop you from enjoying that material live more than 40 years later.

I really don't know in which "reality" you might be living but for sure it ain't the one we all are...Steve decides who is in the band or not? I'm not sure it's that simple. For sure he might have the final word and probably not everyone in the band has the same input but lets say if one day he wakes up and feels like firing Nicko or Janick...it won't be like "oh ok Steve, perfect, your band, your decision, we just have to shut up and behave like the hired guns we are...". It might have been true in the early days of the band but nowadays there is no way it's like this...oh and btw it wasn't Steve's idea to fire Blaze if you know Maiden's history pretty well, he was probably the most against it among all members.

You may or may not like Nicko and his performances nowadays but - again - he's part of the Maiden sound for 40 years. Its true his name doesn't appear on song credits (apart from the one we all know) but do you know how they work when they create a song? I'm sure he gives his ideas and has his input and as far as I can remember Steve even said that during writing and recording process, he's the one he has the most "fights" with because simply Nicko gives his ideas as well, he's not just an "hired gun" that just plays what he's asked to...and this is almost as important as having his name attached to a song!

One last thing when I spoke about simplifed drumming and backing tracks it was just to state the fact that I rather have Nicko playing just what is needed to carry on the song than having something (or someone else) instead to play it "perfectly"

I really don't know in which "reality" you might be living
In the reality in which Steve Harris owns the band Iron Maiden :)
Steve decides who is in the band or not? I'm not sure it's that simple.
visible.jpg

btw it wasn't Steve's idea to fire Blaze
So Steve wanted to keep touring with Blaze but the evil man Rod Smallwood forced Bruce band into the band against Steves will? Literally everyone wanted to fire Blaze in 98.
You may or may not like Nicko and his performances nowadays
He is doing okay right now, but I was there in the 90's during the Blaze tours. I'd rather go through a lineup change than a declining performance/no Maiden at all.
One last thing when I spoke about simplifed drumming and backing tracks it was just to state the fact that I rather have Nicko playing just what is needed to carry on the song than having something (or someone else) instead to play it "perfectly"
It might sound crazy but to many older fans Maiden isn't really the band for someone who wants a stable line-up. I'm coming from a time where Steve never hesitated to replace key members like Burr or Smith. We've been very lucky over the past 24 years!

Indeed. It's actually crazy to think that a band who still play up to 100 shows per tour wouldn't make mistakes from time to time.
It seems like this time they actually needed more rehearsals. I mean, how can they justify rehearsing for a week in the same venue they were to play at and even rehearsing/soundcheck on the same day they actually play the gig and STILL have sound problems and commit so many errors?

View attachment 27408

So Steve wanted to keep touring with Blaze but the evil man Rod Smallwood forced Bruce band into the band against Steves will? Literally everyone wanted to fire Blaze in 98.

He is doing okay right now, but I was there in the 90's during the Blaze tours. I'd rather go through a lineup change than a declining performance/no Maiden at all.

It might sound crazy but to many older fans Maiden isn't really the band for someone who wants a stable line-up. I'm coming from a time where Steve never hesitated to replace key members like Burr or Smith. We've been very lucky over the past 24 years!
I ain't going into details now but you're definitely wrong with the "everyone wanted to fire Blaze in 98" thing

I never spoke about ownership and once again not sure it's 100% Steve's. He owns the name but for all band's decisions, without saying it's 100% democratic (which is not and may never be in any band), I'm sure most of the members and first of all Bruce, have their word to say.
View attachment 27408

Where did I say that??? I just said that Steve was the one that needed to be convinced...probably because he was the closest to Blaze and felt it was some kind of betrayal. The others (specially Rod) just made him see that they couldn't continue that way. So maybe final decision was Steve's but he didn't take the decision all by himself. I'm sure if all of the others wanted Blaze to stay in the band, he would...

This is where we disagree I believe. Maybe 30-35 years ago, I'd agree. Nowadays with the little time left and specially with a member like Nicko that has been in the band for 40 years, firing him...no way. And it's true as well that in many interviews, Steve stated the fact that with this line up if one member leaves, it would be the end...of course it this was around 85-90 even 95, it would have been different.
It's just that I'd rather have an average performance from the "true" members of Maiden than having a stellar performance but with...hired guns only! For this there are a lot of tribute bands out there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back