The Final Frontier Reviews Thread

Agreed. I've reviewed albums on several different websites for years and I have NEVER reviewed an album on one or two listens. You have to live with the albums for a period of time.

I love the album!  :wub:
Seriously, it's awesome. I don't know why some fans don't want Maiden to evolve and grow and instead play the same old fucking 4 minute songs. Shit, chill out. Maiden are not playing for you, they're playing for themselves  :)

LordMaiden said:
"The main problem is that the band has struggled to make a truly memorable song on this album."

This guy is an idiot.

Yeah, 'cause anyone with a differing opinion is automatically moronic.

Satellite 15... The Final Frontier: I LOOOOOOOOVE this song! The first 4 minutes is pure :wub: :wub: :wub: for me. Everyone dislikes it.... except for me! This is coming from a guy who also loves Pink Floyd (not as much as I do for Maiden), so it's VERY prog. rocky in the intro. My favourite part is when it gets quite, the guitar does tiny fills, and then that damn chord comes striking down and Bruce starts singing. VERY awesome. Then of course, there's the other half... It's a pretty decent rocker! I actually LIKE the chorus of, "The Final Frontier! The Final Frontttieeeeer!" This would be an AMAZING live track with everyone singing.

9.5/10

El Dorado: Ugh, I've heard this song so many times. Good rocker, awesome solo, VERY good breakdown. In my opinion it stretches just a teensy bit too long, but that's okay.

8/10

Mother of Mercy: Another song where I'm the only one who likes this song a lot. People say it's very AMOLAD-y, the thing is, I don't like AMOLAD that much... strange. The chorus is AWESOME and the guitar work is AWESOME.

8.5/10

Coming Home: Now, I'm going to say something insane; I don't like this song that much... The intro is pretty solid, the chorus is solid also, the song though... I just don't care that much. It's pretty standard... God, I feel really WEIRD saying this, I feel the exact opposite than most of you guys... sorry, but this is a

7/10

The Alchemist: Ooh, another pretty good rocker! A very 'Trooper' feeling to it. I have to say, when I hear "and this is my house!" I laugh a bit... mostly because of an inside joke... It's still great though!

8/10

Isle of Avalon: PROG-GALORE! I didn't like this the first listen, oh boy, I was wrong. I was wondering why everyone liked this so much, and then it struck me across the face and kicked me in the balls. It's fucking AMAZING. The intro is so haunting, everything about it is! Though, when you really concentrate, I feel like it repeats some parts a bit too much. VERY good.

9/10

Starblind: Another song I didn't like the first listen, yet again, I was wrong. I also love this song! Not as much as the others, it's still great! Very nice guitar, someone's tabbed this out already and I'm learning it now. :)

8/10

The Talisman:
Jesiff said:
Does anyone else get this feeling in the intro....
Kind of like a drinking song?
Example: When this song is played live, I feel like clapping very slowly, then going faster and faster and faster until I'm going full speed. Maybe I'm weird and I just get that feeling...
I'm saying this right now; when they play Toronto, and IF they play this song... I WILL do the above, and if the audience follows... God I'll be happy.
Ahahaha... Yeah... That's exactly how I feel in the intro. People complained about the intro... I LOVEEE the intro. It has kind of a catchiness to it... I'm not sure how to put this, but you can basically predict how the melody will go, and it's just VERY good. This song is very reminiscent of BNW, which is GOOD! The part after the intro reminds of Ghost of the Navigator. :)

9/10

The Man Who Would Be King:
Jesiff said:
I was super excited for this song when I first read the title when they announced the track listing. I was a tad bit disappointed to be honest... Though, since I'm on my 8th listen, and paying more attention to the lyrics (when you play guitar, you tend to focus on the guitar and not on the overall song), they're truly haunting. I'm starting to like this more and more each day. :)
Yep. That's about my review... probably my least favourite song. Though, the part at 7:26 or so where Bruce is going "Ohhhhh ohhhh uh-oh!" with the guitar, God, that is AWEEEEESOOOOOME!

7/10

When The Wild Wind Blows: Amazing intro, VERY good riff and structure to it. Absolutely AMAZING lyrics, the guitar work is FANTASTIC, the structure is INCREDIBLE. This is the Steve epic we've been waiting for!

9.3/10

Aha, my little review... Hope you guys like me. Don't hate me too much though. :(

Jesiff said:
Aha, my little review... Hope you guys like me. Don't hate me too much though. :(

I think it was a good review, and even though I don't agree with you completely I don't understand why I should hate you.

I'm going to be a little different and as well as giving ratings, I'll try and sum with a few words the feeling I get from each song.

Satellite 15... - 8.5 - Oppressive as all hell.
The Final Frontier - 8.5 - Desperation coupled with calm reflection.
El Dorado - 7.5 - Excitement with a sense of the sinister.
Mother of Mercy - 9 - Dark and brooding.
Coming Home - 9 - Deep and reflective.
The Alchemist - 8.5 - Anger and retribution (on the part of John Dee)
Isle of Avalon - 9 - Mystic and eerie.
Starblind - 9.5 - Vast and overwhelming.
The Talisman - 9.5 - Dangerous and thrilling.
The Man Who Would Be King - 9.5 - Majestic and grandiose.
When The Wild Wind Blows - 9.5 - Poignant and moving.

Don't know how well that will come across. Take from it what you will  ;)
And ratings are, of course, liable to change.

GuineaPig said:
Yeah, 'cause anyone with a differing opinion is automatically moronic.

I already explained why I said that.

Oh, I get it. You haven't had anything good to say about the album, so of course my little comment automatically warrants a reaction.

LordMaiden said:
I already explained why I said that.

Oh, I get it. You haven't had anything good to say about the album, so of course my little comment automatically warrants a reaction.
Your explanation boiled down to the exact same thing.  He said that in his opinion there weren't any memorable songs.  You said that he was an idiot for thinking that.  It's only different opinions.

And I like the album too.  It's just that you don't have to be such a fanboy about it that you trash anyone who provides a negative remark on even the smallest thing.  Like that "idiot" who gave an album he liked a B+.

GuineaPig said:
Your explanation boiled down to the exact same thing.  He said that in his opinion there weren't any memorable songs.  You said that he was an idiot for thinking that.  It's only different opinions.

Yup. I also said I thought it was one of their most memorable albums. That dude can feel free to call me an idiot too, whatever. I'm just not going to give high praise to an album and say there's nothing memorable about it at the same time. That would make me sound like an idiot.

GuineaPig said:
It's just that you don't have to be such a fanboy about it that you trash anyone who provides a negative remark on even the smallest thing.  Like that "idiot" who gave an album he liked a B+.

I have no problem being a Maiden fanboy on a forum dedicated to Maiden fans.

GuineaPig said:
And I like the album too.

"I don't think Bruce's performance is all that good."

"I'm afraid to say that the H's main solo in this song is probably the worst he's ever done."

"I don't like the middle section.  Very jarring and out of place."

"I'd disagree.  I'd say he sounds really strained on some of the higher verses."

Yeah, funny how I so did not get the impression you liked it. But if you say you do, I believe it. And I won't think of you as an idiot either way.

Machiventa said:
Read that this morning. Completely disagree on the Starblind and Talisman comments. Those are two of the best tracks on there IMO.
Agreed. These 2 songs are amazing. "The album could do without these 2 "????!!!!????WTH ?????? :eek: :S

I definitely gave Starblind a miss the first few times through the album. It took awhile to grow on me, and it very much has.

Back