The Final Frontier Reviews Thread

I'm sorry, but that reviewer calling AMOLAD "insipid" repeatedly really irritated me. That album is many things, but insipid is definitely not one of them.

Consensus is all over the place from non Maiden sites.  The biggest complaint I keep reading is how it's more of the same.  Which, according to you lot (still haven't heard it yet) isn't the case at all.

It's more of the same in the sense that yes, it is clearly Iron Maiden.  But it's about as different as X Factor was when it first came out.

Song-by–song impression after repeated listenings. Overall review to come later.

Satellite 15: Like the idea and the atmosphere, but there’s not enough substance there to hold my interest for four minutes. But I gotta say it sets the mood very nicely as we kick into what comes next though. 7.5/10

Final Frontier: It’s just a wicked straight-ahead simple rock song. Great riff, great solos, great melody. It could slide easily into any 1980s album as one of the highlight rockers. 9.5/10

El Dorado: An intro that grabs your attention immediately, great chorus, kickass rhythms and a brilliant lyric. It’s a latter-day 2 Minutes to Midnight. 9/10

Mother of Mercy: Love the light opening riff and the darker melody in the verses — they could work as a melancholy pop single, and I mean that as a compliment. Tasteful performances by the band. If the chorus measured up to the rest of the song it would be an all-time classic. Can’t think of another song like it in the Maiden arsenal and I like a lot. 9/10

Coming Home: Another killer melody in the verse and this time oh what a chorus. May be Bruce’s best vocal performance on record. I guess it’s a ballad, but it is much too heartfelt to ever be confused with an ‘80s arena rock song. Give Shirley credit for keeping it real. 9/10

The Alchemist: This is vintage Powerslave-era Maiden, straight-ahead but not simple — guitar harmonies, cool old-school lyric, nice melody. Janick tosses in a deliciously sloppy solo. 9/10

Isle of Avalon: An interesting left turn. Moody, atmospheric music, with a lyric to match. Complicated, with some great playing, reminiscent of Rush. There’s a lot going on here and I don’t think I’ve fully grasped this one’s brilliance yet. Album’s too new and I’ve been too distracted by other songs. Have a feeling the ranking will be higher in a month or two. 8.5/10

Starblind: In the same vein as Avalon, but heavier. I’ve heard people apply “psychedelic” and “jazzy” to it. If that means stellar playing and unconventional arrangements, they’re right. Technically brilliant, but kickass as well. 9/10

The Talisman: Take the best traditional Maiden elements from the Alchemist and the heavy prog elements from Starblind and you get the Talisman. One of those great Maiden tracks where the music and lyrics combine to create epic imagery. Only flaw is the acoustic intro goes on too long. 9.5/10.

The Man Who Would be King: This is a song of great parts that have not yet quite come together as a unit for me. I’m willing to give it time. 8/10.

When the Wild Wind Blows: Paraphrasing from my earlier post on the WTWWB thread “… destined for home high atop my Maiden monument. I’m talking Hallowed-be-thy-Pashcen-f-ing-dale-level awesomeness — real, honest-to-Christ chills. It’s different than anything they’ve ever done, yet unmistakably Maiden. 10/10.

This was a review I posted on another board, after two complete listens.  I would give TFF a higher rating now, I'd move Coming Home way up, and Mother Mercy would probably now become my least favourite on the album.  Also some of the lyrics are wrong just because I was doing my best to hear everything haha, but I failed.

Satellite 15...  The Final Frontier:
It's actually 2 songs...  The intro and then the one we all know as the first single.  The intro is completely different from anything Maiden has done.  It's pretty experimental, and I think it has a sludge/industrial vibe to it.  The song is much better as a whole, but obviously wouldn't work as a single with the intro.  Operates nicely though.  After the intro it's a quick straight rock single we've become accustomed to from Maiden over the last 10 years.  Uplifting.  Sounds like they're using this 'death in space' analogy to represent their age and how they're just about ready to move on.  With lyrics like, "Do more in my life then some do in 10/I'd go back and do it all over again/for I have lived my life to the full/I have no regrets/but I wish I could talk to my family/and tell them that one last goodbye...  The final frontier."  Really sounds like they're saying, "That's all folks.  We're in our golden years, we need to spend it with our families, but we might come back again.  Don't count us out completely."

6/10.

El Dorado:
Some people have bitched about this song.  I actually think it sounds a lot like something off Powerslave.  It's got that classic galloping beat that made Maiden famous.  Bruce is ripping it, and the instruments are tight.  I really like this song.  I love the melodies and the vocal work.  The bassline is faint at parts, but I think it's one of my favourite parts.  The guitars are angry and Nicko is working everything he has to keep this going.  It's just as bitter and angry as '2 Minutes to Midnight.'

7/10.

Mother of Mercy:
The album is starting to get serious.  That guitar intro is up there with anything they've done.  Could easily have been on A Matter of Life and Death.  A pretty sad song:

"Mother of Mercy -
Angel of death's desire...
Mother of Mercy -
Taking my last breath - the fire!
Mother of Mercy -
Angel of pain...
Mother of Mercy -
Drawing my last breath

I'm just a lonely soldier --
fighting in a bloody, hopeless war.
Don't know what I'm fighting, who it is,
or what I'm fighting for.
Thought it was for money;
made my fortune,
now I'm not so sure...
Seem to just have lost my way."

I loved A Matter of Life and Death and I love this song.  It's just so tight musically.  What's nice is that they've found a way to balance killer choruses with live anthem vibes and music.  I think this was something they suffered with on their last three albums.  They were killer albums, but they sometimes dragged because of overbearing choruses.  So far that hasn't been an issue on this album and it truly keeps this song tight.

7/10.

Coming Home:
I don't remember the last time Bruce sounded this honest.  It's a pretty good ballad.  I don't like it as much as some people do.  I think it suffers from muddy production, but that could be the quality of file I currently have.  I don't think it stands up next to a ballad like Face In The Sand (I consider it a ballad).  This is another song that I thing lends itself to the idea that Maiden grow tired and old.  It seems to speak of travel around the globe and how "coming home" is something that gets sweeter and sweeter every time they return.  Bruce does give a killer performance.  I think it could grow on me, but I do know it'll be a killer live track.

"Coming home!
When I see the runway lights.
In the misty dawn -- the night is fading fast!
Coming home!
Far away as the vapor trails align.
Where I've been tonight,
You know I will not stay...
Coming home!
Far away when I see the runway lights.
In the misty dawn -- the night is fading fast!
Coming home!
Far away as the vapor trails align.
Where I've been tonight,
you know I will not stay..."

It really reminds me of some of their better stuff from the early 90's (lets be honest, the 1990s weren't always generous to Maiden...  Really hit or miss), but I think this is strong as hell.

7/10.

The Alchemist:
My understanding is that this track was put in last minute as Janick Gers noticed they didn't have a true hard rock song on the album.  He wanted to make something pretty quick and fast paced.  As a result, we have something that sounds like something from Number of the Beast/Piece of Mind era Maiden.  It is fucking killer.  It's a lot of fun, and it's nice to see Maiden kind of be a little more upbeat.  It sounds like a real homage (without being a parody) to their older stuff.  This is when the album really start to hit its stride and from here on out, I don't think it really lulls.  Man this song is fun.  It kind of goes to show that Maiden can still do what they used too, and I feel bad for fans who really adored their older stuff, but at least you've got this.

8/10.

Isle of Avalon:
This has a weird vibe to it.  It's kind of like Rime of the Ancient Mariner, but it's kind of not at the same time.  The intro is very 'Rime', but it does kind of go into its own thing pretty quickly.  It eventually starts to sound like something Maiden has never done before.  It's very new, and unique to them.

"I hear her crying -
the tears of an Angel.
For voices are here in my head."

I love that line haha.  Maiden's back into doing that weird story telling shenanigans they were strong for before their recent ventures into more serious matters.  I mean, there's still that seriousness in this album, but it's really great to hear them step away from that more often.  Aside from Benjamin Breeg and The Pilgrim you didn't have that feeling in A Matter of Life and Death.  The guitar solo is one of the best guitar solos I have heard from Maiden in years.  Pretty sure it's all Adrian Smith.

"Mother Earth,
I can hear you!
Sacrifice!
Now united!"

"Mother Earth,
I can feel you!
My rebirth!
Now completed!"

There really isn't much for a chorus.  This is a very Progressive Rock song.  So much fucking fun.  The last two minutes are everything you can want in a song.

9/10.

Starblind:
Apparently this was a song mostly written by Bruce.  You can kind of tell.  It has his distinct style.  Very religious subject matter and the fucking guitar work is numbing.  This kind of reminds me of Bruce Dickinson's solo work... Especially Chemical Wedding...  A great album.  The guitar work really is great.  Fucking real metal vibe going on here.  A complaint I heard on A Matter of Life and Death was that it sounded like Maiden were getting old...  They didn't go as fast they once did.  I think this album is pulling them out of that vibe.  It's true that they write more slow stuff now, but on this album when they let loose it's constrained and heavy.  This song has some fucking great guitars.  Holy christ.

8/10.

The Talisman:
When I first heard this song, it was my favourite up until that point (there were two songs left on the album).  Now that I come back to it...  I still can't tell if I like this more or less then the next two.  It's truly godly.  I will admit that it has an intro similar to The Legacy.  That might bother some people.  It's a different subject matter, but it still might feel 'recycled' to some.  The fact of the matter is that after the 2:20 intro, there's 6:30 left and it really comes into its own.  Like really.  Bruce hasn't hit these notes since the 1980s.  His tone is a bit different, but holy Christ this man is inspired on this track.  Similar to Isle of Avalon, the last two minutes are just mind bending.

"I have no life left in me.
No more strength and nothing left to give.
Must find the will to live!
Never thought that we could make it!
Truly sailed with souls divine
The sickness I am dying from.
I never wanted it to end this way!
Westward the tide!
Westward we sail on!
Westward the tide!
Sail by the talisman!
Westward the tide!
Westward we sail on!
Westward the tide!
Sail by the talisman!"

Ugh, holy fuck!

10/10.

The Man Who Would Be King:
"As he travels on the beast of burden,
moving up along the mountain side;
as he gazes -- looking down the valley.
No regrets, but his pride.

As he journeys across mountain passes,
insignificance sweeps over him.
His reflection of the beauty 'round him --
feeling empty inside.

He is running from his wildest thoughts.
He is running from his everything.
He is looking now to find something --
hoping he can be saved...

*HEAVY AS FUCK*"

Maiden hasn't been this lyrically ambitious in awhile.  Back to some solid story telling.  I think the best way to compare this album to things of the past is to take the musical strength of A Matter of Life and Death and incorporate a more well rounded lyrical matter that seems to borrow from what they did years ago with what they do now.  This song is an example of that, yet again.  Time and again I note the feeling of nostalgia along with newness.  This isn't a band trying to recapture their old sound.  This is a band taking their new sound and using it to reflect an old feeling they once had in their albums.  The vocal melodies are strong as ever, and everything crashes down tightly.  I think the above lyrics sort of speak for themselves.  A really great song.  

I still prefer The Talisman though...  And the next song...  Which just might be as good as Hallowed Be Thy Name.

9/10.

When The Wild Wind Blows:
The epic I've been dying to hear since the announced the track list.  It was all written by Harris, and it has been worked on for years.  Most of it was done several years ago (since the 80s), but they reworked bits of it and put it back together for this record.  It tells the story of a couple who notes that the end of the world is coming, and instead of caring, they sit down to have a cup of tea.  It turns out that the fallout is in fact an earthquake and not the end times.  The couple just sits and waits it out.  They feel there is nothing they can do, so they do nothing.  Stiff upper lip.

"Have you seen what they said on the news today?
Have you heard what they said about us all?
Do you know what is happening to just every one of us?
Have you heard?
Have you heard?
There will be a catastrophe - the like we have never seen.
There will be something that will light the sky,
and the world as we know it will never be the same.
Did you know?
Did you know?"

I've never listened to an 11 minute song that literally sounds 4 minutes long.  This thing just keeps going and it never really becomes redundant.  Maiden's manager said it was too complicated for fans and shouldn't be on the album.  Harris wouldn't accept that.  This song takes sharp turns at every chance it's given.  It never lets up and it has no reason to.  The composition is beautiful and the vocal melodies are pained.  The guitars crunch and the fills are brutal and savage.  It's amazing.

"Say a prayer when it's all over.
Survivors unite - all as one.
Got to try and help each other.
Got the will to overcome.
I can't believe all the lying
All the screams are denying
That the moment of truth has begun.
Can't you see it on the TV?
Don't believe them in the least bit?
Now the days of our ending have begun.

When they found them,
had their arms wrapped around each other.
The tint of poison laying near by their clothes
The day they mistook the earthquake for the fallout,
just another when the wild wind blows."

10/10.

Brilliant.

Instead of giving my thoughts on each song, I'm just gonna give my ratings. Some of you guys already covered the reasons why I love these songs.

Satellite 15/TFF - 8.5
El Dorado - 8
Mother of Mercy - 8
Coming Home - 10
Alchemist - 10
Isle of Avalon - 10
Starblind - 8.5
Talisman - 10
MWWBK - 9.0
WTWWB - 10

Here is how I feel about the album in a nutshell : It is 9:00 pm pacific time here in the states.  I am in Las Vegas for the Rush Time Machine tour show tomorrow at MGM Grand hotel.  I had been looking forward to that show for months.  Here we are the night before the show, and I'm blaring non stop Final Frontier, and listening and talking to all you awesome Maiden brothers  and sisters!!

It is divine. No need for a list of songs and grades.  I feel the song Final frontier/sat 15,  El Dorado, and Starblind are 9s.  Everything else 10'!!!!!  This is may become the greatest Maiden album to be.  And with Maiden being my favorite group ever...this may be my favorite album of all time some day, we'll see............

Stan said:
Instead of giving my thoughts on each song, I'm just gonna give my ratings. Some of you guys already covered the reasons why I love these songs.

Satellite 15/TFF - 8.5
El Dorado - 8
Mother of Mercy - 8
Coming Home - 10
Alchemist - 10
Isle of Avalon - 10
Starblind - 8.5
Talisman - 10
MWWBK - 9.0
WTWWB - 10

Same here.  :p

Satellite 15... The Final Frontier - 6.5
El Dorado - 7
Mother of Mercy - 7.5
Coming Home - 9
The Alchemist - 8
Isle of Avalon - 10
Starblind - 9.5
The Talisman - 10
The Man Who Would Be King - 9
When the While Wind Blows - 10

When rating the songs I come to this:

satellite 15.... the final frontier: 8 for the intro 7 for the song
el dorado: 7
mother of mercy: 7
Coming Home: 10
the alchemist: 9
Starblind: 10
The talisman: 10
the man who would be king: 7 ( probebly needs to grow on me...)
When the wild wind blows......: 11 Man I love this song!! The lenght of this song isn't an issue at all for me! It's over before you know it!

Back