The Final Frontier Reviews Thread

Most of us don't, but we've had cases in the past. Not many, thankfully.

Run to the Hills - 6/10
Hallowed be thy Name - 9.5/10
Rime of the Ancient Mariner - 8/10
Still Life - 8/10
Paschendale - 9/10
Be Quick or Be Dead - 6/10
Brighter than a Thousand Suns - 9.5/10
Run Silent Run Deep - 7/10
Blood Brothers - 6/10
Thin Line b/t Love & Hate - 7.5/10

So you can see the logic in the following.  That being said:

Satellite 15 ... The Final Frontier - 8/10  (intro beautifully and appropriately sets the stage for what the album will be.  Great vocals, great, heavy guitar and TFF has the perfect length)
El Dorado - 7/10 (good concept, good lyrics, doesn't quite fit into the album)
Mother of Mercy - 8.5/10 (sounds unlike anything I've heard from Maiden.  Fantastic lyrics and singing, great pacing and I dug the ending)
Coming Home - 8/10 (extremely moving song, catchy as hell and the guitarwork kicks ass)
Alchemist - 6.5/10 (love the song, but if I had to pick two or three songs to skip this would always be one, granted I haven't given it enough time)
Isle of Avalon - 9.5/10 (one of those songs which gives you the perfect feel with the tone, guitar and drum work.  Intro, rises to climax/solos, outro.  Lyrics could be better, singing is perfect)
Starblind - 8.5/10 (haven't given this enough time, like Alchemist.. love the guitar, singing is a little better than his average)
Talisman - 9.5/10 (probably best singing on the album, great w/o chorus, moving and well paced.  Could do without such a long intro, but then again I'm all for adding length to the song as long as there's decent content.  Fantastic solos and breakdown.)
The Man Who Would be King - 7.5/10 (nearly flawless guitar work, decent singing and lyrics but not as powerful as one would come to expect)
Wild Wind - 9.75/10 (seems all around perfect.  The longest song they have that makes it seem like half the length.  All vocals are flawless, very epic and sucks you in with the tone of the song)

After the first 4-5 listenings, I want to share my opinions.

Satellite 15... The Final Frontier : 8/10

Intro is really different and I liked it. Amazing intro the album. One of the best intro songs in the Iron Maiden history I think. Good riffs, good atmosphere. Bruce is the leader member in this song. (Bruce is the leader member in the whole album actually) I will give it an 8.

El Dorado : 8,5/10

I listened this like 100 times before the album is leaked. That song is full of gas and I like Maiden's gas songs. Amazing riffs, Bruce is amazing. Great solos, great lyrics, great bass lines and great atmosphere. And I think it's the most catchy song in the album. %80 of people found this an average song but I didn't. It's better than the intro song. I will give 8,5 to it.

Mother of Mercy : 8/10

Unbelievable vocal melodies. Especially the "why we are here" part. Great dark riffs. I will give 8.

Coming Home : 9/10

Again. Great vocal melodies and amazing performance from Bruce. It’s Bruce’s album I think. Great riffs again. I like it’s solo too. Good atmosphere and rhythm. Better than the first three songs. I will give it a 9.

The Alchemist : 9,5/10

The only “classic Maiden sound” song on the album. Full of gas, great rhythm, fast and strong riffs, Bruce’s vocal. It’s one of the best songs in the 2000’s Maiden discography. It will be on Top 10 of it. And that reminds me of 1980’s Iron Maiden songs. Better than Coming Home. 9,5.

Isle of Avalon : 9,5/10

What an intro. It’s like the middle segment of Seventh of a Seventh Son. Main riff is really good. Great melodies, great atmosphere. And great additional sounds. It has the same quality with The Alchemist. The only bad thing of this song, it’s so long. That should be shorter. On Top 10 of 2000’s Maiden. 9,5.

And a note : I think it’s sound is like These Colours Don’t Run from A Matter of Life and Death. But it’s far better.

Starblind : 9/10

Psychedelic. The atmosphere of entire album is here. Great. Gives great feelings. Tune is great. Iron Maiden is the only band that can do a song like this in the world. Song includes some parts reminds me of Infinite Dreams and The X Factor album. Good song. Better than El Dorado, worse than Alchemist and Avalon. 9.

The Talisman : 9,5/10

The intro is SO long. That should be shorter. It’s like The Legacy from A Matter of Life and Death so much. Maybe intro is the sequel of The Legacy. After the long intro, it’s amazing. So strong, loud and powerhouse. Gives energy. I love songs like this. Like I said before. And I loved the solo so much. I will give it 9,5. The Alchemist, Isle of Avalon and The Talisman are the best now.

The Man Who Would Be King : 9,5/10

Beginning is fucking amazing. Relaxing, smooth. I would listen that part all the day. Includes different parts. I can’t give it a 9. It deserves a 9,5. Damn that album have amazing songs.

When the Wild Wind Blows : 10/10

Fucking masterpiece. Best song of 2000’s Maiden. One of the best songs of all Iron Maiden history. Another album ending classic from Steve Harris. 10:59 but you can’t feel the length of the song. If this was 20:59 I will continue listening it. Second Rime of the Ancient Mariner. Long, album ending, masterpiece. Best song in the album. Period. Fucking 10.

after a talk with a long friend and also long maiden fan i when 't back to amolad and still the first felling sticks... this is a far superior album (for me), full and complete masterpiece, even if not thought to be so, to be heard for a to z, or 1 to 10. if there is a filler, let there be if there ´ s to bruce solo i wonder if you prefer others, the only conclusion we came upon was wine is better with age and iron is like wine

i still belive tff is going to nr 1

maidenhead1996 said:
After the first 4-5 listenings, I want to share my opinions.

Satellite 15... The Final Frontier : 8/10

Intro is really different and I liked it. Amazing intro the album. One of the best intro songs in the Iron Maiden history I think. Good riffs, good atmosphere. Bruce is the leader member in this song. (Bruce is the leader member in the whole album actually) I will give it an 8.

El Dorado : 8,5/10

I listened this like 100 times before the album is leaked. That song is full of gas and I like Maiden's gas songs. Amazing riffs, Bruce is amazing. Great solos, great lyrics, great bass lines and great atmosphere. And I think it's the most catchy song in the album. %80 of people found this an average song but I didn't. It's better than the intro song. I will give 8,5 to it.

Mother of Mercy : 8/10

Unbelievable vocal melodies. Especially the "why we are here" part. Great dark riffs. I will give 8.

Coming Home : 9/10

Again. Great vocal melodies and amazing performance from Bruce. It’s Bruce’s album I think. Great riffs again. I like it’s solo too. Good atmosphere and rhythm. Better than the first three songs. I will give it a 9.

The Alchemist : 9,5/10

The only “classic Maiden sound” song on the album. Full of gas, great rhythm, fast and strong riffs, Bruce’s vocal. It’s one of the best songs in the 2000’s Maiden discography. It will be on Top 10 of it. And that reminds me of 1980’s Iron Maiden songs. Better than Coming Home. 9,5.

Isle of Avalon : 9,5/10

What an intro. It’s like the middle segment of Seventh of a Seventh Son. Main riff is really good. Great melodies, great atmosphere. And great additional sounds. It has the same quality with The Alchemist. The only bad thing of this song, it’s so long. That should be shorter. On Top 10 of 2000’s Maiden. 9,5.

And a note : I think it’s sound is like These Colours Don’t Run from A Matter of Life and Death. But it’s far better.

Starblind : 9/10

Psychedelic. The atmosphere of entire album is here. Great. Gives great feelings. Tune is great. Iron Maiden is the only band that can do a song like this in the world. Song includes some parts reminds me of Infinite Dreams and The X Factor album. Good song. Better than El Dorado, worse than Alchemist and Avalon. 9.

The Talisman : 9,5/10

The intro is SO long. That should be shorter. It’s like The Legacy from A Matter of Life and Death so much. Maybe intro is the sequel of The Legacy. After the long intro, it’s amazing. So strong, loud and powerhouse. Gives energy. I love songs like this. Like I said before. And I loved the solo so much. I will give it 9,5. The Alchemist, Isle of Avalon and The Talisman are the best now.

The Man Who Would Be King : 9,5/10

Beginning is fucking amazing. Relaxing, smooth. I would listen that part all the day. Includes different parts. I can’t give it a 9. It deserves a 9,5. Damn that album have amazing songs.

When the Wild Wind Blows : 10/10

Fucking masterpiece. Best song of 2000’s Maiden. One of the best songs of all Iron Maiden history. Another album ending classic from Steve Harris. 10:59 but you can’t feel the length of the song. If this was 20:59 I will continue listening it. Second Rime of the Ancient Mariner. Long, album ending, masterpiece. Best song in the album. Period. Fucking 10.

I like you.

I think I have to listen to this album 20 more times before I can make up my mind. There is so much going on musically in this album, I wouldn't know where to start when describing it.

Anyway.. So far I would give the songs these ratings

Satellite 15... The Final Frontier - 4/5
El Dorado 4/5
Mother of Mercy 4/5
Coming Home 5/5
The Alchemist 4/5
Isle of Avalon 5/5
Starblind 5/5
The Talisman ?
The Man Who Would Be King 5/5
When the Wild Wind Blows 5/5

Note: These are my personal opinions on the album not an objective view on the quality of the album.

A quick numbered review.

The Final Frontier

0.   Satellite 15... ___________________ 3/10
1.  The Final Frontier ________________ 8/10
2.  El Dorado _____________________ 6/10
3.  Mother of Mercy ________________ 8/10
4.  Coming Home __________________ 7/10
5.  The Alchemist __________________ 6/10  
6.  Isle of Avalon ___________________ 8/10
7.  Starblind ______________________ 9/10
8.  The Talisman ___________________ 9/10
9.  The Man who would be king ________ 6/10
10. When The Wild Wind Blows ________ 10/10

A few thoughts.

Satellite 15...
A disappointment. Not because it doesn’t sound like a typical Maiden track, but because they didn’t take advantage of the fact that they were trying something new. This was their chance to go all out, but they decided to dip a toe, rather then dive in.

The Final Frontier
A repetitive Chorus that works. Adrian’s solo is the best on the album.

Coming Home
I haven’t fallen in love with this song in the way I’ve fallen in love with other Maiden “ballads”. I have a pilot licence and so of course I love the lyrics. It’s the music I’m not sold on, but I couldn’t tell you why. I guess it just hasn’t clicked yet.

The Alchemist
A straight forward rocker. A throw back to their earlier years. It’s not that it’s bad, it’s just simply not what I’m looking for in Maiden these days.

The Man Who Would Be King
I have a strong feeling I’m going to love this song one day. I just know it. As for now, well I still just don’t get it. It’ll take time.

When The Wild Wind Blows
Love the Melody, the way Bruce’s voice floats along the guitar. It’s rare to hear Bruce sing a song, where he doesn’t belt out high notes, whether through the entire song or just the chorus. It’s refreshing. It’s folky. Music and Melody suite the lyrics perfectly.

When the Wild Wind Blows was a pleasant ending to the album. I really like how Bruce never goes into ''siren-mode'' and stays calm throughout the song. The melody is nice and calm, yet sort of threatening and melancholic. And (like many have mentioned) it feels REALLY short! Isle of Avalon felt like an eternity in comparison...

Firstly thanks to everyone for your reviews and hopes and opinions over the last few months in the lead up to the release of TFF. This web site has kept me psyched. Ok...

I purchased the Mission Edition today and chose to experience my first listen of TFF in bed with my eyes shut. Initial physical reactions...

I cracked a huge smile as soon as Mother of Mercy began

I nearly cried during Coming Home and The Talisman. I actually did shed a tear during When The Wild Wind Blows.

After four listens now I think this album is perfect and whilst an avid Adrian and Dave fan I am so happy/relieved with Janicks contribution. Each of his solos seem not only well constructed but add to the songs. And he has penned two absolute masterpieces. I finally place him alongside the others. All members are totally on song. TFF's music quality and originality and sound tops my two favourites (SIT and SSOASS) and that is a big call but I'm confident I will feel the same way in 6 months time. This album is their best...I remember buying FOTD when it was released and feeling devastated. I believed Maiden were dying. In 1991 I would never have dreamt that Maiden would ever write a song as sonically beautiful and inspiring as Starblind.

My fave songs after 5 listens are The Alchemist, Starblind, The Talisman, TMwWBK and WTWWB. But I'm enjoying all 10, no concerns that they won't all grow on me as I have faith in Maidens output.

Album art thoughts....I really dig the cover now. The silhouette band photo is cool..but weird. Janick looks like he's about 16 and Nico doesn't look like Nico.

Time for another spin...

After about 10 spins...based on a 1-5 scale...
Thoughts:

Sat 15...is great because of it's uniqueness. Simply for that it's a 4*

TFF - Typical rockish tune, repeat chorus doesn't get on my nerves 4*

El Dorado - Love the music & the lyrics but, not a huge fan of the lyrical delivery 4*

Mother of Mercy - Just an awesome song. Love the synthed guitar in parts. I can't find any faults except the chorus seems too rushed for Bruce 5*

Coming Home...This would be a 5 but I have an issue seeing Maiden doing a really good ballad or similar type song lately. The Ghost of Wasting Love I guess. Out of the Shadows wasn't that special either. This one however, is very good 4.5*

Alchemist - I hear Be Quick or Be Dead, Man on the Edge & Bruces - The Magician. Great lyrics also!!! Not sure why ppl don't find this great. 5*

Isle Of avalon - Like Dream of Mirrors in the fact that the buildup takes too long draining the song. I like the break down in the middle but Lord of Light takes up the middle & No More lies almost note for note towards the end. 3.5*

Starblind...weird, no need for the slow intro at all. Lyrics don't fit at times and the off tempo beat & singing makes everything seem rushed and out of place. Not sure if Bruce sounds below average here of it's the style its being sung and the tempo behind it all. But, I somehow really like this song. Especially the jam in the middle. With headphones on this song sounds better. 4*

Talisman - I loved the Legacy so the acousitc intro is great for me. Love the delivery & content of the opening lyrics too. Once it gets going, it rocks. Hear a little dream of mirrors (fast part...I only dream in black & white) which I liked. 5*

TMWWBK - I Like everything except the verse. The music in the verse kills an otherwise great song. The midsection is great but I can't get over the verse! How boring and dull. If they could have been a little more creative here, this could have been a 5 but it's the weakest on the album for me. 3*

WTWWB - 5* Great intro, although typical. When it first kicks in, I hear VXII, espeically Don't look to the eyes of a stranger with a little bit of Afraid to shoot strangers! Great lyrics & love the delivery of Bruce's singing. Could have been better on the back end however. (Can't believe all the lying etc..) Could have been delivered with more passion! Still a 5!

Oh well here's my rating for each song:
1)Satelite 15...the final frontier 8/10 . I like both the intro and the song , nice melodies Adrian Smith-style.
2)El Dorado 8/10 . Very decent single-type song, much better than some people give it credit for.
3)Mother of Mercy 9/10 . Fantastic dark song , somewhat more unique sounding than similar songs from AMOLAD .
4)Coming Home 7/10. Decent ballad , better (and more metal) than "Out of the shadows" but i don't like ballads in general (unless they are really dark and ominus like "Children of the Damned")
5)The Alchemist 8/10 . This song is like how "Man on the Edge" would sound if it was written during the SSOASS period. Classic Maiden and i love it.
6)Isle of Avalon 10/10. A dark masterpiece and quite unique for a big Maiden song.
7)Starblind 10/10 .Amazing song , great riffs and guitar work
8) The Talisman. 10/10 . One of the best Maiden epics ever , in the same league with RORAM and SSOASS.
9)The man who would be king. 9/10 Lots of variety, very nice ideas.
10) When the wild wind blows 7/10 . The disappointment of the album. I dislike the first 3 minutes of it esp. the beginning of the "heavy" parrt after the calm intro. After the 3 minute mark the song becomes very good. If it had a different riff after the calm intro or if after the calm intro it went straight to the rythym that is being played around 3:00 i would rate it higher.

While I don't rate Wind quite that low (as if 7 is awful) I can relate to the sentiment that I don't think it lives up to the OMG IT'S THE BEST THING THEY'VE DONE THIS PAST DECADE AND IT'S A TOP 10 MAIDEN SONG EVER!!!! bear hugs it seems to be getting.  It's a great song to me, but not that level of kick-ass-ness.

Isle Of Avalon laps Wild Wind in my humble estimation.  That's the true epic on the record.

johnglen said:
Oh well here's my rating for each song:
1)Satelite 15...the final frontier 8/10 . I like both the intro and the song , nice melodies Adrian Smith-style.
2)El Dorado 8/10 . Very decent single-type song, much better than some people give it credit for.
3)Mother of Mercy 9/10 . Fantastic dark song , somewhat more unique sounding than similar songs from AMOLAD .
4)Coming Home 7/10. Decent ballad , better (and more metal) than "Out of the shadows" but i don't like ballads in general (unless they are really dark and ominus like "Children of the Damned")
5)The Alchemist 8/10 . This song is like how "Man on the Edge" would sound if it was written during the SSOASS period. Classic Maiden and i love it.
6)Isle of Avalon 10/10. A dark masterpiece and quite unique for a big Maiden song.
7)Starblind 10/10 .Amazing song , great riffs and guitar work
8) The Talisman. 10/10 . One of the best Maiden epics ever , in the same league with RORAM and SSOASS.
9)The man who would be king. 9/10 Lots of variety, very nice ideas.
10) When the wild wind blows 7/10 . The disappointment of the album. I dislike the first 3 minutes of it esp. the beginning of the "heavy" parrt after the calm intro. After the 3 minute mark the song becomes very good. If it had a different riff after the calm intro or if after the calm intro it went straight to the rythym that is being played around 3:00 i would rate it higher.

I gave up after:

A more frosted or life And Death called rather what several responses. The one group the plate in the poor closed and nourished to the spun out and epic style if the ideal continuation

:bigsmile:

Largely unreadable I'm afraid.

Back