The Evil That Men Do

How good is The Evil That Men Do on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
'the Evil That Men Do'

[!--quoteo(post=128939:date=Feb 13 2006, 09:24 PM:name=Silky)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Silky @ Feb 13 2006, 09:24 PM) [snapback]128939[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]perhaps with his loss of his love the narrator has had his eyes opened to the reality of the world.
[/quote]
How does this happen? Can you be a bit more specific?

Many things can open your eyes to the reality of this world. How does love come into it?

'the Evil That Men Do'

[!--quoteo(post=128939:date=Feb 13 2006, 09:24 PM:name=Silky)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Silky @ Feb 13 2006, 09:24 PM) [snapback]128939[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]Interesting thought...[/quote]Actually, it's not just *a thought*. The quote you're talking about has to do with the Bible, where the Book of Life is mentioned, for example in Revelation 20:12. According to the Bible, the Book of Life opens before a person when they are being subjected to Last Judgement. But I'm just repeating what has already been said in this thread.

Perhaps by the reality of life you mean that even if there is real love in this world, it's unfit for real life?

'the Evil That Men Do'

[!--quoteo(post=128941:date=Feb 13 2006, 08:30 PM:name=Maverick)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Feb 13 2006, 08:30 PM) [snapback]128941[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
How does this happen? Can you be a bit more specific?

Many things can open your eyes to the reality of this world. How does love come into it?
[/quote]

My interperetation of the song (taking it out of the context of the 7th son concept) is that the girl the narrator describes was his first love. For some reason, he shouldn't have sought her, but he did ('Love is a razor and I walked the line...'-he took a gamble by loving her) and somehow she became lost to him-perhaps taken away from him when they were discovered ('I would bleed for her...'- this line suggests the narrator was in the depths of despair)

Now, the second verse is a bit tricky. My opinion was that the narrator's love was taken away, due to his innocence and naivety. One possibility is that they were betrayed by someone close to them, or that the narrator was too trusting in human nature-perhaps he believed their forbidden love would be tolerated? Now that his love has been taken away, he sees the cruelty of humanity ('The evil that men do lives on...'), and possibly how his love could not have worked in reality-it was too idealistic. But now that he has come into his adulthood, he is ready to accept his loss and move on. He'll still remember her, but he now realises that it wouldn't have worked between them, however much he loved her. Hell, it makes a change from the usual love-orientated songs infesting the radio today, doesn't it? Something that actually makes you think rather than some ex-army prat wailing 'You're beauuuuutifulllll....'. Actually, the more I look at the lyrics and my thoughts in this post, the more I realise I was thinking of Romeo and Juliet and other similar classical romantic tragedies. Yet another reason why the metal genre is great-even approaching love, it doesn't get bogged down with oversentimentality or commercial romance.

Of course, all this is just my theory, and completely open to debate. I'm just trying to suggest another meaning behind the words, other than the concept album one. After all, if this song was such a good single that it COULD be taken out of context frequently while remaining great, there must be a few other possible interperetations of the lyrics, right?

'the Evil That Men Do'

[!--quoteo(post=129056:date=Feb 16 2006, 11:16 AM:name=Silky)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Silky @ Feb 16 2006, 11:16 AM) [snapback]129056[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]there must be a few other possible interperetations of the lyrics, right?
[/quote]
Indeed there are many, and only the author of the lyric really knows what they actually mean. Your interpretation is quite interesting, though. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"^_^\" border=\"0\" alt=\"happy.gif\" /]

'the Evil That Men Do'

This is possibly my favourite Maiden song ever. The emotion, the feeling put into this song never ceases to send shivers down my spine.

'the Evil That Men Do'

[!--quoteo(post=135465:date=Apr 22 2006, 08:45 PM:name=Hunlord)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Hunlord @ Apr 22 2006, 08:45 PM) [snapback]135465[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
This is possibly my favourite Maiden song ever. The emotion, the feeling put into this song never ceases to send shivers down my spine.
[/quote]

I love it live on Rock in Rio. The emotion of the crowd just pumps the whole song up another level. But, I don't like the way Bruce changes the lyrics of the second Prechorus. I prefer 'And I will pray for you/Some day I may return/...Beyond is where I learn' to whatever Bruce happens to decide to sing onstage. I'm particularly annoyed at the ommision of the line 'Don't you cry for me'-that has to be one of the best lines in the song, as it is literally belted by Bruce with 110% emotion in the studio. Ahhh, the more I think about this song the more I love it-pity it's not a 7.5 min + epic [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

'the Evil That Men Do'

The only problem with it being a 7+ minute epic is that it would not get the recognition it deserves (not that it does now, but it would get less than it already has).

Re: 'the Evil That Men Do'

Hunlord said:
The only problem with it being a 7+ minute epic is that it would not get the recognition it deserves (not that it does now, but it would get less than it already has).

But it would get my vote 100% :p  I always go for the epic cuts.  Unless they're too boring, in which case I go for the most melodic song instead.... ;)

little late for this but, Silky, he didn't change the lyrics, I don't believe, I thought that for awhile until I was reading my Seventh Son CD booklet and it had the Rock In Rio lyrics instead of what I thought were the REAL ones. Add this together with that on the Early Days DVD I believe Bruce says Steve always wrote lyrics that were too long to sing, and so he'd shorten them. Maybe that's just what happened - or I'm totally and utterly wrong!

BTW - I'm prowler....but my password seems to have slipped my mind....I couldn't remember it or what e-mail it was on for the life of me

There's an afro smilie......
I'm scared

I just rediscovered this song.

I won't try to analyse the lyrics, other than mention that they are beautiful and poetic, so I'll just say that I find this to be Iron Maiden's BEST SONG! Yes, better than Hallowed Be Thy Name!

5/5 - perfect song!

This has to be one of my favorite songs.

I have always loved the little things about songs. My favorite part of this song is when Bruce belts out

"And I will pray for her, I will call her name out loud"

Just a fantastic song.

Daily Song: The Evil That Men Do

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: The Evil That Men Do

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

What can't be said about this song that hasn't been said? It's got this killer riff; H especially commits actual murder every time he plays this song. Bruce is fucking aces, and the subject matter is cryptic but alluring. It kills from start to finish and is easily in my top 15. 10/10.

(as an aside, I almost skipped right to SSOASS. Jumping the gun much!)

Re: Daily Song: The Evil That Men Do

Is it OK to start calling songs rockers again? Because this is one of best rockers ever written. Pure headbanging, fist-pumping, metallic anthemic fun. Ten.

I sure would like to hear this song live, and I was a bit disappointed that they picked CIPWM over this on SBIT.  Of the fast, short songs (rockers, if you will), it's definitely among Maiden's best.  I'd give it 8.5, but rounded up to 9 because I really love this album.

9. Not the best song on the album, but it's quite bloody great. I might mention that this one has always sounded more "catchy" and "mainstream" to me than Can I Play With Madness, even though TETMD is a better song. As Invader, I think this song would be really great live. Apparently it has been played before from time to time, so my hopes are high.

This is one of the best songs Maiden ever did, and indeed one of the best songs ever. Everybody shines on it, it's got a killer intro, a killer melody, a killer rythm, a killer chorus a killer solo and killer lyrics. I get pumped by just thinking of it. It's one of the most energetic songs I know, and I can't get tired of it. Heavy metal in its fast, rocking perfection. 10/10, up there with the very best.

Definitely works better live, I dislike the studio version. It has a great riff and all that, but there is clearly a lack of energy.

7/10.

Black_Thunder said:
but there is clearly a lack of energy.
:lol:

9/10. Excellent song. It has several awesome moments to it like others have mentioned. It hasn't grown so well with me so it goes to a 9 rather than a 10. Also, it's only the 4th best song on the album, imo.

Absolute magic, one of Maiden's greatest. As well written an H song as his three SIT masterpieces and the highlight of SSOASS. Could we be Bruces finest performance, especially the second verse.

Back