The Duellists

How good is The Duellists on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: The Duellists

I'm one of those people who are here so people who like this song can call it under rated. The chorus isn't good, the instrumental section is over rated (ha, take that) and it's generally a below par song. 4.

I wish they'd played The Duellists live on the World Slavery Tour. Even if just for a few shows Luke they did for Losfa Words.

And anyone whose listened to some of Thingfish's accoustic Maiden tracks....this is one of his finest. Look him up...highly recommended.

Equal 3rd favourite song off the album, which I think is also vastly underrated. That middle instrumental section is just awesome with the great melodies. Also, I don't mind the high singing by Bruce too much in the chorus either. 9/10.

Pretty good song. It's not a huge favourite of mine, but I won't skip it if it starts playing. It definitely reminds me of Where Eagles Dare. 8/10

One of the most underrated songs in Maiden discography.  Great catchy riffs alone are worthy of a 10 for me.

Filler from Fillerslave. 6.5/10 on Maiden scale.

I have never managed to tell apart which is The Duelists and which is Flash of the Blade. Same theme (guys with swords), similar music. Some nice details, but nothing special IMO.

6/10

I first skipped rating this song because I find it very hard to rate.  It's not very memorable, but it is a pretty good song; I'll give it a 7.  It might almost deserve an 8, but I've given so many 8s already that I have to rate something lower too.

Another excellent song. Another one that I appreciated much more after my coming here. Forostar is the man. And the mid-song the part. 9/10

Underrated, not an amazing song but it's really good. Instrumental parts are really good. 7/10

6 out of 10... Another song off the album that never did much for me. Powerslave was actually the first Iron Maiden album that, IMHO, had fewer strong cuts than weak ones. I realize this makes me an anomaly among most fans, but outside of Ace's High and Two Minutes to Midnight, I'm not a big flag waver for this album...

The Duellists is for me the ultimate "forgotten song" in Maiden’s catalogue. I find it very underrated and I can’t understand people when they say it’s boring. I like it because of the brilliant mid piece. GREAT melodic guitar work, with the rhythm tandem McBrain/Harris underneath it. The song has a catchy chorus, that stays in your head (not the way the chorus of TAATG stays in your head!). No weak parts. Unlike most Maiden songs, the tempo is all the time the same, but despite this, the song has an enormous drive!

Another interesting aspect is that I have the idea that someone else besides only Bruce is/are doing backing vocals in the chorus - Oooooohoooooo -

Perhaps Adrian? Speaking of Adrian, he's doing one of his all time best solos on this one.

For me a top 10 song, maybe even top 5:

A 7, although I think I should have given 8. A very solid song, and in no way a filler song for me.

This song is a favorite of mine. It takes all the best parts about FOTB and makes one really cool song. 10/10

Back