The Concert Thread

Saw Joe Satriani last night...WOW!
I remember when Surfing With the Alien 1st released. When the studio lp was new, the title track was 1st one I heard on the radio and blew me away! Somehow, last night was 1st time I finally got to see him live and my son loved it too!
He played songs from about 1/2 his lps and the video screen behind the band just added to each song.
His band was very good too.
I thought it was cool that during the first few songs the name of each song appeared on the video screen but thought it was odd none of the other songs did that.
Really enjoyed the variety of the moods each song had. Wasn't all fast soloing all night. About half the tunes were mellow or funky!
Anyway was a long set. My feet were screaming at me during the walk back to the vehicle!

Attachments

• 20221118_210511.jpg
    20221118_210511.jpg
    918.5 KB · Views: 1
Time to get this back on the go.

Dec 3 - Amon Amarth feat. Carcass, Obituary, Cattle Mutilation @ Place Bell, Laval, Quebec, Canada
Feb 24 - Powerwolf @ MTELUS, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
June 11 - Iron Maiden @ Quarterback Immobilien Arena, Leipzig, Germany

Therapy? were FUCKING brilliant last night in Guildford.

I got fist bumps from Andy and Michael at the end of the gig and a very sore neck after headbanging a lot. The atmosphere was electrifying and all the jumping and pogoing made me feel like I was 18 again. The sore neck this morning reminded me I am 46 though!

2022 has not been a bad year for me in terms of concerts: Smith/Kotzen and Status Quo in March, Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets in April, The Cult + Alice Cooper in May, Manic Street Preachers and Skunk Anansie in June, Martin Turner in September, Wishbone Ash and Blue Öyster Cult + Deep Purple in October, and Therapy? in November, plus some local festival gigs during the summer.

If I had to choose the best gigs of the year for me, I would go with Manic Street Preachers at the Great Estate Festival in Cornwall, Skunk Anansie at the Royal Festival Hall in London, and Therapy? in Guildford last Saturday. :edmetal:

The Darkness - The Olympia, Dublin
Unto Others - Cyprus Avenue, Cork
Whitesnake, Foreigner, Europe - The Point, Dublin
Ugly Kid Joe - Academy, Dublin
Kiss - Bercy, Paris
Maiden - Ormeau Park, Belfast
British Lion - can't remember venue name, Paris
Maiden - La Defense, Paris
Guns 'N' Roses - Marlay Park, Dublin
Chris Holmes - Whelan's, Dublin

Not a bad year, a brief flurry of rearranged covid era gigs in the summer probably makes it look busier than it was, only one minor gig since then, usually the winter is busy on the gig front, not this year.

Best gig, Maiden at La Defense, worst Whitesnake (just them, the other two bands were good)

Saw Nightwish in Birmingham on Tuesday night, and what an absolutely incredible gig. I always forget how much I love this band until I see them live. Floor is an absolute powerhouse, to go from having lifesaving surgery, to being on stage belting out notes like she does in the matter of weeks is just astounding. What a remarkable woman. Also, this was my first time seeing the band since Marco had left, and his presence was missed a little bit. His voice was one of my favourite aspects of Nightwish, but it didn't stop the gig being absolutely insane.

The support acts were really good fun too. I can't remember the name of the first band, but Beast in Black were incredible. I've been a fan for a couple of years, and have wanted to see them for a while, and they were just a lot of fun. Cheesy as fuck power metal with sing along choruses, what more can you ask for?

1669304384365.png

Powerwolf on Tuesday in London!

Really chuffed to see Amorphis, Eluveitie and Dark Tranquillity on the same bill in Manchester tonight.

I originally got the tickets just to see Amorphis again, but it was my first time seeing Eluveitie and I reckon they stole the show. Getting Dark Tranquillity as one of the support bands was the icing on the cake - a band I've been listening to for a while but had never seen live. They sound great and much heavier live.

Amorphis were spot on musically as ever, but Eluveitie just have a lot more going on on stage.

First band on, Nailed to Obscurity, were very polished for first act of a four band gig too, with sime goid songwriting, and I'll be checking out more of their music.

Of course all bands were eclipsed by the appearance of Maidenfans' own Black Wizard, who made the trip North for this show :D

Last edited:
Okay.

Dec 3 - Amon Amarth feat. Carcass, Obituary, Cattle Decapitation @ Place Bell, Laval, Quebec, Canada
Feb 24 - Powerwolf @ MTELUS, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Mar 8 - Eluveitie feat. Omnium Gatherum, Seven Spires @ Brass Monkey, Nepean, Ottawa, Canada
June 11 - Iron Maiden @ Quarterback Immobilien Arena, Leipzig, Germany

Last edited:
Ticketmaster had a Black Friday sale and had 2 for 1 tickets for Alter Bridge's tour, so I nabbed two for Birmingham on the 11th December, and taking TheSeventhMariner Sr as he's a big fan of Alter Bridge. Couldn't turn down a £25 ticket really.

Saw Queensryche open for Judas Priest on the 100th date of Priest 50th anniversary tour (last date of US tour).
Both bands played deep cuts I enjoyed. Audience was luke warm to Queensryche but was packed and real energetic to Priest.
Producer/guitarist Andy Sneape plays more lead (& much better) than he did on Firepower tour.
Obviously he can't touch Ritchie but whole band was great.
Rob is slowly pacing the stage as he sings; Obviously very much feeling his age. Sometimes singing great, other times not.
Stage and video production was awesome!

Took photos of Priest also but not able to upload.

Setlist wise, Genocide, Steeler, and especially Screaming for Vengeance were my favs.

Attachments

• 20221129_200212.jpg
    20221129_200212.jpg
    891.4 KB · Views: 1
Has anyone here ever been to the Top Hat in Dublin before it closed in 1991? I keep thinking about 1978 where U2 Supported The Stranglers and ended up stealing alcohol from their dressing room after Bono had a dispute with JJ Burnel.

stranglers u2.jpg

Back