The Concert Thread

Saw Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of the War of the Worlds live in Birmingham tonight. I have been a fan of the album since I was about 8 or 9, it was the album that got me into "rock music" really, and remains my favourite album of all time, and own multiple versions of it - 4 variations on vinyl (2 original, the highlights, and The New Generation), the original on CD, the remix CD, and two live DVDs. I managed, somehow to miss every arena tour Jeff did of the production since 2006, and I remember being distraught when I missed the then titled "final arena tour" in 2014. However, I did catch the West End transfer in 2016, which was a great experience but I felt it lacked the major theatrics that the arena shows provided. So when this 40th anniversary tour was announced, I knew it was my chance finally to see it in arena setting. Oh boy, the show was amazing. The music, the production, the performers (even Jason Donavon). It was everything I had hoped and more. What surprised me the most also, was how packed the venue was, for a sci fi prog rock album about an alien invasion, selling out arenas 40 years later isn't bad going, which gives me hope for more tours in the future.

47574241_10216227394709729_3112474215710720000_n.jpg

47683651_10216227409470098_6968982074422198272_n.jpg

Saw Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of the War of the Worlds live in Birmingham tonight. I have been a fan of the album since I was about 8 or 9, it was the album that got me into "rock music" really, and remains my favourite album of all time, and own multiple versions of it - 4 variations on vinyl (2 original, the highlights, and The New Generation), the original on CD, the remix CD, and two live DVDs. I managed, somehow to miss every arena tour Jeff did of the production since 2006, and I remember being distraught when I missed the then titled "final arena tour" in 2014. However, I did catch the West End transfer in 2016, which was a great experience but I felt it lacked the major theatrics that the arena shows provided. So when this 40th anniversary tour was announced, I knew it was my chance finally to see it in arena setting. Oh boy, the show was amazing. The music, the production, the performers (even Jason Donavon). It was everything I had hoped and more. What surprised me the most also, was how packed the venue was, for a sci fi prog rock album about an alien invasion, selling out arenas 40 years later isn't bad going, which gives me hope for more tours in the future.

47574241_10216227394709729_3112474215710720000_n.jpg

47683651_10216227409470098_6968982074422198272_n.jpg

Very cool! War Of The World's was probably my first musical album and started my love for rock too (the solo in Thunderchild is one of my favourites). It's a shame I missed that show really

We're going to see Nightwish in Helsinki this saturday. They're playing a lot of stuff I haven't witnessed live before, so I believe it's going to be awesome.

Slaying the Dreamer with Floor... Perfect!

Updating now.

April 3 - Kiss @ Canadian Tire Centre, Kanata, Ontario, Canada
April 5 - Dream Theater @ Salle Wilfred-Pelletier, Place des Arts, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Aug 5 - Iron Maiden feat. Raven Age @ Bell Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Aug 24 - Iron Maiden feat. Raven Age @ Ruoff Home Mortgage Music Centre, Noblesville, Indiana, USA
Aug 31 - Iron Maiden feat. Raven Age @ Scotiabank Saddledome, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Sept 15 - Kamelot feat. Sonata Arctica and Battle Beast @ Club Soda, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Sept 24 - Amorphis feat. Anneke Van Giersbergen, Sovereign Council, Damnus, Whisper in the Maze @ Mavericks, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

On Saturday I saw Nightwish at Wembley Arena in London with support from Beast in Black. It was the second time I'd been to Wembley Arena after seeing Megadave there three years ago - the day after loads of people were shot at a concert in Paris. Beast in Black were a decent support band, but they don't amount to much more than generic cheesey Power Metal (they must be in the Cheesevivor surely) with some weird 80s pop thrown in (see 'Insane') and the guitarists and bassist do all the standard Metal guitar moves (see Judas Priest, Accept and Hammerfall). Nightwish were fucking spectacular of course, with plenty of pyro burning my face off from about ten rows from the front and the massive screen providing a video accompaniment for each song. This was the second time I'd seen Nightwish this year after they headlined Bloodstock Festival in August and they played a longer set this time with a few songs that I'm not too familiar with added to the setlist. Some songs that I am more familiar with were sadly removed from the set ('Amaranth', 'End of All Hope') but 'I Want My Tears Back' was included this time, which was nice. Floor Jansen's singing was fucking incredible as always, especially on 'Ghost Love Score' which is so powerful when she sings it. She was wearing some weird outfit with a cape and Tomous Holopainen (can't spell his name) looked creepy as hell. Something that was really cool was before the countdown video at the start there was an announcement for people to put their mobile phones away and enjoy the show like it is meant to be enjoyed and a mobile phones forbidden sign on the massive screen. Obviously not everyone respected the request but a few people did put their phones away for the first few songs at least. I'll hopefully be able to see Nightwish again when they next release an album as there will be more songs that I'm familiar with and less operatic deep cuts that I don't care for.

Next up is Kreator with Dimmu Borgir, Hatebreed and Bloodbath in London on Sunday. That's going to be one hell of a way to end the live music year! :eek:

The schedule is now:

16/12 Kreator/Dimmu Borgir, London
22/3 Kamelot/Evergrey/Visions of Cheeselantis, Birmingham
late March: Cellar Darling
late March: The Lounge Kittens
16/4 Avantasia, London
5/8 Iron Maiden, Montreal

8/8-11/8 Scorpions/Sabaton/Anthrax/Queensryche/Dimmu Borgir, Bloodstock Open Air
25/11 Halestorm, Nottingham

I will look into getting tickets for some of those shows in italics after Christmas. Before doing that I have some plane tickets to book though...

Back