The Concert Thread

At the request of the good lady, we're off to see Dr Hook on Thursday. The last concert we saw was late last year and something different: Accept :) Awesome show !

Happy to see Maiden are gracing our shores with their presence once more in May 2016 :D

Here's every damn concert I've even been to...with a five-star rating.

-Kiss/ New England ***1/2

-Neil Diamond ***

-Dio/ Rough Cutt ****

-Pat Benatar/The Alarm ****
-Twisted Sister/Dokken ***1/2

-Crosby, Stills & Nash/ The Fabulous Thunderbirds *****
-Boston/ Fahrenheit **1/2
-David Lee Roth/ Cinderella ***1/2
-Heart/ Bourgeois Tagg ***1/2
-Rush/ Tommy Shaw **1/2

-Cinderella/ Winger/Bullet Boys **1/2
-Bob Dylan **1/2
-Crosby Stills & Nash No Opening act ****
-Ozzy Osbourne/Anthrax ***1/2

-Stevie Nicks/The Hooters ***
-Elton John No opening act *****
-Jethro Tull/ It Bites ***
-David Crosby ***1/2
-Pink Floyd ****
-The Rolling Stones/ Living Colour ***1/2
-Crosby/Nash ****1/2

-The Grateful Dead/ Crosby, Stills & Nash ***
-Don Henley/ Raindogs (or something like that) ***
-Bo Diddley No Opening Act ***
-Oingo Boingo ****
-The Clarks/ The Zippers (since then, I’ve seen The Clarks over 40 times) ****
-Alice Cooper/ The Front ****
-Mary-Chapin Carpenter *****
-The London Quireboys ***
-.38 Special ***

-Pat Metheny Group ****
-REO Speedwagon ***1/2

-Hall & Oats and Pat Benatar (missed H&O) ***
-Stephen Stills/ America ***1/2
-Clint Black/ Mary-Chapin Carpenter ****

-Savatage/ X-15 **1/2
-REO Speedwagon (& a local band) ***

-Pink Floyd ****
-Rush/ Candlebox (missed Candlebox) ****
-Metallica/ Fight/ Suicidal Tendencies ***1/2
-Nine Inch Nails/Marilyn Mason/ Jim Rose Circus ****
-Crosby, Stills & Nash/ Michel Hedges ****
-The Band **1/2
-Mary-Chapin Carpenter/ The Mavericks ***1/2
-Lollapallooza 94: Smashing Pumpkins/ Beastie Boys/ George Clinton/ The Breeders/Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds ***
-Crosby, Stills & Nash/ Fleetwood Mac ***1/2
-Eric Clapton/ Jimmy Ray Vaughn ****
-Queensryche/Type O Negative ****

-Stephen Stills *****
-REO Speedwagon/ Pat Benatar/ Fleetwood Mac ****

-Dio ****
-Phish ****
-Lollapallooza 96: Metallica/ Soundgarden/ Method Man/ Ramones/ Corner Shop (the bands I saw) ****
-Pat Benatar/ Steve Miller (missed Steve Miller) *****

-Crosby Stills & Nash ****
-Matthew Sweet ***
-The Verve Pipe/ Tonic ***
-Mighty Joe Plum ***
-Styx/ Pat Benatar ****
-The Rolling Stones/ Sheryl Crow *****
-John & Mary (of 10,000 Maniacs) **1/2

-Pat Benatar ****
-Tibetan Freedom Concert: R.E.M./ Blues Traveler/ Radiohead/ The Wallflowers/ Pearl Jam/Red Hot Chili Peppers/ Sonic Youth and others **1/2
-Monster Magnet/ Kid Rock/ (Hed) Pe ***1/2

-The Allman Brothers Band ****
-The Rolling Stones/ The Corrs ***1/2
-moe. ****
-Pat Benater ****
-Pat Benater/ Donnie Iris ***
-Mike Ness *****

-Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young ****1/2
-Poison/ Cinderella/Dokken (missed Poison) ***
-Matthew Sweet ***
-The Allman Brothers Band ***
-Donnie Iris ***

-moe. ****
-Megadeth/ Iced Earth ***
-Monster Magnet/Buckcherry *****
-Monster Magnet/Buckcherry/ Staind ****
-Molly Hatchet ***
-Social Distortion ***1/2

-David Lee Roth/ Sammy Hagar ****
-Counting Crows/ Uncle Cracker (missed Uncle Cracker) ****

-Pearl Jam ***
-Wing Zing 2003: Blue Oyster Cult/Edgar Winter/Stephen Percy/Dan Orr Project ***
-Lollapallooza 03: Jane’s Addiction/Audioslave/Incubus/Queens of the Stone Age/The Distillers/ The Donnas ****
-Alabama *****
-Iron Maiden/ Dio/ Motorhead *****
-Phish *****
-Serge Fest with The Roots/Slightly Stoopid/Spy Mob ****

-Blue Oyster Cult ****
-Slightly Stoopid/ Pepper ****
-David Bowie/ Stereophonics (missed Sterophonics) ***1/2
-Little Feat/ Dickey Betts ***
-Ozzfest 2004: Black Sabbath/ Judas Priest/ Slayer (bands I saw) 2004 ****
-Sponge ***1/2
-Josh Todd ***1/2
-Hank Williams, Jr. **1/2
-Metallica/ Godsmack (missed Godsmack) ***

-Mitch Hedburg (stand-up comedy) ***1/2
-Social Distortion ****
-Ozzfest 2005: Iron Maiden/ Shadows Fall/Black Label Society (bands I saw)
***1/2
-The White Stripes ****
-Audioslave/ Seether ***1/2
-Social Distortion/The Dead 60’s ***1/2

-The Clarks/Watershed ***1/2
-Buckcherry/Rock n Roll Soldiers ****1/2
-Pat Benatar *****
-Counting Crows/The Goo Goo Dolls ***
-Merle Haggard/Pam Tillis ****
-Iron Maiden ***1/2
-Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young ****
-The Black Keys ***1/2
-Coheed and Cambria ***
-Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band/ Eric Church *****
-Wolfmother/The Icaris Line (missed) ****

-Wing Zing 2007: Lou Gramm/Dickey Betts/Bruce in the USA ***1/2
-Ozzfest 2007: Ozzy Osbourne/Lamb of God (Bands I saw) ***
-Pat Benatar *****
-The Silversun Pickups/The Cliks/ VHS Or Betta ****
-Rush ****
-Avenged Sevenfold/ Operator ***1/2
-The Cult/ Action Action/The Cliks (missed The Cliks) ****

- The Black Crowes ****1/2

-The Airborne Toxic Event ****
-Metric ****

-Murder By Death/Ha Ha Tonka/Linfinity *****
-Cinderella/ American Dog ***1/2
- Kiss/ The Academy Is…(missed The Academy Is…)- ****1/2
- Blue Oyster Cult (Obetz Zucchinifest) ***1/2

- The Phantods (Lebowski Fest) ***1/2
- Crosby/ Nash ***1/2
- Social Distortion/ Chuck Ragan/ Sharks ***1/2

- Flogging Molly ***1/2
-Roger Waters: The Wall *****
-CD102.5 Summerfest with Metric and Ben Kweller/The Lumineers (Bands I saw) ****
-Say Anything/Murder By Death/The Sidekicks (missed Say Anything) ****
-The Sword with Eagle Claw/Gypsyhawk ****

-Sheena Easton **1/2
-Everclear ***1/2
-Murder By Death/Frontier Ruckus/White Pines ****1/2
-Rock on the Range ****1/2 Bands I Saw: Soundgarden/Alice in Chains/ Smashing Pumpkins/Bush/The Sword/Clutch/Volbeat/Ghost B.C./In This Moment/Lamb of God/Red/Stone Sour/Halestorm/Bullet for My Valentine ...Comedians: Bill Squire/Bob Cook/Big Jay Oakerson/Jim Florentine/Ari Shafir/Dan Swartwout
-Gregg Allman ***1/2

-America and The Beach Boys ***

-Murder By Death/O’Death ***1/2
-The Moody Blues ****
-Pat Benatar (in Las Vegas) *****
-Graveyard/Mastodon/Clutch ****1/2
-The Rolling Stones/Kid Rock *****

Last edited:
I went to see a band called Skarlett Riot playing in a tiny venue called the Barfly in London last night. It was a really good gig and just what I needed after a bit of a crappy week. The Raven Age were supporting and I enjoyed them a lot more than I did when they supported British Lion. That may be due to the younger fanbase who their music is more likely to appeal to though. I'm sure how they'll go down when supporting Maiden next year in massive venues but their singer seems to be quite entertaining (like the typical cockney geezer).

Next gig is Megadave on 14th November at Wembley Arena with Lamb of God, Children of Bodom and Sylosis.

Leprous kicked ass. Took me an hour and a half to walk home, totally worth it. That's it when it comes to concerts this year for me. Seen 8 shows which is my personal best :D

Saw Trivium last night, they put on a great show considering the small size of the venue.

The opening bands, though, geez, never have I seen three opening bands that sound exactly like every other opening band I've ever seen all on one show.

Saw Hardcore Superstar last night.

Felt like a shoe-horned in gig at the end of their European tour, announced late, no opening act, and shorter set than expected for a headline show, clocking in at about an hour all in all. That said, the band was energetic and seemed to have genuinely fun plus the venue was on fire (I really had to fight to keep my place at the front), so I can't really complain. Sixth time seeing them - certainly not the best, but not the worst either. Will definitely see them again. 3/5.

Song by song:

1. "Sadistic Girls" (***** - Having many great opening songs, it's hard to choose a favourite, but this particular one is the definite safe-card.)
2. "Guestlist" (***** - You can't have "Sadistic Girls" without "Guestlist" following it. Simply can't. Excellent two-punch.)
3. "Touch the Sky" (** - Only song from the new album, works but could be replaced by far better songs.)
4. "Medicate Me" (*** - Great song from their best record, but too dependent on a more metallic framing to really work in their current more straight up hard rock sound.)
5. "Wild Boys" (***** - Abysmally cheesy on the album, always the live favorite.)
6. "Dreamin' in a Casket" (**** - Suffers partly from the same problem as it's album sibling "Medicate Me", but by far one of the best songs they have recorded.)
7. "Into Debauchery" (**** - Nice to see they haven't forgotten Beg For It!)
8. "Standin' on the Verge" (***** - Their best ballad, here only acoustic with first verse and chorus - but still a highlight of the set)
9. "Here Comes that Sick Bitch (** - Could have been a great brutally honest acoustic song, but the titular line makes it land awkwardly in Steel Panther-land, though I'm sure it wasn't meant to - I blame lack of enough language proficiency.)

Encore:

10. "Moonshine" (*** - Growing on me, but still that single that outsiders loved and fans hated.)
11. "Last Call for Alcohol" (*** - Great song on the album, finally without that long forced middle section where fans were brought on stage and given Jägermeister - Sponsorship deal now seems to be with JD, the drink which was shared with the front row. Still drags the show down too much though - skip it and focus on the music.)
12. "We Don't Celebrate Sundays" (**** - Most well known song and a 'must play' at every concert - It still works, but being what it is you can hardly say it stands out among regular fans who's heard it more times than they can count.)
13. "Above the Law" (** - A mediocre song that should be left to rot with the rest of the record it's on, only saving grace is the audience response - and when the roadie started to mount down the drums in the middle of the song as usual I realised they had cut the set and it was the definite last song.)

Might see another show this year. There's gonna be some "From Israel With Love" maniphestation here at the end of moment, promoting their culture, food and music, and Orphaned Land is gonna play a show. Tickets are cheap and there's food AND metal, enough to convince me :D

wow I'm far behind on a lot of concert reviews, can't believe I haven't reviewed any since Cheap Trick:eek: well ok, I did post my Blind Guardian review in their thread, but nonetheless, here's a recap of my fall concerts so far, after CT:

9/25: Kashmir- really good, and I got to meet them after the show, was cool to meet Felix from Zebra(he's Kashmir's bassist/keyboardist)

10/8: The Winery Dogs- excellent! I enjoyed the opening band Kicking Harold too

10/14: Collective Soul: really good

10/16: Kansas- excellent!

10/19: The White Buffalo(alt-country artist whose music was used on "Sons of Anarchy")- really good

10/27: Anderson Ponty Band- good, I like their sound, Jon Anderson and Jean LucPonty blend well together

and of course, 11/1: Blind Guardian, see their thread for a review

upcoming:

11/14: Heavens Edge/Britny Fox

11/20: Steve Hackett

11/22: Chris Robinson Brotherhood

11/27: .38 Special

12/11: Get the Led Out

12/31: Third Eye Blind

1/20: Queensryche

Coming up...

La Boheme, English National Opera - November 17th
Slayer, Anthrax and Kvelertak - November 30th

I'm seeing Megadave tonight. :)
Me too!

Ups and downs of being a parent:

Had my ticket to Wolfsbane a couple of weeks ago. Wife was out at work. Babysitter was sick, no-one else could make it, I missed the gig.

Tonight is date night. Babysitter booked, we're going out for dinner. Both kids woke up ill, have got worse as the day's gone on. Wife thinks they need tlc tonight. Result: She's staying home and I've got a last-minute ticket to see Megadeth and Lamb of God.

You win some, you lose some!

And also the ups and downs of everyone you know being a parent...my friend might not be able to make it to see Priest after all because she forgot to book childcare.::)

Back