The Concert Thread

I *may* be able to see Paradise Lost after all at the end of this month. It'll be a mad dash after work, but I can probably get the following day off.

Symphony X are playing in some really crappy venues in England in February. The best venue they're playing in is in Scotland - my favourite venue in fact, the Glasgow Garage - but that's a long way away.

Cheap Trick were great last night, they played 2 covers, "Magical Mystery Tour" and "Aint That A Shame", and a song from their new album coming out next spring which sounded really good, and of course, they saved their 3 biggest hits for last, and I'm sure everyone knows which songs I mean..:D

Symphony X was so good! Band was absolutely on fire, Russell sounded stellar (especially on the highs), and Romeo shred so hard he cut open his hand and was bleeding all over his white guitar.

Glad you had a good time!

Setlist looks quite depressing to me though :( Just one song that's not from last 3 albums, which has been the case for years already :(

Setlist looks quite depressing to me though :( Just one song that's not from last 3 albums, which has been the case for years already :(

I loved the new album, so I was super excited to hear more than half of it. Plus, those songs work really well live - Romeo has gotten better at anticipating the live performance while composing/arranging. Kiss of Fire may be the best live song in Symphony X's catalogue.

Sins and Shadows is always great to hear, and they even added a little extended jam during the solo section. It might be overplayed, but it's their version of The Number of the Beast, it always delivers.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Iconoclast album, but it was cool to see the title track live. That tapping section is really intense.

I definitely could have done without the 15 minutes of Paradise Lost songs, though. Not because I don't like them, I love that album, but I've seen them tour so heavily on that material that it's just played out. Granted, I still had a blast and sang every word, but I agree they should have replaced two of three PL songs with older stuff.

Iryo :p I just think it's unfair that first 6 albums get 1 song in the setlist and the last 3 get 10. Nightwish is kinda similar in this regard (though not that extreme), with the difference being that everything they play is pretty awesome :p

Hoping for a SX cabaret tour soon... play classics!

I kinda agree with NP here actually. I love the new album but honestly when I saw the setlist it made me a bit less bummed that I'm not seeing them. They have such a wide catalog of material to pick from, they could make a really mindblowing setlist. Instead they do basically the same thing every time. They don't even pick different songs from PL.

Edit: That's not to say I don't support them playing new material. Most of Underworld is awesome and that should stay. But the rest of the setlist should be more varied. I'd do something like this (keeping the Underworld stuff as is):

Nevermore
Underworld
Without You
Kiss of Fire
Charon
To Hell and Back
Domination
Through the Looking Glass
Fallen
Electric Messiah
Smoke and Mirrors
------------------------
Accolade I & II

Last edited:
Hoping for a SX cabaret tour soon... play classics!

They are one of the only bands where I would actually support a cabaret tour!

I kinda agree with NP here actually. I love the new album but honestly when I saw the setlist it made me a bit less bummed that I'm not seeing them. They have such a wide catalog of material to pick from, they could make a really mindblowing setlist. Instead they do basically the same thing every time. They don't even pick different songs from PL.

Edit: That's not to say I don't support them playing new material. Most of Underworld is awesome and that should stay. But the rest of the setlist should be more varied. I'd do something like this (keeping the Underworld stuff as is):

Nevermore
Underworld
Without You
Kiss of Fire
Charon
To Hell and Back
Domination
Through the Looking Glass
Fallen
Electric Messiah
Smoke and Mirrors
------------------------
Accolade I & II

Yeah, I don't disagree, I would love to hear the old stuff. I love that they played half of the new album and it sounded great, but those final 5 songs should've been more varied. Your setlist is awesome,

but sadly, I think we are at a point where we'll be extremely lucky to hear something like Through The Looking Glass live again. I'm just glad I got to see it once! Same goes for The Accolade medley, maybe we'll get one in the future, but I doubt we'll ever get both again. This was a thrash tour, though, so they were bound to play the heavier, mostly shorter stuff. Also, Domination is unnecessary in a setlist that already has Underworld and Kiss of Fire, the "Domination-esque" songs from the new album.

Even by picking oft-played, faster songs typical of their setlists, the show still could have looked like this:

Nevermore
Underworld
Without You
Kiss of Fire
Charon
To Hell and Back
Sea of Lies
Smoke and Mirrors
Evolution
Inferno
------------------------
Set The World on Fire
Of Sins and Shadows

There's not a thing inventive about that setlist, but it would have still been amazing just to hear some classics in the lineup.

The upcoming concert list for me is now:

October 18th: Skarlett Riot, London
November 14th: Megadeth, London
February 3rd: Helloween, London
February 12th: Symphony X, Wolverhampton
February 19th: Symphony X, London
March 8th: Avantasia, London

16 October 2015 - Annihilator
23 October 2015 - Leprous

That's gonna take me to 8 shows this year, beating my personal best of 6 from 2013 :D

Just got back from a weekend in London after watching David Gilmour at the Royal Albert Hall on Friday night. An amazing mix of his own solo material and a heap of Pink Floyd tracks.

Even though we were right at the very back of the auditorium, the sound was still immense - The loudest I have ever experienced, my trouser legs were vibratring in some tracks, especially "Sorrow" and "Astronomy Domine". And it was such an incredible honour to hear the final solo in "Comfortably Numb" performed by the man who wrote it. Many tears were shed.

12063481_10206842933704069_5290640806059744070_n.jpg

My favourite picture of the night. Now to go and cry in a corner as I'll probably never see him ever again in concert.

Next Thursday.... Wolfsbane!

Very excited about this one! First time I've seen them since the Marquee show they recorded for Massive Noise Injection. Many, many pies have been consumed since then. Their singer apparently joined another band for a while...

Next Thursday.... Wolfsbane!

Very excited about this one! First time I've seen them since the Marquee show they recorded for Massive Noise Injection. Many, many pies have been consumed since then. Their singer apparently joined another band for a while...
The singer is a cool cat, usually sticks around after gigs.

The saga of the Nightwish tickets continues. I got a call tonight to say Wembley Arena has changed the time the doors open (which makes me think earlier finish), and I finally have full details of the new seats I've been allocated since they changed the floor to all standing - right at the back. :(

Back