The Concert Thread

Very excited about Metal Church bringing back Mike Howe on vocals. No Texas dates so going to see them in Chicago the same week as Maiden.

I went to see Alestorm and Sabaton on Sunday night. What to say?

Alestorm, a band that I have seen now three times, were hilariously brillant as always. The on stage banter by Chris Bowes to the crowd was just brilliant, they're one band that I never tire of watching!

But Sabaton...Having wanting to see them for about 2/3 years, I was really excited to see them live. Man, did they deliver. I don't think I've ever seen a band with so much energy on stage. They were just a damn right joy!
The highlights of their set had to be hearing Attero Dominatus, The Art of War and Carolus Rex - I was grinning ear to ear! One thing I would have liked were more songs off The Art of War, like Panzerampf, 40-1 or Cliffs of Gallipoli - That album is the like power metal's Powerslave.

For my first gig of 2016, this one was a great way to start the year off! :)

12771869_683114435058364_7115598884499851488_o.jpg

The London date will be my next concert. Some unicorns will be involved I think. :D

Saw UFO last night and they are everything Eddie Trunk claims. :rocker:
Very tight HARD rockin' band. I had heard of how great guitarist Vinnie Moore is for years, but now I finally know why. His extended jams were jaw dropping. The singer Phil was bald and skinny (did not look like I expected) but sang great. Did not know the keyboardist plays rhythm guitar more than keyboards live. Another reason why they sounded so tight live.

When we left, my buddy said here in the US they never got the recognition they deserve. Very true. Few weeks ago, told a different friend I was going to see UFO and he said "Who?" Then I said "the band Michael Schenker was the guitarist for" and he said "Oh yeah..."

Was cool to finally see "Doctor Doctor"played live and not just a recording (like Maiden uses)

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/ufo/2016/concert-pub-north-houston-tx-7bf0da14.html

Last edited:
Looks like I'm going to head to Heavy Montreal this year. On the list:
Five Finger Death Punch, Disturbed, Nightwish, Volbeat, Mastodon, Killswitch Engage, Breaking Benjamin, Black Label Society, Ghost, Zakk Wylde, Blind Guardian, Sabaton, Alter Bridge, and more!

Not bad at all.

I never got around to posting about Amorphis last weekend. I saw them at an absolutely tiny club venue in Manchester - couldn't be more different from the last time I saw them, which was supporting Nightwish at a sold-out Wembley Arena in December. A lot of people didn't turn up until the end of the support acts (a Greek progressive/alternative metal band called Poem, and Dutch band Textures), so I managed to get a spot just back from the barrier. Amorphis can join my list of bands that are spot on live, the full band sounded very polished. Tomi's vocals were exceptionally good, he switches between growls and clean vocals effortlessly, I wasn't sure how well he'd manage that live. The only hiccup was a photographer somehow managing to unplug Tomi in the second song, meaning he missed the first verse and chorus. :facepalm: Luckily the audience knew the words and sang it for him....badly.

Nobody put the setlist up from Manchester on Setlist.fm, but I believe it was the same as this one:
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/amorphis/2016/fleece-bristol-england-5bf02b88.html

Six of the best songs from Under the Red Cloud, which were impressive, if not a surprise seeing as this tour is in support of the album. Death of a King opened the encore effectively, although it wasn't as immense as I was hoping, they seem to rush through it. People who heard it played as the opener at Wembley were massively impressed by it - I missed it back then, unfortunately.

It was also good to see them include older songs like On Rich and Poor, and Drowned Maid, in there for some variety. Closing with Silver Bride and The Smoke was very well received.

If anything, I wish more people listened to this band. They have plenty of music that's accessible, potentially even radio-friendly, it seems something of a shame that they're playing tiny, dank venues.

IMG_0136_zpszpmuefk0.jpg

IMG_0145_zpsej7p4ur1.jpg

IMG_0134_zpsrxhhyxnh.jpg

You can never have too much metal in one week. I was considering adding to my Maiden week by going to Gothenburg after Oslo.

Just finished watching Metal Church destroy Reggie's in Chicago. 1st tour with Mike Howe on vocals in 20 years & he might have given 1 of the best vocal performances i have ever heard in 30 years of concert attendance! Cool to see Chris Cafferty fill in on this tour...MAJOR shredder! Loved the setlist...except
they did not play the song Metal Church!
This show alone was worth the flight from Texas, but seeing Maiden Wednesday (& meeting forum members) will be the finale of the trip! Here is the link for the setlist:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/metal-church/2016/reggies-rock-club-chicago-il-3f049cb.html

I just bought myself a ticket for the Sunday of Download Festival. My concert schedule is now as follows:

May 22nd: Blind Guardian, London
June 12th: Iron Maiden, Download Festival
June 15th: Iron Maiden, Oslo
June 19th: Testament, Oxford

I'm not sure if this is relevant to anyone's interests here, but I'm seeing Taylor Swift in October.

Back