The Concert Thread

2023 was a great concert year for me. Really strong mix, had a couple concerts be postponed to next year which was fine. The concert season ended last night in Seattle.
  • Anthrax & Black Label Society w/ Exodus
  • John Mellencamp
  • Alter Bridge w/ Mammoth WVH & Pistols at Dawn
  • Dream Theater w/ Devin Townsend & Animals as Leaders
  • Volbeat w/ Halestorm
  • Trooper w/ Chilliwack & Harlequin
  • Pat Benatar
  • Iron Maiden w/ Atreyu
  • Matthew Good (Acoustic Show)
  • Ann Wilson
  • ZZ Top
  • Guns N Roses w/ Alice In Chains
  • Heart w/ Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Evening
The best show was Iron Maiden, followed by Alter Bridge, Dream Theater and GNR. I hadn't heard any Devin Townsend before the show, I now own all his solo records and some Strapping.

Haven't updated since this, 2024 has shaped up nicely, I've seen:
  • Judas Priest, Saxon & Uriah Heep - Happened to be in London for a work trip they played my last night there.
  • Foreigner
  • Pearl Jam
  • Billy Joel w/ Jason Bonham
  • The Rolling Stones
Upcoming:
  • Blondie
  • P!nk
  • Evanescence & Halestorm w/ The Warning
  • Bruce Springsteen
  • Myles Kennedy (2025)
Potentially:
  • Metallica
  • Maiden
  • Judas Priest
  • Amorphis & Dark Tranquility
  • Pat Benatar
  • W.A.S.P.

Dream Theater + meet and greet in November. This might be the most excited I've been for any concert ever
Cool!
Queensryche "The Origins Tour" in January. This is the first time QR comes here with Todd on vocals so that's extra cool. Also seeing The Warning as well as the first EP in full is great since Geoff didn't play anything from those when I saw his solo band.
Damn they skip Belgium. Usually I´m travelling to Finland in january so I might see them there!

Last night saw Malevolence and Kerry King open for Lamb of God!
What a night!
Even though seeing LOG play Ashes of the Wake in its entirety was a dream come true, highlight of the evening was seeing Kerry King play 2 Slayer songs back to back!

I haven't been to a show this year, but the plans for the rest of the year are pretty big.

05/25/2024BelgradeRammstein
05/30/2024BelgradeNikola Vranjković
07/16/2024SofiaBruce Dickinson
07/23/2024ZagrebQueens Of The Stone Age
07/24/2024ZagrebQueens Of The Stone Age
08/03/2024BelgradeAbbath
09/27/2024RomeDavid Gilmour
11/01/2024BudapestDream Theater
Rammstein and Bruce were great, didn't go to Vranjković's show because of a storm that day, and both QOTSA shows got cancelled :(

Updated plans:
08/03/2024BelgradeAbbath
09/03/2024BelgradeNikola Vranjković
09/27/2024RomeDavid Gilmour
10/08/2024BelgradeRage
11/01/2024BudapestDream Theater
11/23/2024ThessalonikiAnaal Nathrakh

Saw Metallica last night at Soldier Field (and have tickets to tomorrow night as well), nothing I hadn't seen before in terms of the setlist, but a damn solid set with great sound. Was a bit worried how this would sound in comparison to being in an enclosed dome last year, but even in the open-air environment they still sounded great.

Creeping Death
Harvester of Sorrow
Holier Than Thou
King Nothing
72 Seasons
If Darkness Had a Son
Fade to Black
Shadows Follow
Orion
Nothing Else Matters
Sad But True
Blackened
Fuel
Seek and Destroy
Master of Puppets

Not a fan of them constricting the setlist length even further to only 15 songs, but, it's been suggested that's to make room for Inamorata, which they debuted at the start of the year and will play on Sunday. The drop to 15 isn't really noticeable in the grand scheme of things, but I'm hoping next time they come around they're not down to 13-14?

Saw Metallica last night at Soldier Field (and have tickets to tomorrow night as well), nothing I hadn't seen before in terms of the setlist, but a damn solid set with great sound. Was a bit worried how this would sound in comparison to being in an enclosed dome last year, but even in the open-air environment they still sounded great.

Creeping Death
Harvester of Sorrow
Holier Than Thou
King Nothing
72 Seasons
If Darkness Had a Son
Fade to Black
Shadows Follow
Orion
Nothing Else Matters
Sad But True
Blackened
Fuel
Seek and Destroy
Master of Puppets

Not a fan of them constricting the setlist length even further to only 15 songs, but, it's been suggested that's to make room for Inamorata, which they debuted at the start of the year and will play on Sunday. The drop to 15 isn't really noticeable in the grand scheme of things, but I'm hoping next time they come around they're not down to 13-14?
I was also there and it was absolutely spectacular! The sound was shockingly decent from my seats and the band was on fire. It’s my first time seeing them where I’ve had zero criticisms of Lars (who is doing a great job playing to a click) and Kirk (who seemed to actually hit every note). Great show! Can’t wait for tomorrow.

This was only my third time seeing them and a third of the set was new for me: Orion, Holier Than Thou and the 72 Seasons tracks.

I still absolutely hate the Kirk/Rob jams, though.

Was going to say technical/performance gremlins were at an absolute minimum last night. St. Louis last year one of the hydraulic lifts for one of the drum kits failed on the Friday show and Kirk had guitar signal issues/tuning issues aplenty on Sunday.

I actually thought their jam last night was pretty solid. Funky as hell.

Creeping Death
Harvester of Sorrow
Holier Than Thou
King Nothing
72 Seasons
If Darkness Had a Son
Fade to Black
Shadows Follow
Orion
Nothing Else Matters
Sad But True
Blackened
Fuel
Seek and Destroy
Master of Puppets

Good to note, I'm seeing them night 1 in Seattle, hoping they keep Fade To Black in the setlist for it. Glad it sounded good in the open air!

Welp, probably out for my 'travelling show' for The Future Past. Was eyeballing Charlotte, but, in inspecting my car this morning having not driven it since returning from Soldier Field on Friday night -- I've got a flat. Installing a full set today before heading back out to Soldier Field, so, probably only going to stick with the Rosemont show for Maiden.

I saw the Manic Street Preachers and Suede at Cardiff Castle (what a beautiful venue for concerts) with my family last Saturday and we had a blast.

Suede went on stage first and played a nice set, with Brett Anderson oozing charisma and spending quite some time singing with the fans on the front row. A superb frontman.

The night belonged to the Manics though, with the show being a home turf one. From the opener, You Love Us, to the final song, If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next, we were treated to a superb show mixing the hits from the 90s with some more recent material and even one song off the maligned Lifeblood.

The weather held off for most of the gig, but it started raining heavily during the final songs (heavens opened during Tsunami! :lol:). After finishing playing the last song on the setlist, a very wet James Dean Bradfield (we were all drenched) stayed on stage and played a snippet of Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head. :lol:

Can’t wait to see them again in London next week!

The Manics were great at the Ally Pally Park in London last month. Two setlist changes from the gig I saw 12 days before in Cardiff: a beautiful and poignant version of This is Yesterday (instead of Suicide is Painless) and No Surface All Feeling (with Spirit of Radio from Rush as intro and a bit of Today from Smashing Pumpkins at the end) instead of Tsunami.

I do not have tickets for any shows until November (The Cult's 40th anniversary tour), although that might change if there is anything interesting at a local venue before then.

Back