The Concert Thread

01.06.2024. - Bruce Dickinson (Budapest)
06.07.2024. - Pearl Jam (Barcelona)
13.07.2024. - Bruce Dickinson (Zagreb)
maybe
29.10.2024. - Dream Theater (Zagreb)

Tonight (maybe; my flight to Austin keeps getting delayed!): Dangerous Toys/Armored Saint
5-20: Obituary/Cannibal Corpse/Amon Amarth
5-29: Saxon /Uriah Heep (buddy taking me for my birthday week prior)
5-31: Obituary in Dallas
6-7: Tesla
6-19: Drive by Truckers
6-29: Lynch Mob
6-30: Doobie Brothers/Robert Cray
7-6: Sarah Mac
7-21: Lamb of God/Kerry King/Malevolent
8-3: Megadeth
8-17: Deep Purple/Yes
8-23: Hagar/Satriani/Anthony/Bonham play VH
9-5: Bush/Jerry Cantrell/Candlebox
9-14: Creed/3 Doors Down
9-15: U.D.O. in Dallas
9-28: Kaleo in Austin
9-29: KK'S Priest/Accept in Austin (will but tix tomorrow)
10-2: Leprous
10-5: Chris Botti in Charleston (my favorite jazz trumpet player)
10-11: Experience Hendrix in Ft Worth
10-18: Testament/Kreator/ Possessed
10-26: Kansas in Austin
11-16: IRON MAIDEN in Ft Worth
12-2: Pineapple Thief in Dallas

Tonight (maybe; my flight to Austin keeps getting delayed!): Dangerous Toys/Armored Saint
5-20: Obituary/Cannibal Corpse/Amon Amarth
5-29: Saxon /Uriah Heep (buddy taking me for my birthday week prior)
5-31: Obituary in Dallas
6-7: Tesla
6-19: Drive by Truckers
6-29: Lynch Mob
6-30: Doobie Brothers/Robert Cray
7-6: Sarah Mac
7-21: Lamb of God/Kerry King/Malevolent
8-3: Megadeth
8-17: Deep Purple/Yes
8-23: Hagar/Satriani/Anthony/Bonham play VH
9-5: Bush/Jerry Cantrell/Candlebox
9-14: Creed/3 Doors Down
9-15: U.D.O. in Dallas
9-28: Kaleo in Austin
9-29: KK'S Priest/Accept in Austin (will but tix tomorrow)
10-2: Leprous
10-5: Chris Botti in Charleston (my favorite jazz trumpet player)
10-11: Experience Hendrix in Ft Worth
10-18: Testament/Kreator/ Possessed
10-26: Kansas in Austin
11-16: IRON MAIDEN in Ft Worth
12-2: Pineapple Thief in Dallas
That's one hell of a lineup! Hope you make it to Saint tonight.

Concert recap, as the last two months have been huge for shows!

Armored Saint (and, technically, Queensryche) 4.9.24 in Rockford, IL - Pics and videos here!
Drove all the way out to Rockford to see The Saint pummel a 45 minute opening set and it was worth every second. They played every song I wanted to hear from their recent setlist rotations. Just awesome, as always. No offense to Todd la Torre and the boys, but we did not stay for them.

Sabaton/Judas Priest 5.1.24 in Rosemont, IL - Sabaton videos here/Priest videos here
aka Joakim tries to warm up a seated, older crowd in a fancy theater! Sabaton were good, though Joakim seemed a bit sick (first time I've ever seen him consistently disappear backstage whenever he wasn't singing). Tommy Johanson is missed, though Thobbe did a solid job on his first tour back. Setlist was tight, the band sounded great, and by the end of it everyone was having a good time. Priest were solid, though Halford had many vocal inconsistencies (still crushing it for a grandpa, I guess). Halford sounded way better on the new stuff than on the classics. I doubt I'll see Priest again, so it was fun.

Unleash The Archers 5.3.24 in Chicago, IL - Videos here!
Local metal fest somehow features amazing non-local headliner! We got a special, "Friday Night after 9pm Only" ticket for like $25, showed up about 90 mins before the set, drank some beers, caught a bit of a silly band called Striker, and then experienced the joy of my first Unleash The Archers show! They were absolutely incredible. 10/10, no notes. Actually, one note, really wished they would have played The Wind That Shapes The Land. But we did get to see the live premiere of Green & Glass, so that was cool.

MILWAUKEE METAL FEST 5.17.24 in Milwaukee
This was a three day fest, but @Detective Beauregard and I only attended Friday (aka Power Metal Day). It was stellar, even if the sound at The Rave is still absolute horseshit. We got there right before the first band and waited in line for the main stage (where everyone we wanted to see was playing).

Lords of the Trident - Videos here!
Awesome, occasionally hilarious over-the-top power metal band from Madison, WI that sounds way better than they should considering how silly they can be. The singer is insanely talented, considering he's wearing shoulder pads and carries around a confetti sword. They had a bit of rough draw opening the stage (running 15 minutes behind) and having such a short set, but they were still fun.

Night Demon - Pic and videos here!
I was a big fan of their 2023 album, Outsider, and despite a super short set these guys absolutely rock live! Energy for days, they sound and play great, they've got a silly mascot that appears during a song, and the lead singer plays a Flying V bass! Absolutely amazing set. Loved it.

Visigoth - Videos here!
One of the bands I was most looking forward to and there was literally only one complaint about their set: it was too short! It's evident from the moment they started playing that these guys just fucking love playing their music. Jake, the lead singer, is so into what he's doing that you'd swear they were in the middle of a huge tour and not playing a one-off 25 minute gig. I wish they would've played some more material from their first record (the amazing The Revenant King) but also, every song on that album is over 7 minutes long. Loved their set, can't wait to hear more! The lead singer also ended up right next to us in the pit during Blind Guardian's set (obviously, he's a massive fan) and I spoke to him afterwards for a little bit. New music announcement is hopefully coming in a few months!

After this, we took a small break for more beers and to meet up with @Lampwick 43! We caught a little bit of Eternal Champion, but they really didn't do much for me after the three previous bands.

Symphony X - Pics and videos here!
Ah yes, the one, the only, the mighty Sir Russell Allen, Maestro Michael Romeo and the boys! They were exceptional as always and we actually ended up right on the railing front and center. It was fantastic. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't massively disappointed in their setlist (just ask Detective and Lampwick - I ranted for quite awhile) but 45 minutes for a band like them is nuts. Always good to see them, regardless.

Kamelot - Videos here!
We started out their set towards the back of the room, but after a couple songs I was motivated to move forward. They put on a great show as always and actually spent half the set (all 8 songs) playing pre-Tommy material, so that was nice. Their performance is always incredible, but also incredibly choreographed. So many blasts of smoke and "hey, hey, hey's!"

Blind Guardian - Videos here!
Closing out the night, it was my first experience with Professor Hansi and what an experience! They kicked some serious ass and I'm really glad we stuck around for their whole set. They played all the songs I wanted to hear (considering I know very little of their music) and inspired some seriously beautiful sing-a-longs. A fantastic end to the evening!

MILWAUKEE METAL FEST 5.17.24 in Milwaukee
This was a three day fest, but @Detective Beauregard and I only attended Friday (aka Power Metal Day). It was stellar, even if the sound at The Rave is still absolute horseshit. We got there right before the first band and waited in line for the main stage (where everyone we wanted to see was playing).
Great videos from the Milwaukee Metal Fest, damn, you were really close to the stage!!!!

Saw Obituary, Cannibal Corpse, & Amon Amarth last night!
Opening band was a Ft Worth band called Frozen Soul that did a great job warming up the crowd!
What a celebration of Death Metal!
Place was packed and great performance from all!
Obituary I have seen several times but the other bands were our first time.
Was impressed with Amon Amarth 's production!
Loved not only their stage, but also the actors on stage. They had Vikings fighting each other and Loki taunting the singer

Attachments

• 20240520_211925.jpg
    20240520_211925.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
Bruce last night great set, seeing him tomorrow too, looking forward

Limehouse Lizzy, a Thin Lizzy tribute band, great show, I saw them a couple of times 20 odd years ago, surprised they're still going, but pulled a great crowd and put on a great show

Bruce last night great set, seeing him tomorrow too, looking forward

Limehouse Lizzy, a Thin Lizzy tribute band, great show, I saw them a couple of times 20 odd years ago, surprised they're still going, but pulled a great crowd and put on a great show

Limehouse Lizzy are superb!

For me, next show will be Tool in London on 3rd June. I can't wait!

Seen Sting at Arena Stožice tonight.

Would highly recommend. Dominic Miller is a beast. And this trio version is probably the closest we will ever get to The Police reunion.

Saw Saxon/Uriah Heep last night.
Wow! Both bands ROCKED!
4th time I've seen Saxon and they never disappoint me but was finally my 1st time to see UH. Very impressive! I can see/hear their influence on Dream Theater.
Every member of UH had talent through the roof!
Didn't know their keyboardist is Adam Wakeman!

Back on Friday, drove 4 hours with my buddy to see Obituary headline Trees in Dallas.
Place was PACKED!
Luckily, I saw stairs leading up and checked it out.
Lead to a balcony with tables, stools, sofas , another bar and more bathrooms (lucky for my buddy too since the Carolina Reaper tacos and cheesecake milkshake he had hit him hard during the set)!
They rearranged the set to play bunch of old songs then bunch of new.
Worked well.
God those guys put out some powerful music live!
My favorite of the new lp is My Will to Live

Saw Saxon/Uriah Heep last night.
Wow! Both bands ROCKED!
4th time I've seen Saxon and they never disappoint me but was finally my 1st time to see UH. Very impressive! I can see/hear their influence on Dream Theater.
Every member of UH had talent through the roof!
Didn't know their keyboardist is Adam Wakeman!

Uriah Heep are a fantastic band. I saw them live back in 2003 and they were impressive back then.

Their last few albums are great and the material with David Byron in the early 70s is mostly superb.

Back on Friday, drove 4 hours with my buddy to see Obituary headline Trees in Dallas.
Place was PACKED!
Luckily, I saw stairs leading up and checked it out.
Lead to a balcony with tables, stools, sofas , another bar and more bathrooms (lucky for my buddy too since the Carolina Reaper tacos and cheesecake milkshake he had hit him hard during the set)!
They rearranged the set to play bunch of old songs then bunch of new.
Worked well.
God those guys put out some powerful music live!
My favorite of the new lp is My Will to Live

I saw their headlining set in Birmingham! First US show of the year and it KILLED! Chopped in Half/Turned Inside Out and Visions in my Head were my favorites. Barely Alive was great too as the “opener”. Pit was pretty insane too, I got knocked on my ass so hard I was bruised for 2 weeks. My brother and I couldn’t believe how good the mix was too.

Back