The Clairvoyant

How good is The Clairvoyant on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A very good song, with a killer chorus. But I feel some of the transitions are a bit abrupt, so will only give this
8/10

10/10

Steve kicks off The Clairvoyant with a classic Maiden bass line, leading into a crunching riff and the central guitar melody. It never does what you expect and changes rhythm at every turn, thanks in no small part to the dynamic drumming of McBrain. The verses hit a staccato stride that should in no way meld with the anthemic gallop of the chorus (probably the best on the album), but Harris weaves it all together with ease.

I never liked this song much from the first time I heard it, all those years ago, but hearing it live made it a little more impressive to me. Steve is definitely a monster on this track. 8/10.

I loved this song from the first time I heard it all those years ago. It still is every bit as magical for me now as it was back then. In my Maiden top 10, (although, I have too many top 10 tracks for it to be a top 10 list, probably more a top 25 or something, but you get my drift). I love the atmosphere, and the beautiful vocal melody lines. IT is one of the tracks where I feel the magic is in the verses and the lyrics, not in the chorus, which is good, but far from their best chorus. I also love the beautiful harmonies between verse/chorus (although I believe Dave's part is played almost like a disharmony, which only adds to the effect). H also has some great rhytm figures throughout the verses, which sits so perfect with Dave's power chords. THen Dave's solo.... just eye-watering.

This is an interesting song for me because it's rare case where the most interesting thing for me is the vocals. The instrumental music works great but there is not a lot to it. I like the twin harmonies in between the verses and the solos are, as always, awesome, but that's about it in the instrumental department. Bruce's vocals are awesome though. The lyrics, the melodies, his delivery, it's all there. The music, while not amazing on its own, at least provides a solid foundation under the vocals. Solid tune.

Bass and guitar lines and riffs are superb in this song. I love the way the intro buildsinto the main guitar melody too. The quick transition into the chorus is fine in my book and it's a decent if not brilliant chorus.

Gets slightly repetitive by the end though.

Musically, this is brilliant. Fabulous bass intro and great use of the song's main melodies. Lyrically, it's also brilliant. Deep and meaningful lyrics very much in the same vein as "Infinite Dreams", we reach the point of the story where the Seventh Son of a Seventh Son is unable to control his powers and they eventually lead him to his own demise. This is some dark shit (and also a little bit depressing). That's where my gripe is: the music here is too happy-sounding to fit its subject matter, not in "Can I Play With Madness". However, it's not that big of an issue to bring my score down that much. I'll give it an 8 (keeping in mind that, with a matching instrumental, would've been a 10).

I really, really like this song but can't give it over 8/10. I don't really know why.

In a strange way, thematically it reminds me think of "Heaven Can Wait," but rewritten for a concept album.

I think everyone sounds great on this song. Steve's bass intro is amazing, the riffs are great, the vocal performance is very good and I love Nicko's drumming too. 9/10

I'm quite fond of this one, actually. It has a great beat and some nice melodies, feels a bit underrated even if its not heir best song by any means.

A driving bass riff is joined by rhythm guitar and a melodic lead. After a quick musical breakdown, the full-band version of the intro returns before giving way to a fantastic soaring verse with clean arpeggiated guitar behind it. This breaks into an excellent uptempo instrumental pre-chorus.

Another round of verse and pre-chorus, this time with an extra downward modulation, and we break into the excellent chorus, which gains great guitar accompaniment along the way. This cuts into a great solo followed by an excellent one, which gives way to a great variant of the verse.

Another instrumental pre-chorus leads back to that excellent chorus, which does an awesome downward modulation before an intro riff reprise and a final vocal finish out the song.

This is an utterly brilliant and unexpected rocker that echoes the main character's visions with its shifts between major and minor keys. One of the very finest songs the band has ever put to disc. 10/10.

Last edited:
An interesting bass intro builds via a cool riff before we enter a verse detailing the Seventh Son's visions. It does a good job at that, but the music isn't quite the band's best, nor is the chorus. The instrumental section is great though, and the song is quite effective as a whole. This is one that's always been kinda wobbly in my ratings, but it's higher now than it was earlier. 7

One of the best intros in Maiden's discography opens this brilliant song. The melodic riff is superb, so are the drums through the whole song - haunting melodies through it. Great verses, but the chorus is even better. Awesome solo from Dave (when you hear it, it seems Adrian dubbed the solo at the start of it). The end of the song is so awesome.

10/10.

Last edited:
I've been listening to 7th Son quite a bit lately, and this track is an ear-worm in my brain! One of the main riffs especially, eg from 0:28 to 0:38, keeps repeating in my head - great song! (9/10)

According to him, the inspiration for them
Harris extracted lyrics from a newspaper article
"The Sun" which was about the death of a famous person
"Psychic", by the British Doris Stokes (1920 - 1987).
The lyrics of this song were the spark of
which gave Harris the idea for an album
lyrics of the pieces of which would form a
single story.
The phrase "There's a time to live and a time to die"
has its roots in the following excerpt of the English version of the Old
Διαθήκης: “To every [thing there is] a season, and a time to every purpose
under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a
time to pluck up [that which is] planted˙ ”
(Ecclesiastes 3: 2).
The young man describes himself sweaty and tormented by
hallucinations, a condition that makes us assume that either suffers from
high fever or has used opium trying to escape
thoughts that torment him.
Human ingratitude and the futility of his self-sacrifice have him
shake. Fear has taken root in his mind and he is testing his faith in
control of its forces. He is afraid that the threads that have started to break
they connect him with reality. The young man has begun to consider death
redemption and prepares himself to meet "the creator".
Below the lyrics, in the insert,
the symbol of the three benefits is depicted inside
a chalice. It is a Christian symbol set
stems from the legend in which his faith
St. John was tried by the Emperor
Domitian (51 - 96 AD) who gave him to drink from
a chalice with poison, which
transformed to form three snakes as soon as the Saint
John went to drink it. It symbolizes her ordeal
faith.
His live performance at the Donington Festival on
August 20, 1988 was the third single
of the disk. According to him, Riggs inspired him
Eddie on the cover of the single by the Roman god Janus
(Janos) (from whose name the
the month of January, which was sacred to him). This
deity was depicted with sometimes two and sometimes three
faces on the same head. This illustration symbolized
that when Janus was looking at someone, he was also looking at
its past and future, which obviously
refers to the abilities of a prophet and the verses
of the piece.

When I re-listened to Seventh Son a month or so back this was the track which really made me stop what I was doing and focus. I particularly liked Bruces vocal harmony and the way he holds the notes at the end of the line. This is the sort of track that got me into metal

“The Clairvoyant”, in spite of its lyrics, is a bright spot in an album that doesn’t quite know where it’s going. It’s a dark rocker that instantly captures you with the bass intro and manages to keep that up throughout. Not perfect, but it’s pretty excellent through it all. 9/10

Back