The Clairvoyant

How good is The Clairvoyant on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'The Clairvoyant' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'the Clairvoyant'

This song begins with another one of Steve's great bass intros. It has a very catchy chorus and the rest of the song is good also.

Stranger's definitive rating: 4.2469780214 stars.

'the Clairvoyant'

I really dig this one. The bass intro is great, and so is the harmony part before the last chorus. The lyrics are extremely well thought of, I often listened to the song wondering how it would be to have such powers, what problems one would face. The only thing to complain about is that the song is simply too short.

'the Clairvoyant'

I don't like this one, its too blunt and not poignant enough for me. It seems like its going nowhere. This song is a step towards NPftD, but NPftD sounds better! [!--emo&:(--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sad.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'the Clairvoyant'

I'm a fan of it. Even though many fans class 7th son as their favourite maiden album, it isnt one of my favourites so i dont listen to it too much, but when i do, its a breath of fresh air really, including this song.

'the Clairvoyant'

I love the brilliant bass intro (like everyone else here it seems), and the whole feel of the song. This is one of my most favourite non-epic Maiden songs, along with The Wicker Man, Flight Of Icarus, among others.
Also 5 stars from me

Isn't it strange that as soon as you're born you're dying?

'the Clairvoyant'

4.5 stars pour moi. It's as close to perfect a song on SSoaSS there is, and was my favourite Maiden song for a long while (now Hallowed Be Thy Name/Afraid To Shoot Strangers). I dig that bass intro a lot, and the main riff is pretty sweet too. The way the whole song layers up into the song itself works for me, as do the lyrics. Bruce's vocals on the 2nd verse are really intense and are some of the best he's done, in my opinion. The one bad thing about this song, well, two things:
1. It ends.
2. Since lots of Maiden solos are near the end of the song, hearing the solo after the first chorus reminds you this song will end in about another two or three minutes. Great song though; lets hope it makes its way back into the setlists for History pt. 2 tour

Re: 'the Clairvoyant'

Now this is what's called perfection. It starts of with a brilliant bassintro (and just as easy at is is brilliant) and a few seconsd later,  there's this really moody melodie, which makes me smile and start humming. Bruce's vocals are very powerful in this song, and slightly more aggressive than on the previous album. Whether this is a bad thing can only be decided by the wonderful thing called "personal taste" so I won't start whining about if the vocals on No Prayer FOr The Dying and Fear OF The Dark are good or not. Instead, I just want to say how you in this case, "you" means "I") notice that the harsh vocals on i.e. Be Quick Or Be Dead originates from this album, and as well this song, although it does not appear on this song as much as it does on other songs (like Only The Good Die Young).

The lyrics are indeed phenomenal as the rest of 'em on the album, but there is one special point that this song has (although obvious) which makes me reflect and think of life. It's "isn't it strange
That as soon as you're born you're dying?"

I'd give it 5/5, but I'd like to add that the second point Raven made long ago (well...) is very true indeed. You do get irritated to be reminded of that the song ends by the solos.

Well, end of post. I really need to get going.

I'll join the rest of the flock and say that the bass intro is fabulous. As for the rest of the song I really like the backing instruments (whatever they are) that feature on most of the other songs on this album and give it that ethereal feel. The lyrics are also quite good, but what strikes me the most is the line "feel the sweat break on my brow" which is so similar to the line "I wipe the sweat from my brow" in Afraid to Shoot Strangers. Don't quite know why it strikes me, after all it's just a recurring image in Maiden's lyrics apparently.

Natalie said:
I'll join the rest of the flock and say that the bass intro is fabulous. As for the rest of the song I really like the backing instruments (whatever they are) that feature on most of the other songs on this album and give it that ethereal feel. The lyrics are also quite good, but what strikes me the most is the line "feel the sweat break on my brow" which is so similar to the line "I wipe the sweat from my brow" in Afraid to Shoot Strangers. Don't quite know why it strikes me, after all it's just a recurring image in Maiden's lyrics apparently.

The instruments in the background are synths.  Yes, they do give a great feel to the song.  And the lyrics are superb; coupled with Bruce's vocal performance, it's one of my favourite Maiden songs.

I do remember when this first came out and I also remember reading the guest reviews of the latest releases in Kerrang! They had Lisa Dominique and her brother (amongst others) reviewing them. This popped up and both LD and her brother concurred that they thought Maiden sounded tired and worn out.

I wonder what she is doing now? ;)

Natalie said:
[...] the bass intro is fabulous [...]

....so fabulous that the composer copied himself 2 years after when he wrote the intro of Tailgunner ;)

Albie said:
They had Lisa Dominique and her brother (amongst others) reviewing them. This popped up and both LD and her brother concurred that they thought Maiden sounded tired and worn out.

Lisa who...?  :p

No seriously, I've never heard of Ms. Dominique or her brother before you posted the above reply.

And yes the intro to Tailgunner is similar but not similar enough for me to agree with you on Steve having 'copied' himself.

Daily Song: The Clairvoyant

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: The Clairvoyant

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

I never have cared for this song. It's technically pretty good, but I never liked it. Meh. Who cares. Everyone else likes it, but I give it a 7/10.

Re: Daily Song: The Clairvoyant

Easy 9. Great song and the way it just so effortlessly builds from that great outro in "The Prophecy" is just sublime.

It's just awesome! The riffs, the solos, the bass-line and the lyrics! But I can't give it higher than 8/10, because that would mean that it matches up there with POTO & HBTN, which it doesn't.

8/10.

I've never understood why fans love this or why it was a single for that matter. Am I missing something? The chorus is uninteresting and the opening riff/outro and Dave's solo are too "joyful" sounding for a song about dying. 

At my first Maiden gig, this was the only song I had no idea was on the set list.  Okay, it was predictable, but I had managed to avoid spoilers for this song and I didn't anticipate it.  That feeling of surprise is a great memory.  And, this song is overall excellent, from the bass intro and the great melody to the catchy chorus and deep lyrics.  That being said, it's still not quite as good a rocker as Wasted Years, Aces High or The Evil that Men Do which I gave 9 to, so it's an 8, but one of the highest 8s I've given.

8 out of 10... A favorite of mine off the album... Dave's guitar is a highlight...

Back