"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me neither. On the other hand I also never thought they'd bring out bar stools on stage and play an acoustic track and they did that in 03 with Journeyman sooooo......
Did they actually have "barstools"? They did the whole acoustic guitars on separate stands thing earlier anyway; with Wasting Love back in the early nineties.
(Wow...I really haven't said much about the album yet. I'll say more after the album gets released)
You really haven't. Where you been, man!? :)

Also: I think there's a thread for TBOS predictions guys... :innocent:
http://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/tbos-predictions.31377/page-7

Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls World Tour (Setlist Prediction)

1: If Eternity Should Fail
2: Speed Of Light
3: 2 Minutes To Midnight
4: The Trooper
5: The Red And The Black
6: Coming Home
7: Blood Brothers
8: Run To The Hills
9: Wasted Years
10: The Book Of Souls
11: Phantom Of The Opera
12: Empire Of The Clouds
13: The Evil That Men Do
14: Fear Of The Dark
15: Iron Maiden
16: The Number Of The Beast
17: Hallowed Be Thy Name
18: Running Free/Sanctuary

(Wow...I really haven't said much about the album yet. I'll say more after the album gets released)

Looks good to me, but too long. I don't think they will play 18 songs, especially if they include songs two long songs over 10 minutes.

Maybe it's time for the lads to adopt the "an evening with Iron Maiden" ala "an evening with Rush" concept. I would love for them to drop the opening acts, add a few songs/have a twenty minute or so intermission.
Maybe opening half is 10 songs from TBOS, then the second half is from the others....

Looks good to me, but too long. I don't think they will play 18 songs, especially if they include songs two long songs over 10 minutes.

I dunno. If the band really does intend to do a setlist that's a fair balance of new and old songs, they'll almost definitely need to extend the setlist a bit.

Maybe it's time for the lads to adopt the "an evening with Iron Maiden" ala "an evening with Rush" concept. I would love for them to drop the opening acts, add a few songs/have a twenty minute or so intermission.
Maybe opening half is 10 songs from TBOS, then the second half is from the others....

While I'd never expect this to happen, it's both what I want to happen and what I think should happen. Besides, I think a twenty-to-thirty minute long intermission would probably give Bruce a nice breather, so that he can keep things going strong during the second half of the setlist.

My buddy that I use to work in a record store with, he now works with a magazine company ( I'm not allowed to say) has heard the album and is making a review!! He said that Maiden doesn't want any reviews out until they say so. But he told me that the album sounds like it's own album, but if he had to compare, it's Final Frontier and AMOLAD with a pinch of Somewhere in Time. SiT being the guitars sounding sort of digital, and a great vocal performance by Bruce. He said don't compare production to any other album. It sounds different. Good, but really different. Highlight of the album is with out of doubt Empire of the Clouds. He got me so hyped for this album!!

Well that sounds good! We're getting to that time of the release cycle where reviews should be pouring in and stuff once they are permitted of course.

Regarding the whole idea of 'an evening with Iron Maiden' tour idea - that would be awesome in theory. However, I can't imagine them ever doing it and even if they did it would be a super exclusive kind of thing. Not necessarily a full tour but a few one offs. I think expecting these guys to do much more than 2 hours live these days is asking a bit much.

My buddy that I use to work in a record store with, he now works with a magazine company ( I'm not allowed to say) has heard the album and is making a review!! He said that Maiden doesn't want any reviews out until they say so. But he told me that the album sounds like it's own album, but if he had to compare, it's Final Frontier and AMOLAD with a pinch of Somewhere in Time. SiT being the guitars sounding sort of digital, and a great vocal performance by Bruce. He said don't compare production to any other album. It sounds different. Good, but really different. Highlight of the album is with out of doubt Empire of the Clouds. He got me so hyped for this album!!

I'm not too surprised to hear this, but just the same, it's got me positively stoked to hear the album myself!

How can a production be "different"? I thought it was about the level of quality, ranging from good to bad.

My guess is that the review embargo will be lifted on the 14th when the single hits. Then push hard with as much coverage until the album drops, banking on social media, and information going viral.

I'm sure Rod doesn't trust the attention span of kids and the longevity of news with how quickly things come and go these days. At least that's my guess with why they will likely push hard once the single hits.

It seems as though this person feels the sound of TBOS is strikingly unlike any of the previous albums. It's a subjective matter whether or not the production is "good" or "bad".

Maybe all those who asked for something 'different' are going to get their wish?

My guess is that the review embargo will be lifted on the 14th when the single hits. Then push hard with as much coverage until the album drops, banking on social media, and information going viral.

I'm sure Rod doesn't trust the attention span of kids and the longevity of news with how quickly things come and go these days. At least that's my guess with why they will likely push hard once the single hits.

I do get the impression he's structuring the buildup. Instead of having a good few months, with an imminent tour, he was only given about two months to whip up the fanbase and newcomers to a frenzy. I imaging we're going to start getting more news as of next week.

It seems as though this person feels the sound of TBOS is strikingly unlike any of the previous albums. It's a subjective matter whether or not the production is "good" or "bad".

The teaser definitely sounds different to the past two or three albums sonically imo, so I'm not surprised to hear that the production (whether it's good or bad) is reminiscent of an album like SiT, which always stood out in comparison to other Maiden albums in its production. I have a feeling H might have gotten more input in the album's production this time around, while the band was waiting for Bruce to recover.

That said, based on the comparisons to both AMOLAD and TFF, I'm going to wager that the album also probably follows the assumed trajectory of the band's more old-school "progressive" songwriting style over the past decade, even if they've mixed things up a bit.

Maybe all those who asked for something 'different' are going to get their wish?

I think they will, but it's a wish they'll probably regret having. I think most of the fans who wanted something 'different' meant that they wanted something that sounded more 'old-school' with shorter, more compact Maiden tunes like in the 80's. If anything, it sounds like the band went even further into the progressive/experimental territory.

I'm not sure you know what music production is.
Well, I have been looking at production as a way to make music as clear and audible as possible. When it sounds
"different" then it's about music itself. I guess we are talking about different terms here.

Well, I have been looking at production as a way to make music as clear and audible as possible. When it sounds
"different" then we are talking about music itself. I guess we are talking about different terms here.

Not always; a guitarist could play the exact same riff in the same manner multiple times and have it sound completely different each time, if they change the settings and effects they're using with each take. It's why Piece of Mind has a more old-school, "fuzzy" guitar sound and why Somewhere in Time sounds incredibly futuristic and "digital."

"different" then we are talking about music itself. I guess we are talking about different terms here.

That's mixing. Just a small portion music production, which in itself goes into seperate parts.

Music production is way more intricate, complicated and valuable than you might think. Production plays as much of a role as the band/artist performing it, or the songwriters writing it. It can completely change the aura of an entire album. You have different instruments with different pedals that play into different amps with different mics located on different parts of the room grabbing the sound that comes from the amps, different signal chain that directs the sound to the different mixing equipments, different styles of mixing that's done on that equipment, then different styles of mastering that goes through the entire product.

This is all music production.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back